Body, Paint & Styling Under engine cover

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordCU2, Thursday 14th Feb, 2013.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have a little problem that need sorting ASAP.
    Just been for a drive when i heard rumbling noise from under the car,stopped to check and found that cover is only held by three screws and all the rest are broken and cannot be fixed back.

This attachment was lost due to a bug in our old forum software before launching Honda Karma.
    If you are the author of this post, please try and re-upload this image for future members.

Would i be ok to take it off and drive without it or shell out to replace all the plastics that hold the cover in place.
    Actual cover is metal and its ok but plastic where screws need to be fixed is broken and its making almighty rumbling noise.
    Anyone know of any 8th Generation breaking anywhere?
    CJ do you know what plastics need to be replaced?Looks like lot of it.

2. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

AccordCU2 likes this.
  3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for that.
    couldn't see properly but it look like that option would be hard as plastic trim that hold the cover is broken but will have a good look over the weekend whether it can be done.
    Thanks for suggestion,keep you posted.

4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

With all the salt and mud on the roads just now it's better on than off if possible.

Not unusual for garages not to put all the fasteners back unfortunately - another good reason to get up to speed with your DIYing!

AccordCU2 likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    AccordCU2 likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is an effective solution but if enthusiasts like me like to change the oil on a regular basis then even this temporary fix will soon be useless

It the opposite Cliff the entire cover on the 8th Generation is prone to flexing and twisting if these fasteners are over tightened. majority of Honda garages use pneumatic or hand tools and they will be over tightened 99% and plastics hate them... if they were left lose the cover won't be there it would have gone!!

All fasteners going on plastics should be done up by hand, I have serviced zorans car twice and spotted this and its in my DIY thread.. Advice to all 8th Generation owners to ensure these are not over tightened.

The entire plastic cover with cross member holders is over 200 quid brand new so have a word with garages when it goes in or remove the cover yourself before the car goes in.

Have a look at the PDF I have attached it gives you a better idea how the stock cover works and is put together..

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How stupid am i:Blushing:.Big thanks to Speedy and his good ears ans experience.
    We found actual culprit that makes rumbling noise.Big nail with some kind of washer in rear tyre.
    IMAG0610.
    In my defence cover is lose and its only hold in place by three fixings and need sorting anyway.

Nick Allen and Ichiban like this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That a bolt mate not a nail! :Aghast:

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    So the rumbling noise was more of a persistent ticking every time the wheel went round. You don't often see that a bolt right through the deepest part of the tread, that took some doing considering bolts are usually quite blunt. You've been very unlucky there.

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No point shutting the engine cover door after the tyre has bolted.

Sorry.

Nels likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That bolt is nothing compared to what I managed to get through a few week old Pirelli tyre few years back.

Going along the motorway managed to pick a bolt that holds the armco barriers together. Those things are massive !

I think as the front tyre went over it it caused it to stand up a bit and then when the back tyre went over it it wedged itself right into the tyre.

Rendered the tyre useless I was well peeved LOL

12. bobbybliss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Rob Heerhugowaard
    Hi CJ, Have you got a price for this part?

The plastic part of my undercover cracked when I totally overlooked a speedbump. The original part is very expensive!

Thanks.

13. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Personally I wouldn't bother repairing the lugs that hold the undershield unless the car was more noisy without it. I'd probably stow the undershield in a shed somewhere for a while and see how I get along without it.
    Just don't park on any long dry grass, just in case the grass catches fire.

If you do find any unacceptable extra noise or fuel consumption issues, you could always then repair the lugs and replace the under shield. Cars have run for a century without such smooth underbellies.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You have good point Quacker but personally I wouldn't be wanting to run without an undershield. All that water splashing up is going to rust out nuts and bolts.
    Making then harder to take off and a real eye sore.

Also sumps aren't made as strong as they use to be, the shield at least provides "some" protection to the sump.

Last edited: Monday 18th Feb, 2013
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Quacker is right however the heat should be limited and not so intense as the primary catalytic converter the 8th Generation petrol is bolted straight onto the head there is no exhaust manifold.

The secondary cat is after the downpipe and considerable smaller and the first cat will dissipate the heat but he is right if you drive you car on a open field with long dry grass the change of fire is very high and very real!