General unleaded in diesel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rhinogolf, Tuesday 26th Mar, 2013.

1. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Wife came home from work yesterday after filling up, son went straight out to work (cars a taxi for you who don't no) 30mins later phones going Dad car won't start, turning over but won't start, call AA i say first thoughts sounds like fuel filter, then dawned on me, checked wifes fuel receipt UNLEADED blaring out at me £36.70 worth Phoned son up told him to tell AA to tow the car to mechanic who looks after the car, i shot of to Honda dealer for a new fuel filter 3hrs later after £80+ of fuel drained out and system flushed car back up and running another £82.99 to fill up to the rim £36 for fuel filter and £60 for mechanic one expensive lesson learned.
    Been to Gatwick airport and back today another £70 of fuel gone in and every thing seems fine, just bought a special fuel cap so only diesel nozzle will go in. only £15 of ebay

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Easily done I guess. But I think the lesson will have been learnt, albiet the hard way.

Luckily no harm done to car, maybe the internals have had a bit of clean with some petrol going through them :Smile:

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is there likely to be any long term issues. Seals etc?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Most likely place for damage would be the fuel pump and injectors, if the engines still running well then these have escaped being damaged. Lucky escape !

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave lucky let off buddy!

You may want the diesel only stickers pasted around the house !! that will please her :Rolf: but seriously you want to invest in fuel angel or some sort preventative misfuelling device.

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    was this the 8th or 7th Generation? you want to keep your eye on the DPF if it was the 8th Generation. missfuel won't do it much good.

7. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Got away with this on a BMW 320d. Wife half filled with petrol, drove it until it stopped. Got it recovered, drained down, new fuel filter, and then topped up with diesel, took a few goes, but started, smoked a bit for a while, but seemed ok.

Think its not too bad this way around. Diesel in a petrol is worse I think, but the fuel filler size and flap should stop this.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Petrol in diesel is far worse Rich as the diesel also acts as lubricant. Where as petrol acts as a solvent and has the total opposite affect.

You guys that have got away with it have been lucky.

9. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Did straight away mate, luckily 1 was on ebay cheap

- - - Updated - - -

Luckily was 7th Generation the 8th Generation in with dealer on/off since january