Service & Maintenance UK workshop manuals? - Starting issues

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Riknos, Friday 1st May, 2015.

1. Riknos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Does anyone know anywhere you can get the UK workshop manuals? Found some online for the US cars so not very relevant!

Thanks.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi @Riknos I'll find one. In the meantime feel free to introduce you and your ride in the new members section.

Riknos and Harvey like this.
  4. Riknos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Awesome - thank you!

The reason I ask is I've got a starting issue on the accord so have only been able to do 12 miles in it in over a month! Really frustrating!

5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

what issues are you having mate?

6. Riknos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just can't get the car to start. It was driven about 15 miles on the petrol light. filled to about 1/8 of a tank, then left for a week. Started it a week later for about 30 secs, then left it, and tried again the following weekend and it won't start.

Since then I've bought a new battery, fitted new plugs, tested the plugs and they're sparking okay. Car is getting fuel to the plugs as they smell of fuel and are wet. I assumed it's flooded so I left the plugs out for a week let them and the bores dry out then tried starting with the throttle wide open still no starting.

Going to change the fuel filter next as I figure it can't hurt, but can't think what else it can be?

Can't be ignition/immobiliser issues as the engine turns over. It's an auto and I've tried starting in both park and neutral.

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

a few things, is it getting air, is the netrual safety switch working is the crank sensor working?

Another thing you could try is disconnect the injectors and see if it will fire on whats left in the cylinders, could be that the fuel system is over pressurised dumping too much fuel into the cylinders, might even be a faulty CTS, telling the ECU the car is too cold and thus dumping loads of fuel into the pots.

8. Riknos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Okay so I checked the air filter and it's pretty new and not blocked - I've bought some ez start so my next idea was to spray some of that in the intake manifold. The air filter does seem to be very restrictive on these cars so I think taking the lid off while trying to start might help?

I haven't a clue about how to check the neutral safety switch or the crank sensor?
    How could I test these and the CTS?

I've checked for error codes and none are coming up.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Dodgy fuel? EZ start would be a good idea.

10. Riknos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was considering draining the tank but not sure how much of a pig of a job it is to do on these cars?

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Me neither. Maybe the electric fuel pump can be 'hot- wired' to pump it out for you? Or maybe you could rig up an alternate fuel supply?

Harvey likes this.
  12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

redneck gas can would work, alternative gravity fed fuel supply. was the fuel in question deffo petrol and not diesel?

13. Riknos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes definitely petrol and not diesel! Shell 95

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    In that case, I don't expect that Shell fuel would be bad. And you'd probably have heard of others having similar problems with that batch?

I think these engines have an EGR valve. Not sure what happens if it gets stuck open?

15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ok, but before you break into the fuel system, check the coolant temp sensor, if its telling the engine ECU its really cold, then it will dump too much fuel into the cylinders and it won't start or if it does run rich.

Good point @Zebste, a stuck open valve could cause a no start situation.

16. Riknos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Okay so I'll clean the EGR - any way of testing the CTS?

17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

only thing i can think of is with a multimeter, and test the reistance at temperature and see if its resisting or not. I am guessing here that the hotter it gets the more resistance it offers and thus tells the engine, hey its actually kinda toasty in here, no need to add more gas,

Riknos likes this.
  18. Riknos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will give that a go - cheers!

19. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If the car has an OBD2 port (only later 6th gens do) then a real time scanner will tell you what temperature reading the CTS is giving.

Harvey likes this.
  20. Riknos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes it does have an obd2 - Good point I forgot about a scanner