Off-Topic US Presidential Election 2016

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by FirstHonda, Monday 30th Nov, 2015.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

As we have quite a few US based members on HondaKarma, I thought it would be interesting to get some perspectives on the upcoming Presidential election - who is likely to win the nomination for each party, what is really going on, and what the real voters actually think.

I'm a self-confessed addict when it comes to elections, and let's be honest from a global perspective the choice of the next US President is a hell of a lot more important than the UK Prime Minister!

Anyway, I just thought this would be interesting to get a US perspective and educate the rest of us in what is important over there.

Personally I'm fascinated that Trump continues to poll so strongly, as from a UK standpoint he would have fallen from the race months ago after some of his comments. Hillary seems to have the Democratic nomination sewn up, but I've never been convinced by her.

So what is the real story? Over here we only seem to hear about Clinton and Trump, but what about Rubio, Jeb Bush and some of the others?

Zebster likes this.
  2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    image.

3. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That is so funny Nice one

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Even by the standards I've come to expect from US Republican candidates, Trump is scary as fcuk. I can easily imagine him unleashing a nuclear attack upon another country merely because they annoyed him and he simply lost his temper.

I also hope to see some input to this thread from US voters. It will be interesting to see if they can say anything positive about the Republican candidates.

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Trump makes Nigel Farage seem like a moderate, rational choice! I'd be really interested to hear a view from a US member on why he seems to be so popular...assuming he really is.

6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    not much choice really

LaunchCodes%2Bsm.

abombtrump.

7. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Trumpety Trump is quite a good dancer ....

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    US politics is like a freak show it's embarrassing to see these so called presidential candidates and how retarded they are. What does that mean for the people voting them into office and US on the whole?

It would be interesting if these guys had any brains.. hee haw.

steve4536 and jimjams like this.
  9. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

When an American Politician manages to drag his country out of the Wild West mentality regarding gun ownership , then maybe, just maybe I might take an interest in their politics.
    "Yeeeee haaaaaa! here piggy"!

Ichiban likes this.
  10. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I haven't been keeping up with the media coverage of the race, but I have always said, and will continue to say that what our countries need is fewer politicians.

IMO, at the beginning Trump was perfect, finally a businessman being put in charge, to me that is perfect. His entire life has been based upon making money, so if anyone is qualified to really make cut throat decisions to sort out a countries financial status, surely Trump is ideal.
    He also won't take any crap, he doesn't have time for crap, unlike the UK politicians, and even less like the Northern Irish politicians whose entire life is based upon receiving an income for causing nothing but crap.

Career politicians are a problem everywhere, more business acumen needs to be introduced to our governments.

As for gun laws. Personally, having carried a PPW in the past, I would like to be able to carry concealed again. In saying that, I have no issue with our current laws (apart from handgun laws, I like handguns and pistols, but I don't think I should have to have 2 years of club signatures and a sponsor to get one)

BB Baboonface likes this.
  11. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

12. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

13. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I agree, though ownership of full-bore should require continued attendance at a club (the nutter at Dunblane hadn't attended a club for several years). We could maybe continue this discussion in this thread
    - - - Updated - - -
    ITV news on Youtube ..."Wild applause as Donald Trump vows to ban Muslims entering US"

BBC website ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35035190

Donald Trump: "21 things the Republican believe" ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34903577 strangely, 3 of them are probably true (IMO) ...#13 #15 #18

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Zebster likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What this idiot said last night is nothing short of what the The Ku Klux Klan (KKK) would say and do .its disgusting and quite frankly he should be stripped of his nomination.

Zebster, Kash and FirstHonda like this.
  16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Totally agree @Ichiban

He has finally started to lose ground, which is encouraging.

17. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

I actually disagree.

I think a lot of people are jumping on the "must take offense" bandwagon.

It is no secret that the current single largest threat is from the likes of ISIS (from a western perspective), sadly, due to the huge influx of refugees worldwide from Syria and surrounding areas, and the fact that ISIS members can easily fly below the radar, I believe what he is saying is to control movement until they can get a proper handle on the situation. I think his wording was perhaps a little ill-thought through, but he isn't exactly renowned for political correctness and diplomacy.

I don't for one second believe he was intentionally racist or following in the footsteps of the Nazi's, but instead taking a firm stance on instantly eliminating further risk (from travelling terrorists, not homegrown) and in turn hopefully giving a little extra time for the intelligence agencies to get their sh*t together before once again opening up the doors to everyone again.

Sadly, the way in which ISIS markets and brands itself means that sometimes everyone must be tarred with the same brush until a sound method of weeding out its members is found.

Had it been White British, Chinese, Jewish, Black Russian or anything else for that matter i think his stance would have been the same, unfortunately as much as we are all certain extremists are very very few and far between, only one organisation in this recent "war" doesn't have a rule book to play with, you can't beat a lawless and rule free organisation using laws and fighting within a set of laws, the last century in Northern Ireland alone should be proof of that.

I also believe what he said goes back to his business roots. remove the bullsh*t and sugar coating. He is tackling what the US citizens and the rest of the world see as a current issue and he is doing so by grabbing it by the balls, and although I don't agree with his method myself, I have to commend him for actually taking the risk in saying publicly what a lot of the population of the US will be thinking. Be it right or wrong, it was going to stir up a hornets nest. Still, IMO, he isn't hiding behind a facade of diplomatic words and meaningless sentences skirting round the issue, straight to the point, instant short term solution.

18. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Behind those diplomatic words and meaningless sentences there are an awful lot of people doing a great deal of work to deal with the current situation , quietly and carefully .
    What has Trumps statements achieved ? Highlighted an already highlighted issue , perhaps , or pushing the rhetoric to the limits to see how far he can go. And then allowing other opinions to follow behind which are not so offensive but which would then seem moderate by comparison ( those opinions being previously unacceptable ).
    For me , the creating of suspicion and fear of a group of the ' Human Nation ' , namely 'Muslims ' , feeds the cause and this should be avoided. One should always chose words and actions carefully being wary that they have consequences.

Note the contrast with George W Bush below
    The Rhetoric of 9/11: President George W. Bush -- Address to Joint Session of Congress and the American People (9-20-01)
    George W bush
    September 20, 2001
    " I also want to speak tonight directly to Muslims throughout the world. We respect your faith. It's practiced freely by many millions of Americans, and by millions more in countries that America counts as friends. Its teachings are good and peaceful, and those who commit evil in the name of Allah blaspheme the name of Allah. The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself. The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends; it is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists, and every government that supports them."

BB Baboonface and PeteMM like this.
  19. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    12348158_1238793056138037_1373269410448083577_n. 12348158_1238793056138037_1373269410448083577_n.

20. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Good old Boris

Trump: Police Fear For Lives In Radical London

London Mayor Boris Johnson said: "Donald Trump's ill-informed comments are complete and utter nonsense.
    "As a city where more than 300 languages are spoken, London has a proud history of tolerance and diversity and to suggest there are areas where police officers cannot go because of radicalisation is simply ridiculous."
    He added: " ... the only reason I wouldn’t go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump."