Suspension, Steering and Brakes Unstable

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Kieren Shepherd, Sunday 12th Jul, 2015.

1. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
    Hi guys,

I've noticed something rather worrying during my weekly commute this week, the car is horrendously unstable at 60-70 mph.
    This is on the M25/A21, good conditions and minimal wind.

The car seems to slide from side to side by about (what feels like) 1 foot.
    I have had the tires changed to Continentals, had the balancing and weighting done and i was wondering if anyone else has come accross something similar to this?

I have checked all fluids and fuses, having the brakes changed this week and checked tire pressures.

I was wondering if when i had the car balanced if possibly the technician didnt re-tighten the nuts used to alter the camber possibly?

Any and all replies will be so appreciated!
    I don't really want to drive her as it feels worst each time.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Are you using reinforced tyres? Side walls flexing normally causes bad tramlining on the 7th/8th Generation, mine was once like that too with me constantly correcting the steering at high speed.

3. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
  4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Unfortunately most tyres come in both standard and reinforced versions so that doesn't help, the tyre side wall should say either "XL", "Extra Load", "Reinforced" or something to that effect.

5. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
    One other thing i should mention is the cars tendency to slip when turning tight corners to the left

The steering turns in far to much when the wheel is gently turned (even at low speeds of under 20mph)

As for the tires, i'll go check.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That does sound like conditions of a side wall flexing and pull off to the side, and mine was also more biased to the left as well - but to be honest, this could also be worn tie rod ends or some other suspension component. It's hard to gauge without having driven the car.

7. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
    Can confirm they are 'Extra Load', im surprised this makes the car so bloody unstable..

Suppose i'll need to go back and ask them if i can swap them..

Any recommendations on tire brands? I'd prefer not to spends huge amounts, as i'll be paying for servicing, brake replacements etc..
    - - - Updated - - -
    That is assuming they refuse to exchange them..

8. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    check out the goodyear eagle f1 , , haven't fitted mine yet but supposedly a great tyre.

9. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
    Just searching for tire prices i've noticed many of the 'big' suppliers reccomend 'XLs'

Is this an unknown problem? Or is it particular to certain cars?
    - - - Updated - - -
    In which case what are the chances that this would be covered under guarantee? I've had it for just over a year, and bought it as a manufacturer guaranteed car.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Did you mean that they aren't?

I very much doubt they'll let you swap them as they've been fitted now and partially used.

As @chris2982 says Goodyear Eagle F1s have pretty much become the forum's staple recommendation, excellent all-round tyres. I personally use Michelins which always perform extremely well albeit wearing faster than other brands.

The more premium offerings from Bridgestone and Yokohama are often praised on the forum.

Mainly heavier saloons and SUVs require them, but it's very much down to the suspension set-up in many ways.

Before making any rash decisions on tyres, I would have your suspension checked out - Honda's courtesy health check would cover this free of charge. But no, suspension wear and tear, like clutches, brakes and other consumables aren't covered under guarantee generally unless deemed to have had worn very prematurely.

11. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    No mention of Tyre pressure, do you check or just kick??

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

They will have been done when the tyres were fitted.

13. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When was that??? always taught W O T every time, Maybe Honda wheels are different and do not need checking??

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I hope you're not being serious mate :Laughing: But yes actually a lot of modern Honda's have TPMS which monitors pressures and reports anomalies to the driver using the iMID.

15. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No more to be said. you just keep blindly following your ways. I was making a suggestion that it would be a good idea to check the tyre pressures, I happen to have a "modern" car but do/would not trust a computer system to check the water, oil, and tyres on any car.

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Maybe experiment a little with the tyre pressures? I often find that running them on the high side gives better handling.

My Toyota had exactly the same instability/drifting feeling on A-roads and motorways after having it's last set of tyres (Toyo Proxes T1Rs, so reinforced). But this gradually disappeared after about 300 miles.

17. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Another thought, once when purchasing a new set of tyres (Dunlop) there was a manufacturing/fitting fault that caused the sidewall to bulge out on one of them really messing with the handling (and safety). Possibly a quick trip back to the fitter and have them put it up in the air and visually check them just in case? Shouldn't happen, but from experience it did.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Sorry mate, no offence was intended - I was joking about all tyres needing their pressure to be checked :Smile: For the record, I keep a gauge in my cars at all times and periodically check, I don't have TMPS. I just know his tyres can't have gone on without being inflated :Smile:

Worth noting too high will make the steering feel floaty. I actually under-inflate mine by 1-2psi for better traction.

Good shout Zack :Thumbup:

19. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I had the very same issues, unstable at 60mph and wondering, strange issue when turning. Honda dealership assured me that everything was OK. So in the end I fitted new tyres (XL type) and everything is now perfect. Rock solid at 70mph, steering is perfect on roundabouts.

Nels and DeviateDefiant like this.
  20. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

None taken