General Upgrading to a 7th Generation, how does this one look?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Alan_rth, Wednesday 27th Jun, 2012.

1. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello AOC,

This is my first post here even though I've had a 1997 Accord for 4 years and have read the site a few times.

I loved my Accord but the clutch is gone so I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2004/5 CDTi version and have about £3500 to spend. I'm going to look at one tomorrow and just wondered if anyone had any input as to specific things I should look for or avoid. I know these cars can have problems wit the clutch and timing chain so is there any way I can check for that before buying the car?

Sorry I'm not the most mechanically minded person so don't really have the best idea of what to look for!

The one I'm seeing tomorrow is here: 2005 Honda Accord 2.2I CTDI EXECUTIVE 4DR FREE 2 YEAR WARRANTY

I think it all seems pretty good but is higher mileage that I would usually go for. Is this a mileage I should be worried about or will be ok for a diesel? (my first diesel as well) The main thing I'm worried about is the lack of a service history or at least it hasn't been mentioned in the add. Do you think this is enough to warrant not getting the car and looking for another one?

My experience of buying cars is pretty low as it's only something I have to do every 4-6 years so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Alan and welcome to AOC. You've chosen a good place to be and hopefully we can help you when choosing your next car.

As you've already said the Accord does have a number of common problems, these for ease and listed in the thread below:

(dead link removed by staff)

At that mileage and age you may just miss out on the extended warranty for the Exhaust manifold and timing chain (unless it's already had them done). The VSA module can go and won't be covered anymore now.

I would definitely ask about the service history and if you can see that 0W30 oil has been used. There may be some invoices for you to check on.

One question, do you need diesel or would petrol suit you. The diesels do better MPG but do have more problems. If you're doing smaller mileages a petrol may be better.

Hope this helps, there is loads more information on the forum so have a good look round.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015
  3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and welcome Alan to AOC. Pop over to the introduction section and say hello.
    As for the diesel, I would say do you need a diesel? I.e do you do the mileage.
    the 7th Generation diesel definitely has bigger problems than the petrol.
    The exhaust manifold, VSA module, timing chain are all known problems.
    The extended warranty on some of these issues is 7 years or 125000 miles, so that car is 5k away from the mileage limit and possibly over the age limit.
  4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well Paul beat me to it.:Smile:
  5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I didn't like to say.....:Whistle:
  6. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey guys,

Thank you for quick responses!

A Diesel would be preferable as I have an 85mile round trip at least 4 days a week. How common are the problems as the majority of customer reviews I've read haven't mentioned them! If there isn't much paperwork to go with the car is there anyway to check if they have had the work done already?

I was basically going to check this list: and obviously any paperwork they have but is there anything additional you'd advise for this model?

Sorry for all the questions, it's the most I've ever spent on a car so want to do everything possible to make sure i don't have to spend more money on it too soon.

Oh actually one more thing! Do you think the offered 2 year warranty with the car would cover the works or issues you've mentioned above as that would definitely make me happier!!

7. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmm bit confused as I just replied but it hasn't posted!?!

Thanks for your quick replies!

A diesel would be great as I have an 85mile round trip 4 times a week so the economy would be a great help.

How common are the problems? I've done a bit of research and read a lot of customer reviews and most don't mention them.

Is there anyway I can check if the repair work mentioned by Paul has been done already? Apart from the paperwork obviously!

I'm hoping that the 2 year warranty offered with the sale will be long enough to cover me if any problems do happen and to be honest if I get two years of trouble free motoring out of it I won't be too upset! Do you think this warranty would cover the work or will I get screwed!

I'll definitely double check the date is was registered though as if I have any time left on the extended warranty I'll take it straight to my local dealer!

Sorry for all the questions, I don't buy cars often so am a bit unsure plus this will be the most I've ever spent on a car so want to make sure I don't have to spend more too soon!

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Be wary of the warranty, some have every get out clause going. A common one is capping the value of any claim.
    The manifold problem is very common. The timing chain and VSA are certainly not unknown.
  9. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm heard that before, I'll make sure I read it VERY carefully!!

Thanks again for the advice, any idea of the mileage I should expect before these problems or can it be at anytime?
  10. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's a case of how long is a bit of string. Could be anything.
  11. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thought that would be the case! Thanks anyway. I'll take a look at it and see how it feels! If I can't find one then it may have to be the petrol version! If all goes well and I'm still a Honda owner then I'll have to write something in the intro section :Thumbup:

Thanks alot, ft anyone else has any other tips then let me know!

12. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry one more question, which of the common problems have Honda extended the warranties on? It would be good to know in case I'm lucky enough for the car I pick to be just under 7 years!

13. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

If i remember correctly exhaust manifold is 7 years or 120000 miles and VSA module is 5 years or 62000 miles whichever comes first.
    Somebody correct me if i am wrong.
    Last edited: Wednesday 27th Jun, 2012
  14. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks man, hopefully I'll be able to get one that's within 7years so will at least be ok for the exhaust manifold for a while. Anyone know if there's a extended warranty on the timing chain?
  15. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just realised the one I didn't think had posted worked after all! Sorry for double posting earlier!
  16. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

17. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hi Alan_rth :Smile:

Welcome aboard.. The chain I think no Im sure is 7 years 125k same as manifold

My car had 74k when the manifold was done, it has also had the VSA DONE TO. It has been serviced on the button by Honda and has not had the chain done. You could speak to Honda with the reg and stuff to see if the work has been done under warranty as they would know, your local dealer could also probably find out for you. I knew of the risks when I bought mine a few months ago but I still went for it.

All diesels are a little clatery but the Honda is quieter than most. If it has a top end rattle tapping then I would go home and look for another. If the manifold is going you will probably hear it but if you lify the lid and look at rear of the engine while running and can smell fumes thats a give away as is fumes / smell in the car with the fan on.

If you were a bit closer I would happily have popped along with you. The service history missing would if I am honest worry me a little, but if you don't look you won't know. I looked at loads before I bought mine.

I would think hard about a petrol though they are less bother and the engines are superb.. Cheaper than the diesels to.

Good luck mate
  18. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got to admit I am tempted to just go for it and hope for the best, especially if the 2 year warranty on it is decent. But then I don't want to spend 3.5K I don't have and it to cost me more in the next couple of years.

I think I'm going to walk away if they haven't got a service history as I want to be able to see what been going on with it and judging by what I've read there should be at least 1 or 2 major bits of work by 120Km especially the clutch!

I'm definitely going to try and contact a dealer to find out what its had once I have the VIN. I'm going to look at the petrols as well, the 2.4 is very tempting but not sure I can justify the MPG!

It seems from reading here that everyone has the same problems with their diesels so I'm less confident of buying one now! Before checking here I kind of assumed that as it's a Honda it would be pretty much bulletproof, how wrong I was!!

I'll keep you updated on my progress anyway! Thanks for all the help!

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Alan_rth, Have you considered an LPG converted Accord ? That way you get the reliability of the Honda engineered petrol engine and better economy than the deisel equivelant.

I have had two 7th Generation 2.4 litre LPG converted Accords for almost 5 years now. I must have covered over 130K miles in that time and neither of them missed a beat. I had a VSA light come on recently on the current Accord but this was cleared by plugging by doing a DTC reset in the HDS. Apart from that all I've had to is regular maintenance.
  20. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did think about a LPG but couldn't find any! I am pretty unfamiliar with LPG as well to be honest, the most experience I've had of it is when I was living in Oz when a large percentage of cars are converted. Thanks for the tip though, I'll consider it in the future!

SO I went to see the car I added a link to in my first post. It was an absolute joke! The car looked nice on the outside until I noticed the ridiculous amount of corrosion on the alloys and then they tell me that the immobiliser is broken so it won't start and I can't test drive it. Turned straight around and walked out! Would've been nice if they'd told me that when I called about it to save me a 2 hour train journey!

On the plus side I decided to visit another one which was about an hour away while I was in the area and it turned out to be a very nice car. Checked all the usual things and it was fine. Full service history, MOT 2 owners (one a company car and one a private) Serviced regularly and not just every year but making sure it never went 10,000 miles without a service (meaning 3 stamps in 2011). Drove really nice so I decided to go for it. £3350 for a 2005 CDTi Sport I'm pretty happy with it, just need to get used to driving it now!

Thanks alot for all of your help, fingers crossed I won't be asking for mechanical advice anytime soon! I'll go and add an intro to the relevant section now that I am an Accord owner again!