Tyres & Wheels Tyres

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Nighthawk, Monday 15th Sep, 2014.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    So, as my newly acquired alloys are drying in what is left of the british summer sun, I am debating my tyres to put on them. I have always put decent tyres on my cars, always replace all 4 corners at the same time, rotate them regularly and have never ever ever ever used cheap brands and won't start now in a car, especially one which ferries my kids around.

I am curious, what tyres do Hondas come out of the factory riding on? Its got bridgestones on it at the moment, no issues with them, but I am debating about either trying Goodyear/Dunlop (seeing Goodyear owns Dunlop), Michellin or Pirelli. Had continentals on it before I put the Bridgestones but they were far too soft and whilst they gripped like hell, they wore out really quickly. To be fair, I might just stick with what I have on the car now.

Just curious what others views on brands of tyres are?

2. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Personally for my Accords firestones or avons. Bridgestones if money allows.

3. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart
    Hi,

Ever considered Avon? I appreciate it looks somewhat jingoistic but, on the basis that Avon are the only company researching, developing and manufacturing tyres in GB, and they produce tyres that stand comparison with the best from any other manufacturer, I haven't used anything else on my motorcycles since the early 1980's.

As far as cars go, my Tourer came with Michelins - Energys on the back and Primacys on the front - it'll be a long time before I use 'em again as I find them too noisy. :Frown:They're all a bit close to the limit; as I'm in the Highlands, I need to research winter/snow tyres, but I'm hoping the Avon variety will turn out to be good. The Tourer (will) replace(d) (when it's finally sold :Frown:) a C-class Merc estate; that's got ZV5's on and they're :Hooray:

Hth.

Regards,

4. Nighthawk Guest

I know of Avon, but to be honest, I will only stick with premium brands. There are only 4 patches of postcard size rubber keeping my family on the road safely, I will always make sure that they are the best I can get. When it comes to tyres, money is no object. My kids are worth far more than 500 quid.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had Michelin pilot sport 3 which were fantastic and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.Also had Yokohama Advan sport which were factory fitted I believe, another tyre which has my vote.
    Currently have Goodyear F1 Eagle Assymetric 2 which are really good in dry and wet conditions.
    If money is no object then Michelin all the way.
    I too change all four at the same time.

6. Nighthawk Guest

Used to have Michellin Energy on a toyota, they were really hard and didnt wear down much but squealed for just looking at a bit of tarmac. I have heard the Pilot Sport ones are good so definitely worth taking a look at.

7. Nighthawk Guest

Anyone tried the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 2?

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got them on my car 225 45 18 for about 3 months now and done just over 6000 miles.
    Very good tyres and fantastic grip dry or wet conditions. I like them a lot.
    Not measured them yet for wear but don't look too bad.

9. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart
    Hi,

:Ermm: What makes you think Avon car tyres aren't a "premium brand"? Fwiw, I think pretty much the same way as you, motorcycle tyres have even less rubber on the road, large-engined Mercs make way-more power than any Accord engine; one way or another, I've entrusted my and passengers' safety to Avons for over three decades. That's why I suggested Avon.

Hth.

Regards,

10. Nighthawk Guest

I appreciated your suggestion and feedback, thank you, that was why I was curious and open as to other peoples input/experience of tyres. I respect your opinion about Avon however when I researched them a while back, they appeared to be more of a mid range brand of tyre, numerous articles about this, which cost around the same as the premium brands. In tests, their wet weather handling and braking distances do unfortunately appear to fall short. Avon own site quote their best tyres, ZV5 as a C in the rain as opposed to A of the premium tyres for example. Please, don't get me wrong, I am not trying to knock back what you are suggesting, but I feel for me, I would rather stick with more premium brands and pay roughly the same amount. Engine power wise is not an issue for me as I never drive my car flat out anyway. My concern is more for the avoidance of others on the road especially when my missus is driving the kids around.

11. Nighthawk Guest

@Zoran

You say you would put the michellins on yr car above the goodyears, any particular reason? One stand out more from the other?

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No particular reason at all.
    I always was told Michelin are the best but so far my Goodyear are just as good.
    Either of the two will be going next on my car.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've got Dunlops on the CR-V and they are noisy but grip better than the Nankings.

I had Energy ones on my 6th Generation and the grip was amazing but they wore down fast.

My 7th Generation has rainsport 2 on them and the wet grip is fantastic but there was talk of the sidewalls being weak so may be worth looking at rainsport 3?