ICE & HFT USB stick and honda stereo?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Nelf, Tuesday 7th Oct, 2014.

1. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    Hi guys,

I currently have an iPhone 4S and in my car I use it both for Bluetooth calls as well as a music jukebox. I'm about to get a new phone contract and I've seen the iphone 5c is a good buy, although only with 8gb. So if I get one it won't be suitable as a music device for the accord. In principle that's not a problem as long as I can play music by other means.

So how do USB sticks compare? I can get a 64gb one for a few quid. But; Do you still get the song names and albums on the screen or not? Do you have to drag/drop through windows explorer? Do you have to use a specific folder structure?

Car is a 2008/9 accord ES GT with nav

Many thanks

Neil

2. Roland Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Regarding USB stick you just drag & drop audio files, and yes, it shows song names (at least on the navigation screen). Only USB has to be formated to FAT32 (or NTFS do not remember know, but one of the formats is not supported, but thats not a problem anyway).

3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Neil,

I use USB 64GB and I'm struggling to fill it to be honest!

One thing to note is the voice activation (apart from "play Aux") does not work. You cannot select a particular track like you can with a CD (e.g "Play CD3, Track 4")

Another thing to note if you rip music with Windows Media Player be sure to select MP3 format as WMA format does not play ("Unplayable File" will appear on your LCD screen for WMA files), even though it does have the "WMA" logo on the front of the CD changer unit. :Unknown:

4. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Voice activation fir the cd player? I never new this!! How? :Smile:

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you've got the advanced nav pack (nav is an option on ES GT and I think only advanced nav pack was available - if you've got reversing camera you've got advanced nav pack), look just under the telephone buttons on the steering wheel and you'll find two smaller switches. you lift the lower one up towards you and hold it and speak a command then release the button for it to activate. (e.g. "audio on", "rear defrost on/off", "climate control automatic", "What time is it?", "Climate control floor and defrost"...) There is a list in the nav handbook but the sat nav also has them programmed in and it will read the list of commands out to you if you have problems.

It is semi-intelligent as in it can decipher what you mean if you do not say the command as exactly as the system wants it to be said.

It also learns how you speak. mine understands me better the more I use it - not easy for it either! :lol:

You need to have pressed "Enter" on sat nav when you first start up to accept the warning message and thus enable sat nav otherwise voice commands won't work.

Nelf likes this.
  6. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

Got the USB to work nicely, thanks!

I like how it shows each folder, but is there an easy way to "shuffle all songs" if I was to get bored of playing a single artist/album?

Apart from just placing all songs in one folder when I collate the music on the drive.

7. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes there is a way to play randomly all tracks on the stick, that's how I play my USB stick.

With SatNav, turn audio on, press AUX button with USB stick connected, press AUDIO button, toggle down(as shown on the screen) and select RANDOM TRACK or whatever it's called and it's job done. You can then use the UP and DOWN buttons (next to volume up and down buttons) on the steering wheel to select next random track or start the track again.
    It will permanently play randomly until deselected or of course battery disconnection.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tried your tip and it works :Drinks:

9. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You can select random folder instead of random track if you prefer in the AUDIO settings screen but then I assume that you have to play (or select next track) every track in that folder before you progress to the next random folder.

Additionally, make sure that each track is labeled exactly how you wish the voice system to announce it (this only happens with the AUDIO screen displayed).

If you are having a problem with the order of the tracks, a program called Fat Sorter (free to download) will arrange all tracks in each folder alphabetically and possibly each folder alphabetically too. Fat Sorter is easily found by googling, it's very small and the version I used is 1.0.4.0. for Windows.

John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks fella will do this and let you know, learnt something new :professor:

11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks ampers. I've wondered how to play random folder/track for some time but never found out how.

I also have the problem of the order of folders not being as expected on the USB. It is partially alphabetic, for the majority really, but probably around 25% is all over the shop.

I'll follow your advice and let you know.

12. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Some good tips here, thanks!

One more question slightly related - If I want to charge my iPhone as well as listen to music on my USB stick could I get a 2 into 1 USB splitter and use the AUX button to scroll between the 2 devices?

The idea being I can leave the USB in the car as my main music thing and then if my phone battery gets low I can simply plug this into the other socket off the 2 into 2 splitter? Meaning that if my phones dying I don't have to unplug the stick and listen to music on the phone.

Thanks in advance.

13. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nelf,
    I don't know about using a splitter on cubby hole usb but I doubt that you could change the source between usb (stick) and iphone using the AUX button or the up/down button on the steering wheel whilst using the splitter, assuming it works anyway.
    Can you not use the cigarette lighter socket on the centre consol for charging your iphone? If you could, then apart from having your iphone flailing about, problem solved.
    I use my mobile purely as a phone so don't charge mine in the car, just keep the usb stick permanently connected.

14. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ampers,

I could, but I hate trailing wires... I'm a fussy bugger! :Smile: