Fuel Efficiency Unleaded or super unleaded?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by RobsyUK, Sunday 5th Jun, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Just wondering what you use and do you notice any differences?

I've only done 2 tanks but seem to get 40 more miles on super.
    At 5p more a litre I'm not certain it's worth it though.

After next week I'll do a 50 mile comparison.

2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its not super unleaded but just before the fuel started going back up i suddenly noticed a difference with fuels. Short journeys there was no difference but on a run I struggled to get what I had on previous runs. I put the same cheap fuel from another station in and re did the journey and my MPG went back up. When using top 97 RON fuels my MPG didn't change either. My conclusion is that my area tends to use a single fuel for all pumps. Over the years I've noticed when the quality drops but it's only happened a few times here. I tried shell vmax for a bit in my CR-V but it did nothing. I'll give BP ultimate another go as the weather is a lot warmer now and after 5 months of owning my CR-V my weekly MPG is consistent so I've a good bass line. I do think the car needs a few tank fulls of good fuel to get use to it so give this thread a bump in 3 weeks and I'll see what I get.

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Definitely agree @Racy Jace

When I tried standard Tesco unleaded, it took a good couple of weeks for the car to get back to what it was giving (MPG) and how it drove previously on BP Ultimate.

I won't use anything else now.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    BPUUL for me as it 100% petroleum no ethanol and engines love it.

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tough question to answer on a car enthusiasts forum. A bit like being asked by another bloke if you fancy his wife; damned if you do and damned if you don't!

To answer the question, +1 for premium fuel, although diesel in my case.

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

BPUUL in the Accord and BPUD in our other car.
    The Accord has only had premium unleaded. Our diesel runs much better on SVPD and BPUD.
    I'm not sure about any significant gains in MPG, but based on above and no ethanol, I'll stick with BPU.

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Shell V-power only for me and the one time I filled up with standard unleaded I got alot less miles out of a full tank.

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Not worth the extra cost. If you really need the increased octane or cetane then buy a suitable fuel treatment.

9. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I've always wondered if this way was cheaper @Zebster

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yes, but more fiddly!

11. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Especially so with the fuel filler pipe on the 4th Generation CR-V diesel.

12. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Well I've given it a few months of unleaded and a few months of super unleaded and have to say the results are in.

With unleaded I was getting around 280 miles to a tank. This was from yellow light on to rounding up to the nearest £.

With super unleaded there was NO DIFFERENCE!!

I kid you not. If anything there was a time I thought I was getting less.

The air con was on during most of the testing with the weather we have had but one thing I think needs further testing is this:

If I leave the heating system on full auto - air con comes on when required rather then adjusting the air con & fans manually I seem to get better fueling..

I know it's strange and I'm going to try full auto vs auto over the next few months.

One thing which probably caused the same milage despite fuel is that in MK we have a roundabout every quarter mile or less. If you don't get up to the speed limit when pulling out onto the main roads you're bit of a helmet so the foot needs to go down a little then followed by a lot of breaking to slow or even stop at the roundabout.
    There are names for idiots who do 40mph along the entire length of the 70's!!
    I hardly ever do motor way journeys.
    Which is why the results are so shocking.

Last edited: Sunday 18th Sep, 2016
    Zebster and Racy Jace like this.
  13. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yan Gloucester
    An interesting side note is that my FR-V won't display fuel economy better than 150mpg on the display but does appear to hold a greater value internally so that the average is calculated correctly later in the journey. (I was messing with the trip-counter while hyper-milling).

14. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London

Mines never ever show more than 19 or 20mpg, - I get about 210 or 220 miles out of a tank.

(automatic FR-V, lots and lots of stop and start in London)

15. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Zebster likes this.
  16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I certainly agree that the benefits of premium fuels are massively exaggerated. The current radio commercial for Shell VPN is rammed full of weasel words (such as 'may do' and 'could') indicating that even Shell have little confidence in their product!

18. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

This is referring to 95 VS 98 VS 99 octane.

19. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Indeed. I singled out Shell only because of the laughable words used in their current ad campaign for their premium, high octane product.

Are most Honda petrol engines really able to make much benefit from higher octane fuels?

20. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

My Jazz probably doesn't even know She'll/BP exist. :Grin: Asda is the only thing it has seen and gets 56+ MPG easily.

Zebster likes this.