Suspension, Steering and Brakes Uprating brakes

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Raf_75, Wednesday 24th Jun, 2015.

1. Raf_75 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Raf York
    Since buying my 03 sport I haven't been that impressed with the brakes, think coming from an octy vrs with 312mm front discs might have something to do with it. Is there bolt on discs and calipers from a different model available for an easy upgrade?

I'm not interested in drilled/grooved discs and uprated pads.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Raf, if you could take your calliper carrier off your CR-V and measure the distance between the hole mounting. I could compare that off a ATR dual piston set up and confirm weather it will fit the CR-V knuckle.

Whilst you are at it if you could measure the width of your CR-V front discs we can see if you can get the ATR discs on your car.

3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Just a thought. If the brake pedal feels a bit spongy and brakes generally poor your model year CR-V suffers commonly with the front pads seizing in the carriers. Before you start going mad and updating the brakes to those off a racing car. Strip the brakes down and give everything a good file down and re-grease. Depending on your brakes cond it may well be time to replace the pads and discs anyway.

Zebster likes this.
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    +1

I'd argue that it's unnecessary to upgrade brakes, unless you ARE going to use it as as some sort of race car, or maybe a tow car, or maybe travel across mountain ranges... and I say this as someone who did used to prepare a lot of track vehicles (many years ago!).

If your brakes already work well enough to make the ABS kick in (which they really should), then you can't make them work better than that. But yes, you can improve the feel.

Torquemadder likes this.
  5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Change the brake fund also. Simple easy and a lot Cheever than updated brakes

6. Raf_75 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Raf York
    The discs and pads are clearly tired hence the thought of replacing the whole lot instead of shelling out twice if there's not much difference. The feel of the brakes and that I have to press harder than I did in the vrs is the thinking for uprated stuff. I've read reviews that say the brakes weren't up to standard when the car was new

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I don't know what some people expect lol with standard brakes in tip top condition they will be plenty powerful enough.

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd suggest replacing the discs and pads with either genuine or a decent aftermarket manufacturer (Ferodo/Brembo), re-greasing the sliders and bleeding the whole system through.

I'm yet to drive a Honda with proper discs/pads on stock calipers that I wasn't more than happy with.

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You cannot argue with physics two pistons are better than one, so upgrading callipers will make a massive difference.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

For sure, I just wouldn't underestimate the difference a pad/disc change would make alone. I'm just thinking the condition of my ATR brakes before versus now rofl.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am more than happy with OEM set up my brakes last longer than any of you guys. You guys change brake set in 18 k miles I change them 65K or even more. If you guys concentrated more in maintaining the speed you will not use at lot of brakes.

Pussies...bahh braking just carry the speed.

Torquemadder likes this.
  12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Sorry your highness :king: :Laughing:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Slow coach braking are for :GiveRose:

14. ourmark Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark Otley
    I think the easiest upgrade would be to take the 304mm brake setup from a later CR-V (2005/6). I'm assuming that the hubs stayed the same, but perhaps someone else can confirm.

Earlier cars have 282mm which I am personally happy with, but it must have been upgraded for a reason.

15. djberney Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know an Italian mechanic. He said he couldn't fix the brakes but he fitted a louder horn!

Torquemadder likes this.