Tyres & Wheels Upsizing alloy wheels

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Perosteck, Wednesday 15th Jul, 2015.

1. Perosteck Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jared Gainsborough
    Good evening

Sorry but I am very new to adding anything to a car, when i was younger I had a few nice little pocket rockets but never needed to change anything, sorry babbling.......

Now I am in a midlife crisis I wanted to know if there is anything special i need to do if i want to upsize my alloys, i can stick with the 16's I have but a refurb seems to cost as much as getting a new set so have found some 17's and 18's that look decent.

Lastly, slightly differing question - black or silver alloys? - my FR-V being black

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    other than making sure you get the tyre size right there's nothing I can think of that you need to look out for.

Perosteck likes this.
  3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    If buying second hand I would first check that the bolt pattern is the same as the FR-V, so that they fit (sorry if teaching to suck eggs), make sure you have the right wheel nuts for the wheels as there are flat and beveled dependent on type of wheel.
    I think you are safe up to 20" with no issues with the wheel rubbing etc, but with that you would need to check that the wheel offset is right for you car too.
    If you are buying new, none of the above should matted as the supplier should cover all these issues for you and supply the wheels fit for you car.

As for colour, totally your choice mate. Although I am swaying to the graphite grey look now :Niceone:

Perosteck likes this.
  4. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just another little bit of info I was told (thanks Nigel ,honda Bristol) Make sure the spigot size is correct, as Honda wheels are designed to be a snug fit on the hub, any play and it can lead to wheel wobble. Some wheels come with plastic spigot rings, which can distort or wear. I think you can get alloy ones now though.
    These FR-V's are pretty cool motors!

Bones126 and SpeedyGee like this.
  5. Perosteck Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am looking at all second hand honda alloys at moment, being 5 stud should it be a standard fit being honda or do I still need to be careful and check

6. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I'm lead to believe they can be different too, so I would check on here first.

7. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Perosteck likes this.
  8. Perosteck Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok so it seems PCD 114.3 , Bore 64.1, offset 50, most Civic alloys are same except the offset which is 55 - is that a problem or can that be sorted with something?

Am looking at these sets on ebay

9. Perosteck Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

:help: Ok sorry about this, brain starting to overload, which at my age is a lot quicker.

my offset is showing at 50, sites seem to suggest there is a range that I can look at around 50 but can't seem to find the high and low variants - any ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks

10. Perosteck Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

LOL I am going totally mad, just looking at FR-V accessories and it seems mine has the 17" upgraded opus alloys already, so back to looking at refurbs maybe or going to 18" :Blushing: