Jazz Upgrading Front & Rear Speakers on 2003 Jazz

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by legend-ary, Sunday 3rd Jan, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    @Allwoods Audio I was just thinking about getting an Aux + USB adapter for my 2003 Jazz SE which will plug into the CD changer port and will act as a changer. I have no steering wheel control etc to worry about so should be pretty straight forward. The built in speakers are not too bad actually but ofcourse the whole system could do with some improvement.

That got me thinking what would the first step in getting clear sound. . I am not after super base and actually prefer good clear sound.

I am thinking speakers in all 4 doors. Is it worth getting budget but known brand speakers at all? how can one know what output the OEM headunit can support?

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    the OEM head unit will probably only giving out 15 watts or so per channel.
    if not you can get amplifiers that connects to OEM head units.. not massive windscreen smashing bass haha,, but a nice quality sound.. one of those and a couple sets of half decent coax and you should be very impressed .
    - - - Updated - - -
    amp :
    Ground Zero GZCS 4.60ISO
    - - - Updated - - -
    speakers:
    Radioactive GZRF 16FXII

the ground zero equipment offers excellent value for money..proving you do t have to spend a fortune to get a decent sound.

With the factory speakers in honda being fairly decent any 40 quid halfrauds special will be a waste of time.

we recently done some reviews for the majority of brands available in the UK and one of the sets were some ground zero components that retailed for 209 pound.. after testing and going over the results it was surprisingly close outcome against some sets costing 3 times as much.

legend-ary likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

oo an amp! so this will be connected in between the headunit and the speaker output? no splicing of wires required I hope.
    Coax would be the door speakers i suppose.

Seeing your updated response, would you say I go for speakers first or amp first? I know these things are not for people with faint wallets but I am sure there must be a way to be on a very tight budget (read: no budget) and still accumulate the right equipment over time.

Haha as you can see I am completely uninitiated to the world of audio so might be speaking complete jibberish.

4. sorry ,, forgot to swap accounts. .

rockford fosgate is another brand worth look into,, bit more expensive than the ground zero stuff but great quality.

chris
    :Smile:

legend-ary likes this.
  5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

haha no worries.. hmm I would probably stay at the bottom end of the market... I know im being cheap but I have a non-existing budget so will actually save up for it. Halford's guide says speakers are 6.5" while a quick search on eBay lists 5.25" + adpater sets. So maybe speakers first and amp later.

6. I have just had a look and the amp that connects to the original head unit retails at 190 and the ground zero 6.5" coax 55 a pair.. obviously before HK discount ..

if I were you I would look at a simple speaker swap to start and depending on how you go with that look at possibly going towards an amp in the future.

although I do have a spare 32" subwoofer kicking around the shop somewhere
    received_910588885673711.

I would also stick with 6.5" rather than going smaller with an adapter ring..
    the ones I linked to earlier are designed with a shallower mounting depth to be easier fitted in standard locations.

legend-ary likes this.
  7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I agree.. going for speakers will be an good start. The ones you posted look great as I doubt £30 speakers will be any better than what is already in there. Guess what, the Civic project that I bought came with a spare headunit which I thought was crap but turns out it is Alpine CDE9880R which has decent reviews so rather than chucking it on Gumtree I will keep it for future use maybe.

Is it possible to know how much those speakers will cost? PM me if you want. I guess if I don't get adapter rings I will have to drill holes to the speakers? sorry too many questions but just want to set my targets.

Btw, found this setup on one of the Jazz listed on Gumtree... that is super stealth installation. . maybe supplied by dealer? $_86.JPG

8. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

leave it with me and I will send you a message tomorrow evening.., haven't got the trade prices at home and I'm ready for kip haha

no need to apologise for asking questions ,, we are all here to help each other out.

it's not the first time I have seen a head unit in the glove box.. however I am sure there is a facia adaptor that replaces the OEM radio but I think it leaves space for a double din rather than a single..
    will have a look into that aswell.

:Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    there should be no need to drill any holes,,, sorry , just seen that bit.

legend-ary likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Cheers buddy.. speak to you tomorrow..
    oh btw that subwoofer is massive! :Grin:

chris2982 likes this.
  10. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

we have actually built it into the roof of the shop haha not allowed to turn it up as vibrates the building and upsets the neighbours