Off-Topic UK speed limit raised to 80 mph

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AccordCU2, Monday 4th Jun, 2012.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I read about this somewhere last year and is supposed to happen in 2013.
    I think is about time they increased limit.
    Whats your opinion?

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not high enough in my opinion.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It will make things a bit better and journey time a bit faster.However if it gets Sunday drivers off the motorway I am all for it,they are a menace to themselves and others

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Plus 1 on Sunday drivers
    I think 80 is about right.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm guessing this will only be on a selection of motorways with a minimum number of lanes. Can't see every 70mph road suddenly becoming 80mph.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If i remember correctly it will only apply to motorways,dual carriageway etc will stay the same.

7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Try driving on a motorway down here if you're doing 70 you're in the left hand lane. I see no problem with the limit being raised higher than 80. If you hit something at 70 or 90 it doesn't make much difference to the outcome.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Two main problems that need curing more than raising the speed limit.

First is to make elephant racing illegal - ie trucks/lorries that cannot do more that 56-60mph trying to overtake on dual carriageways/m-ways. They cause congestion, tailbacks and slow everyone down and take years to overtake the other. It should be outright banned and they be forced to stay in the slow lane. End of.

Second is to educate the retards that hog the middle lane. Anyone who stays in the middle lane when the left lane is clear frankly needs their licence revoked.

Sorting those two problems out would increase average speeds in a flash. But overall, I do agree that speed limits need to rise. Absolutely nothing wrong with a limit of 110mph so long as it is a dry day. Maximum speeds should be installed to reflect prevailing weather conditions.

Rant over.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What if lorries were only allowed to operate in the nights that would clear up the motorway good and proper.

10. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

France has the right idea, no lorries at weekends. It was brought in years ago due to a bad accident I think.

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

We could do with that here - all WEEK!

12. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Couldn't agree more on the drivers who hog lanes 2 & 3 for no reason. Hate them with a passion. Should start giving them 3 points on their license for poor lane discipline or driving without due care and attention. They'll soon start to move over then or get banned, either works for me. :Smile:

13. Riptide Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah, I agree, not bothered about a 10mph increase, getting 3 lanes working properly would speed things up more.

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats a very good idea but would kill those businesses who need to do deliveries during the day. I have no gripes with haulage companies per se, but their drivers are utter tools. As said, lorries/trux etc should be completely banned from trying to do ANY overtaking on ANY road.

15. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice to know your thoughts on us!

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :Laughing: horses for courses bud.

17. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    The speed limit on interstate highways in America was nearly 80mph many years back. But then numerous fatalities caused them to cut back the top speed. You have to remember not every driver is capable of controlling a car at that speed. Even if you're a good driver, doesn't mean anyone else will be. And, the faster a car goes, the more dangerous it becomes to others, inside the car and outside.

Malibu, Ichiban and Ichiban like this.
  18. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A colleague said to me once it's a speed limit not a speed target.
    If people can't handle a car at speed, they need to slow down.

Abbey, Ichiban and Ichiban like this.
  19. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    And, i couldn't have said it better. What more to add, if you can't drive safe fast, slow down. Of course, that's the sensible thing to do, but not many people these days will slow down as it's often considered a 'right' (especially on American highways/interstate) to drive as fast as possible, at least up to if not exceeding the speed limits. Though of course, speeding is illegal here, just that many people think they should get away with it cause others do. And, of course, that makes interstate travel very dangerous when there are not many police out to monitor the situation.

20. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Let's get things in perspective guys, the speed limits imposed in the uk reflect the huge amount of vehicles on our tiny (by American standards) roads. Yes we all want to get to our destination as quick as possible due to the pressures of modern life, but as a lorry driver I see other road users completely ignoring warning signs designed to make our journeys safer. It is just as frustrating for the lorry driver when he is given tight schedules , limited driving hours and a heavy lorry in front of you who cannot maintain the 56 mph max imposed . There are lorry drivers who take the Micky with their overtaking manoeuvres but equally there are small vehicle drivers who cause us lorry drivers problems by cutting in front of us when we are approaching islands (at the correct speed and distance from the car in front) causing us to brake harder than necessary.
    Remember guys most lorry drivers are also car drivers and like you we all want to get home safely and as quickly as the conditions permit
    Mike c

Last edited: Sunday 15th Jul, 2012
    Nevyn likes this.