Pre-Purchase Upgrading to an 8 Gen

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by jcalvarez, Saturday 19th Sep, 2015.

1. jcalvarez Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Jose Dunfermline
    Hi all,

I have gotten 10 years of trouble free motoring from my trusted Accord (2.0 saloon, reg 55), however now that I'm doing around 18k a year the running cost it is starting to bite. Also need a little bit more practicality, hence looking at options like the Mazda 6, Avensis and Mercs estates. After quite a while I have come to the conclusion that I will buy another Accord, this time a tourer, diesel. Looking for a 1...2 year old one, up to 20k miles, Honda approved. Any advice on what to look for and how much should I pay?

Many thanks in advance!

Jose

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My favourite 8th Generation is the Type-S tourer. Has all the spec just about and also the nice body kit, plus a touch more power.

Basically I like the EX spec but the EX GT body kit, which the Type-S almost provides. Sometimes though you can find an EX model which has had the GT body kit factory fitted.

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm with @ArcticFire on this either Type-S or EX GT they don't look as good without the kit on the them. I'd like one with ADAS if I choose to get another but diesels with ADAS are rare!

4. jcalvarez Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Jose Dunfermline
    Thank you @ArcticFire and @Dave, I agree, the Type-S looks nice and is more powerful, unfortunately is out of my price range, unless I get something much older. My aim is to have at least a year of manufacturer warranty on the car, and the cheapest I found is over 20k :Messed:

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Accords do seem to hold their value. What's the max mileage you'd go with?

I'm also sure there's an ex tourer EX with a GT kit fitted on autotrader just now.

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm sure you'll find one much cheaper if you avoid 'Honda Approved'. Is it really so special?

7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I would try and get Honda Approved, in the last three years I've purchased two Accords, one from a garage and one from a Honda dealership. The garage car had a problem and they got a mechanic who didn't know what he was doing to "try" and fix the problem, result made the problem worse and had to return the car. Then got a car from a Honda dealership, had a problem, car went in and got fixed (new clutch) no problem.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Have a look at my CR-V garage to see how much was done under warranty lol

To be fair my local dealer was excellent at always taking the car in (only a few diagnostic hiccups) but they just have spent about £3k on it.

I wouldn't be so worried about petrol Hondas but with a diesel and the added complications of turbos it could be worth having a decent warranty?

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

IMO, Honda Approved is the way to go. If not, then certainly one from a Honda dealer that will give you a 1 year warranty.
    As for model, a Type-S is great, but so too is an EX. Whilst it may be nice to have the styling kit etc, you are just narrowing down the availability.

How far are you prepared to travel?
    If you get a Honda Approved Accord, then it doesn't matter where you by it from. Your local dealer can sort out ant problems.

I found these this morning for you. The first 3 appear to have TPMS, so are the latest spec. They are from 2012 onwards, but well worth considering. (The distances are from KY12 postcode)

Vehicle View - Honda Accord 2.2 i-DTEC EX Tourer - Blackburn
    Vehicle View - Honda Accord 2.2 i-DTEC Type-S Tourer - Newry
    Vehicle View - Honda Accord 2.2 i-DTEC EX Tourer - Ipswich
    Vehicle View - Honda Accord 2.2 i-DTEC Type-S Tourer - Shoreham-by-Sea
    Vehicle View - Honda Accord 2.2 i-DTEC EX Tourer - Durham

Ichiban likes this.
  10. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Another vote for a Type-S from me.

Was tempted a few weeks ago to buy one myself but I'm not ready to move on from my 7th Generation yet.

The Type-S does seem particularly expensive though.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

They are all holding their values pretty well at the moment. Probably due to the shortage of stock.

As much as I loved my 7th Generation, the 8th really is soooooo much better. If you can afford to change, 'just do it'. As for the engine, that really depends on the type of journeys you will be doing.

12. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Sorry Jose, feel like I'm hijacking this thread. Nels, what specifically do you like about the 8th Generation? In terms of engine, it would have to be the I-DTEC for me because of my annual mileage.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I-DTEC is great. With your annual miles, you shouldn't have any DPF issues, but don't skimp on the oil changes.

As for why the 8th is so much better than the 7th. There isn't one single, big reason. More like hundreds of smaller improvements that add up to a big difference overall. I have found mine to be more comfortable and the ICE system is a be a great improvement. Do remember though, I changes from a PFL 7th to a FL 8th.

The best thing to do, is go for a test drive, but before you do, have a read through of the brochure. You can then compare it to yours. There are still some in the dealerships, or there is a copy here. You can still order the accessories too.

dbrooks65 likes this.
  14. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I'll be at the dealership very soon for a service so I'll have a wee nosy on the forecourt for an I-DTEC and maybe take it for a test drive. Cheers Nels.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

My pleasure. Let us know how you get on.

16. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I replaced my 2003 2.0l Sport, with a 2008 EXGT 2.0l and it's sooooooo much better. The body kit looks great and while I agree that the ICE system is good, it's not as good as the touch screen version, especially the Bluetooth.

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I did prefer the touchscreen on my CN1, but the positioning on the 8th gens is safer. Swings and roundabouts.
    Alas, no Bluetooth on the old one -It wasn't available until the FL.
    Onward and upward.

18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I don't like touchscreens at all - I much preferred the small 'wheel' arrangement on my 8th Generation Accord to the screen I now have in my CR-V.

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I had the touchscreen for 10 years, so controlling it became subconscious.
    It's just a matter of getting used to the new controls. However, the grey matter doesn't function as well as it used to.

20. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The problem is, from my point of view, the rubbish Bluetooth system in the standard ES GT (oops put EXGT in my earlier post, I did, of course, mean ES GT), you have to voice programme numbers into it, rather than it downloading from your phone.