Suspension, Steering and Brakes Upper ball joint replacement

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dave400, Thursday 3rd Oct, 2013.

1. Dave400 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Are there any guides out there for replacing the upper ball joint on a diesel saloon..

Any special tools needed or is it fairly straightforward?

Thanks in advance

2. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    You can't replace just the ball joint if your upper arm is still the original one. You will need to get the whole upper arm with ball joint. £150 at Honda, but I got mine from ebay for around £50 for a pair.

Makes it that more simple as you won't need to push the ball joint in.

I've take the wheel off, got the nut off the ball joint, punched it out with a hammer (reasonable size but not too big), undo the screws holding the spring under the bonnet, 2 more nuts holding the wishbone, and get it out :Smile: There was a guide somewhere here.

3. 098Joe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've just done mine and there was a video (I think it was type accord site) Anyway in the video the bloke got the wishbone pivot bolts out without moving the spring, god knows how he did it. I ended up unbolting the spring at the top (the two strut brace nuts need to come off also) after fully jacking up under bottom arm to compress spring then holding it compressed with mini ratchet straps. That made the job a lot easier. Relocating spring correctly in cup was a bit tricky but all good in the end. When you put the pivot bolts and ball joint nut on make sure you leave them loose then take up weight of the car with a jack under bottom arm before final tightening. Torque is about 32 foot pounds on ball joint nut. Not sure about pivot bolts because my torque wrench would not fit so just did them FT and no probs so far. Good luck should only take a morning if you move spring out the way and ball joint separates without a fight.

4. Dave400 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Was fairly straight forward in the end, did it in an hour and a half or so..

5. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi guys, just to check before I buy parts, I need to change my offside upper ball joint, can I just buy the ball joint, or do I need the arms aswell as stated above?

6. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Have you replaced the upper wishbone before or is it still original one?

7. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I don't know, I've not changed it but my car has covered 150k if that is a factor?
    - - - Updated - - -
    How could I tell if they are original or not?

8. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

The original wishbones can't have just the ball join replaced, as they're one part.

What I had to do was to get a aftermarket upper wishbone with a ball joint, but from then because the ball join it a detachable part, I can just replace that if it ever fails again, rather than the whole assembly.

I think if you manage to get a look at the top of the wishbone where the ball join normally would be pushed it, you can tell if it's all sealed up or if it's separate part.

9. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

OK thanks for that

10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I replaced both on my Accord last year I think it was, bought them OEM, cost around 140 a side, just to give an idea. Replacing them is pretty easy

11. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My cars developed a slightly metallic knocking/rattling over bumpy ground. I've had it jacked up and can't see any obvious movement in any joints, what noise did this make when it went? My cars on 105k.

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Front or rear?

13. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Front. Having had a good read on other threads though I think it may be the compliance bush. Here's a picture of the compliance bush which is showing signs of cracking and seemed to move fairly easy with a pry bar. The top ball joint had no movement in it at all. IMG_5945.JPG IMG_5947.JPG
    - - - Updated - - -
    They were taken with the car jacked up.

14. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just an update been into the local Honda dealership (Harratts at Wakefield - EXCELLENT). They had it up on the ramp, diagnosed the problem as an ARB droplink and i've now ordered the part from them to fit myself tomorrow.

Nels likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good stuff, easy one for you Paul :Smile: