Guides Update: 4th Generation CR-V EX Manual Test Drive

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by TheDarkKnight, Saturday 9th Mar, 2013.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2.2 I-DTEC EX CR-V (Manual)

I was given the car for about 4 hours today - and I am thorough impressed by it.

It is leaps and bounds over the 3rd Generation CR-V that I drove last weekend - for me, its a no brainer now - the 3rd Generation is simply no longer an option.

The engine was sublime, amazingly quiet and pulled like a train - and felt it more in this than the Accord if only because you can feel the weight of the car being propelled, as the CR-V, by its very nature, carries a lot of dead weight with it.

Very easy to get the kids in and out of, despite being higher off the ground and the near 90-degree opening of the rear doors meant access was fantastic.

Now here's the sticking point.

Given the pending increases in the Honda range, a new CR-V for late April/early May delivery in EX guise will be around £32k. I have been offered several demonstrators, all in EX guise, with varying mileages on it for around £26k-£29k.

None of these prices include ADAS either. Going for ADAS means a new car, and another couple of grand on top naturally. I have however been given an offer to take a new build CR-V for just under £32k, but that includes:

• Full "Black Edition" kit (minus the alloys, as I think they're crap and wouldn't have black alloys given the poor UK roads)
      • Kit would mean no ADAS, full sports grille, sidesteps, rear spoiler
    • Full colour coding of the plasticy grey trim around the lower parts of the car
    • Full Aero kit front and rear bumpers
    • Full Illumination Pack

Only catch is that I have to order before 31st March.

Existing CR-V owners who have bought the 4th Generation; what are you thoughts and would you have opted for such a deal?

General thoughts as well would be most welcome.

Oh, and I am getting/being offered a heck of a lot for my Accord as well for trade in so I can't complain on that - as much as I would like to keep both, I don't need two cars.

Sorry for the long post!

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Look like you already made up your mind and CR-V is coming home.
    Never drove car with ADAS so don't know how much difference does it make having it or not.
    Last one you mentioned sound like one to go for.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nah not a done deal yet Zoran, as much as I would like it to be.

I'm just irked by the deadline - I appreciate for Honda (and me I guess) that it makes sense to do it before the new tax year and before the prices increase - I don't like to buy with "pressure" hanging over my head, if that makes sense.

I made it clear I am in no rush to buy, and I have a couple of weeks yet anyway, so will see how things pan out over the next couple of weeks.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just a bump to this thread.

We have several members here with the new CR-V and would of course welcome your input :Thumbup:

5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like the dealership want your money. Get them to through in 3 years servicing as well.

6. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi TDK,

How many miles had the demonstrator done? The reason I ask was your comments about it pulling like a train. When I first got mine, the engine seemed quite tight, although in the last few hundred miles (now at about 1500) it has noticeably loosened up. I agree with the smooth and quiet, unless you give it a lot of revs where it does sound a bit harsh compared to my previous diesel Golf.

Totally agree with the ease of access to the rear seats. It's also very handy if you already have one of the rear doors open you can just drop one of the seat backs and the height makes it simple to put something in the boot without having to go round the back and open the tailgate.

How important is the ADAS to you? It would have put the car out of my price range, but I'm not sure I would have chosen it anyway as I'm rather wary of automated systems. I've currently disabled the high beam assist on mine as it was making me too nervous wondering about what it was going to do next!

It looks like a lot of kit for the money. However, the deal breaker for me would be the black paint. I think black looks spectacular when it's just been cleaned/polished, but I feel it just shows the dirt too easily - just a personal view!

If it wasn't for the colour, I would have gone for the deal if it had been offered to me. If you like the colour, the kit and it has all the options you really want, then I would say go for it :Smile:

- - - Updated - - -

When I ordered my CR-V they had just replaced the 3 & 5 year service deals with a single 4 year plan for £399.

I've just been on the Honda UK website and I can't see the same deal?

Instead I found a page for "budget plan servicing" Budget Plan Servicing | Honda Owners | Cars | Honda (UK)

It quotes an example for a CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC ES: Initial payment £42.28 and monthly payments of £12.46 which would be £640.36 for 4 years :Aghast:

Hang on! there is also "fixed price servicing" Fixed Price Servicing | Honda Owners | Cars | Honda (UK)

For diesel engine cars, 5 years or 62500 miles - £995 :Aghast:

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They do. Sadly, the servicing plan (4 years @ £399) is not included no matter how hard I tried.

Rich

The demonstrator had churned over 5600 miles. It was driving as sweet as the Accord to be honest.

ADAS is important but its less so on the CR-V if only because its already expensive and that would add another £2500-odd to the bill. I guess I am spoiled by having it on the Accord and is why I would like it on the CR-V too (but again this means I would not be able to have the sports grille :Blink:).

Yes they are offering me a lot - and I am very tempted but what is putting me off is the depreciation after just a few months. Ok, so I buy new, £32K etc, that there are used/nearly new EX-spec CR-V's out there from £26-£29k with less than 7000 miles on the clock shows a big fall - thats money I could save.

I appreciate black is not the colour for everyone - but all my detailing gear that I have spent hundreds of pounds on is all black and it would all be useless if I picked another colour. I was taken by the silver (the dealer had an SE in silver due for delivery I looked at), but again, the lower trim in that plastic grey made it look cheap. Like a Nissan!

FYI

Offers | New CR-V | Cars| Honda (UK)

This shows the servicing deal I mentioned above; 4 years @ £399 which is not bad per se. I have time to make a decision, not gonna rush. Truth be told, I don't think I can make the biz case for it without the servicing included as thats what I had wanted but they flat out refused considering the gear they are willing to throw in, which when priced, is considerably more than the servicing deal so I can see why they are reticent.

We shall see.

8. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I took delivery of my CR-V Ex I-DTEC on 30th November. The dealer gave me £1,000 off the list price and I got five years servicing for £499. I also received a cheque from Honda for £500. Honda also had an interest free credit deal at the time so rather than pay the full price upfront I kept £5,000 in my savings account. A pretty good deal I think.

The car has been superb and I'm delighted with it. I'm amazed at how quickly it statrts when you press the start button. With the Accord I used to turn on the ignition and wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting the engine. Even in the bitterly cold weather the CR-V fires up instantaneously. I'm delighted with the motor, but I'm still not au fait with all of the bits and pieces. It's a very complicated bit of kit, but, being a Honda, all of this electronic gadgetry should prove to be reliable.

RichT likes this.
  9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Robbie

I do agree with you about how quick the Stop/Start ignition is - wonderful gizmo as is the keyless entry. Seems your deal is no longer available, particularly the 5-year service one.

Dumb question, so is your CR-V on finance?

If so, it would make sense why my dealer is being rigid on price - I wanted to do an outright purchase - I suspect because I am not going the finance route that they will not make as much out of me as they had hoped. There is a 0% offer on now, but for me its a no brainer. I'd rather pay outright - but appreciate everyone has differing financial obligations and needs.

I suppose I have until the end of the month to place an order before the £555 price hike on April 1st, but I am irked they won't throw in the servicing - which to me is important given the mileage I do.

10. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think you are right about them not offering much if you don't take a finance deal. I too prefer to do an outright purchase and couldn't get any discount, or the servicing (I ended up paying for the 4 year deal).

Or perhaps my negotiating skills are rubbish :Blushing:

I did get a good trade in on my Golf though.

11. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Not really. I could have paid cash, but when I learned of the no interest offer, from Honda, I decided to put 5k on finance. I don't like credit, but I thought why pay all upfront when I can earn a little interest. I can well afford the monthly payment of £166.67 over three years.

I bought my car from Lightcliffe Honda, Southport, and I know they have dealerships elsewhere. In this area they took over all of Looker's Honda franchises after Honda booted them. You could contact Nick at Southport - he's the General Manager - and see if he will do a deal with you. the no is 01704 500501.

- - - Updated - - -

I only decided to mtake the £5k at the last minute. It was done when I went to collect the car and pay for it. As it happened it was as well that I did. I had contacted HSBC to tell them that I would be paying for a new car with my debit card and wanted it to go through smoothly. No problem, I thought. When I came to pay the person at the other end wanted to speak to the card holder because of the amount. I was then put through to the Fraud Department, in India, who then asked me a number of questions about how much I had in my account; when I joined the Bank; and then my memorable number, memorable name, and password. I couldn't remember the memorable number, so he refused to let the payment go through. I lost my rag with him and he just put the 'phone down. Fortunately, I recalled that I had a £20,000 per day limit, so I went through the system again and the £20k went through. I paid the balance using my credit card. That wasn't too bad as I got an extra five weeks credit before I paid the balance on my card.

I complained to HSBC when I returned home, and after looking into it I got a hamper from them. In retrospect, I should have chosen the wine, as the hamper was mainly organic sweet stuff that I ended up throwing away.

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the details of the Southport dealer Rob, will give them a ring later in the week.

Like you, I can afford the credit etc, but truth be told, that is not my preferred option. Always had a habit of paying outright or not having the car at all. As for the HSBC thing, well I don't blame you for going mad at them - especially from someone in India. HSBC has been fined for their staff in India purging customer details and cloning them/selling them on. Thankfully I am in the process of closing my HSBC account down. I don't trust them at all.

I think the next car I buy will be with a bankers draft...takes time to process, but better than having a con artist sat in a crumblin Delhi tower block having the audacity to ask me questions about me who can then rinse my account. No bloody thanks mate!

Anyway, back to the CR-V - I will also speak with HH as well, see what they can offer...

13. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I have been with HSBC - was Midland - since I started at university eons ago. I have found them to be great, and I use their Internet banking facility that is very secure and excellent to use. Far better than Santander where I have my savings account. That was the first time that I have had to make a complaint and HSBC acted very swiftly and apologised. Any monies transferred from my HSBC account arrives in minutes at the receiving account.

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likewise Robbie, I was with Midland Bank, back in the day. But I guess customer services always vary.

Just a quick question, when you placed your CR-V order - how long did you have to wait for delivery?

15. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I ordered it early September and I took delivery 30th November. I think a lot depends on colour combination. I wanted ivory leather and Metal Metallic. I reckon if I'd wanted black leather and the light silver colour it would have arrived more quickly. I reckon I waited about twelve weeks.

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah thats about the time scale I was given. Add another 3 or 4 if I opt for ADAS on it.

17. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
  18. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Using car brokers probably won't get you some of the special deals and goodies that you would get from a good dealer. I might have saved £500 extra had I used Broadspeed, but I doubt if I would have had the deals with servicing and the free set of Honda mats for my CR-V. There is also the question of goodwill. I am more than happy with my dealer and I value their support if I ever have a problem.

RichT likes this.
  19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll be honest, not looked at brokers. My own experience is to avoid them. Agree, £32k is a lot to pay - in context, that broker isnt doing that good a deal on the CR-V when you look at it that way plus they can't match the other goodies Honda are throwing in.

Rather pay the extra for peace of mind via a proper Honda dealer to be honest. When you are spending that sort of money, a grand here or there barely resonates vis a vis the peace of mind you get with a trusted dealer - and I must say, mine has been very good to me.

20. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    I'm not suggesting you actually buy from a broker, but their prices are a good indicator of the margins dealers have to work with, typically 10-12% unless it's a really high demand model.

I really should stay away from threads like this. If the OP is happy with the deal, that's all that matters.

Last edited: Wednesday 13th Mar, 2013