Detailing Under body rust on UK cars

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by westcorkaccord, Saturday 24th Nov, 2012.

1. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    I brought my Accord to Ireland from the UK after one year. In Ireland people then to stay away from UK car due to a concern due to the amount of salt used on UK roads. Honda Ireland(Universal Honda Ireland Ltd ) are slow to look at corrosion issues with imported cars. I do notice that under bumbers and engine bay I do notice more rusting than should be there. What do UK car look like after four years in heavily salty areas ?. NOTE I had a 1995 Golf and my sister had a 1997 golf but lived by the sea in a beach house for two years. lift the engine coves and my car always looked better. All her hose clips very very rusty and alu parts were very corroded. What is your toughts ?.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What does Ireland use to treat the roads in winter ? The problem is people don't wash the undercarriage extensively after the winter period they just wash the exterior . So any car will suffer corrosion just due to that alone.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    During the winter I always hose down the under side of my cars when I was them. Some times I'll even hose just the under side if I don't have time to wash the exterior. None of my cars have suffered rust underneath and the accord is currently spotless at 4 years old.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have a look at this thread bud,I do this major clean in spring http://hondakarma.com/threads/1030/

As Doc if I have covered a few hundred miles in saltly conditions I jet wash the entire undercarriage no matter how late and how cold it was ... Just to get the salt off.

I do have a lot of surface rust but no major rusty parts despite this process.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  5. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    We do not get a lot of cold weather in the South West of the Country. Salt is used when it get cold and if and when we get snow grit is then put on the roads.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Then it has to be the harsh UK salt which hasn't been washed out on your car. if you plan to wash your undercarriage don't wash it down with warm water or steam. Just use plenty of cold water.

7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

How often do you do that in winter?

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    During the winter I do it every time I was the car which is usually every 2 weeks. As soon as I know they're salting the roads I'll start to do it then stop only after it has all washed off the roads after winter. That usually means it gets 2 good rinses after I know it shouldn't have got any more salt on it.

After I've cleaned the exterior I spray the entire under side from both sides front to back with a hose pipe. That makes sure I get in all the little crevices. The water's usually poring of it by that point so it gets a thorough rinse. It takes about 4-5 minutes each time.

9. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Do you jack up the car to do this, would you remove the wheels ?. With all the tight areas under the car ike the maize of covers under the engine and above exhaust heat reflectors, it can be quite difficult to get into these areas.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup that will be the best way of removing salt thoroughly hosing it down with a garden hose will help in the wheel arches .Its the subframe you want to be cleanly thoroughly which can only be done as I have done it.

11. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just wondering why you don't spray oil on the underside once it has dried after washing? A good 15w/40 oil lasts a long time. Even if it has been waxoyled a coat of clean new engine oil annually, or after washing underneath, keeps the waxoyl elastic and metal rust free in my experience.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No oil will just attract more grime an over time it will cake on you don't want mud to cake on. TBH the electrostatic primer used by honda is superb quality. As long the surface is clean the primer does get worse if it is not routined cleaned you won't see rust blisters or rust lines developing. I won't say to any one to use oil too old school school of thought.

13. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nothing wrong with 'old school'.
    The chap who looks after all my cars and a few other things, a professional mechanic with years of main dealer and heavy plant experience but having his own garage for the past 30 years, apart from the car servicing and repair side has a fleet of vans and Transit pick-ups on hire to the County Council. He is not impressed by my waxoyling efforts and says it dries out with time. He is a great believer in an annual oiling and suggests that a five yearly waxoyl with an annual proper oiling would be ideal.
    I'll post a few pictures of me waxoyling the Toyota taken a couple of years ago. It needs a good wash underneath after Winter and I intend to spray oil over it this year. It is 15 years old and the chassis is virtually rust free despite all the salt and farm animal shit that clings to the underside and hardly ever washing more than can be reached by a hose from the side, and then only lightly in order not to wash the waxoyl off.

UPDATE

Now posted pictures into an album which can be viewed under the 'Community' tab at the top of the page. Pictures taken July 2010.

Not sure how to lift the Honda or whether such a drastic Waxoyl is suitable. The hitch on my CR-V is the removable type that does not have a jaw and can't be unbolted and turned upsidedown to attach a sling. I'd like to protect the japanned finish on the subframes and the length along the sills in a foot wide strip either side, if nothing else.

Last edited: Saturday 23rd Feb, 2013
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As far as I can tell, they use exactly the same product, black Waxoyl, that I do. Two gallons of Waxoyl costs £60 at Halfords, so doing it myself saves me £1640. Thanks but I'll do it myself. The Toyota has lasted 15 years so far and if it lasts between 5 and ten years more I'll be a happy bunny. And it will.

I only hope that the Honda will be as good.
    You might be interested to know that the exhaust is completely original on it, as is almost everything else apart from a couple of small anti-roll bar drop links and one rear wheel bearing.

Last edited: Saturday 23rd Feb, 2013
  16. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yep during the summer I get the wheels off clean them, and then pressure wash the arches, when they are dry I spray some clear waxoyl on the suspension arms and brake lines, and then anything underneath that looks rusty.

For 3 or 4 hours effort it helps keep the car in good shape, should help with MoTs on older cars also.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not kleenteet coting it grey and not black its a smooth finish. does not require re-coating like waxoyl.