Off-Topic USB DAC amplifiers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chunkylover53, Wednesday 7th Jan, 2015.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Anybody know much on this topic?

I tried my mates FiiO E7 amp with my headphones and noticed quite a difference so I'm probably going to go ahead and get one too.

Ideally I would like a 2in1 model like the E07k, E17 and E18 so I can use it with my laptop connected to speakers and with my phone when I go out.

If anybody has any experience with these or similar amps I would appreciate your insight.

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I went for the E07K, connected it via USB to my PC and started playing FLAC music through it to my headphones. I was somewhat impressed but I'm not sure whether I'm £70 happier.

Now I have two options - return the Fiio or buy better headphones like Beyer DT770 (though I hate the way it looks) - what would you guys recommend?

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Honestly, forget the DT770 from what I remember they're quite bass biased, In that price bracket the Audio Technica M50s are (in my opinion) by far the best cans all-round. I have a pair of the Limited Editions graphites and absolutely adore them. That said, I love Sennheiser for uncoloured and natural sound - consider the HD558s too.

As for the DAC itself, I've heard okay things about FiiO. Cambridge Audio DacMagic tend to be quite popular, but the one I hear the most good things about at a similar price is the Schiit Modi - I intend to buy one myself at some point.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The bass bias was what I liked, coming from a pair of beats I didn't want bass to be lacking. I've also heard good things of the M50s (if Nas uses them then who am I to argue!) but I'll have to wait for sales to start before going for them. Either way I'll make my money back if I sell the beats.

I was very close to ordering the DacMagic but I figured that the external bass/treble settings and the fact that it would work with my M8 via USB OTG swung me towards the Fiio unit.

As for the Schiit Modi - I will need to look into it.

Thanks bud

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I think a fair from Poundland would do better :Whistle: The M50s have plenty of bass to them mate it's just not overpowering and doesn't colour the range, you're welcome to try my pair at some point.

It's very highly related, definitely give it a read up mate.

Personally, I just run my cans through my Asus Xonar PCI-E card at the moment.

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Asked for a little advice at the audiophile forum and I was very surprised by some of the replies.

Those who have actually heard beats have said they're decent but just overpriced. The praise for the Schiit DAC is numerous though so I might just get the Schiit's and see how it goes. I'll still get the M50s just to see if they are correct but I'll definitely wait for offer pricing.

They also recommended V-Moda and set from NAD (though they cost £200).

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

All I ever hear about Beats in the audiophile world is the horrid colouring to the sound, I've only once listened to a pair and I wasn't impressed but they weren't terrible either - I just like poking fun at them, hey, at least it isn't Bose!

Aye the Schiit gets a lot of good press in general, never heard of the V-Moda or NAD mind!

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I trialled M50s for a week. Unfortunately I returned them as I didn't like it - compared to what I'm used to, the bass was non existent and if anything made me appreciate the beats more. So for now I'm staying put.
    - - - Updated - - -
    As for the Schiit Modi, I'm still looking for one at a good price. Amazon US have it for 90 dollars but they refuse to ship to the UK which is a real pain. Otherwise the best I found in the UK was £100 delivered (used).

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well fair play to that mate, I have a very neutral taste when it comes to sound and don't really appreciate any bass bias. The M50s are about as coloured as I'll go, I tend to like Sennheiser for reference style audio, they're even less bass-y.