Pre-Purchase Undecided between 1.6 or 2.2

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by maelstrom, Thursday 19th Feb, 2015.

1. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave Stirling
    Hi,
    I have now decided to go for a CR-V. Tonight I am trying a 2WD 1.6 and on Sunday a 2.2 4 wd.
    I like ithe smaller engine for its economy and low tax, plus I always run winter tyres on my car and manage ok, so I don't really need 4WD.
    So the only reason I am still considering the larger engine is because i tend to keep my cars for a long time (10 years) and am a bit concerned that he smaller engine is rather stressed in the CR-V.
    What is the general opinion on this?
    Many thanks
    Dave

2. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    If I wanted to keep a car for ten years, I'd be strongly tempted to take the 2.0 petrol. What kind of annual mileage do you do?

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I don't think there's enough feedback on the 1.6 to give you a decent answer.
    The 2.2 is great. However, with both, you need to cover the miles to avoid DPF issues.

The 2.0 is a little thirstier, but being a Honda petrol engine, it's pretty bullet proof.

Please let us know how you got on after your test drives. :Hey:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The 2.2 I-DTEC is being discontinued for the CR-V shortly, and replaced by an updated (I think) version of the 1.6 I-DTEC to go with the CR-V range update.

I'd agree with @excel monkey and try the 2.0 litre petrol, though. My sister went to get a CR-V expecting to buy the diesel, but ended up with the petrol and loves it.

5. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thx. I am not considering petrol due to tax and MPG.
    I have a 50 mile round trip to work so not too bad for EGR.
    Tried the 1.6 tonight- nothing special, but I would be ok with it. Lovely car on the whole and feels well built.
    The model I tried had 18 inch wheels and side steps. I wouldn't really like these but anyway...

6. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    I just can't help thinking that a FWD version of something that's meant to be 4WD is a bit daft, like someone is only driving it for its looks but it has no real substance.
    Its only an opinion though and everyone has one but I think I would rather have the 2.2 as thats sounds like the better long term prospect.

7. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I might be wrong, but in my eyes the CR-V is more a car than an off-roader. For the same price I could buy the freelander 2 if I needed off-road ability.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Apart from AWD, is there any other reason you would prefer the 2.2?
    Thanks for your reply

8. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Just the added drivability and grunt from the 2.2 would make this a better everyday car to live with.

9. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will the fact that it is now discontinued a problem?

10. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I thought I remembered @Beefy say that DPF failure was a rarity in Hondas?

11. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hopefully trying a 2.2 tomorrow. Not to sure about going for an engine that is being discontinued, but I guess there are loads around.

12. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello, I niow tried the 1.6 twice and it is actually ok. The £30 tax and decent MPG is really appealing now.
    Also, is it worth spending a wee bit more to get the facelift model?

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes it is worth all the extra pennies the engine has been further revised more toys and overall better car. I would buy the MY15 if I was looking for a CR-V.

14. jrd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When is the new face lift version going to be available?

15. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

End of this month, start of April.

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The Honda website has been updated with the facelift CR-V (and Civic),so you can now build based on the new specs.

Nels likes this.
  17. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

with the facelift imminent there is bound to be deals around on pre facelift. but the revised version does look good.
    if you have the finances i would opt for the new one ... money would be biggest factor for me personally

i still would prefer a 2.2 engine in the CR-V due to size and weight but i am biased as thats the donkey i have

would not worry about 2.2 being discontinued plenty around and honda has to carry parts for years anyway

i liked the 1.6 unit in the Civic but concerns me in CR-V guise ... but im sure it will be grand

best of luck nice position to be in!!!

look forward to seeing your choice ...

18. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers, actually I am not really getting any special deals on pre facelift models.

Any idea if the new 1.6 CR-V will be euro 6 compliant?

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The 2.2 I-DTEC wasn't Euro 6 compliant so that's why Honda started fresh with the Earth Dreams engines, even the new 2.0 i-VTEC is Euro 6 compliant.

See here for more info Engine & Gearbox - 9th Generation Honda Civic with 1.6-litre i-DTEC Earthdream diesel engine
    - - - Updated - - -
    Here you go :-

Source: 2015 Honda CR-V to bring 129g/km 4WD diesel | Fleet World

Nels likes this.
  20. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, but what about the less powerful 1.6 which is currently used and will continue tone used on 2WD models?