Accord Used tyres from a scrappy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harvey, Saturday 29th Nov, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not that long ago I managed to find a brand new tyre on a Honda rim in the boot of an Accord in the scrappy, it had never been fitted or used on the road, but never the less was new which cost £15 inc the alloy. A little while later I found on ebay a part worn tyre that was 7mm tread, but on a Vauxhall rim, this cost £25.

I had these tyres fitted to my alloys and was told by the fitter than both tyres where really old, the one from the scrappy was 15 years old and the one on the Astra wheel was 11 years old, both have great treat and visually are not perished, so they will see me through winter.

in the time of tight budgets and not everyone can afford new tyres, what are peoples thoughts and oppinions when it comes to used tyres, from the likes of scrappies and used tyre places, that are legal and have more importantly good tread on them?

Also, does the 6th Generation Accord have a penchant for wearing out the inner edges of the front tyres, as this was the main reason I swapped tyres.

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When I got my car all tyres were budgets and through my naivety I took it that it wouldn't get any better. Needless to say I was wrong when I got new Dunlops at £65 each. Obviously this is a lot more expensive than what you paid but I think its worth it because at the end of the day the tyres are a determining factor in handling and braking distance (obviously there are other factors but the two stated matter the most). For that reason I think its worth getting new tyres over pre-worn.

As for your tyres, I wouldn't use them. Rubber compounds change significantly with age. I remember reading an article that related a tyres age with old rubber bands. After a while rubber bands lose their elasticity and cracks form, the same goes for tyres. Some cracks will be noticeable on the outside but the lethal ones are the unseen cracks. Considering that most tyres are rated for around 5 years (obviously changes from compound to compound), I definitely wouldn't use any tyres over 10 years.

That all said, I'll be interested to see the others replies.

exec likes this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    CL is right here - rubber detoriates over time and breaks down. The pressure your car puts on your tyres is incredible when you think about what they actually do and something that we just take for granted. Personally, I don't like used tyres - you have no idea how they were treated by their old owners, how many kerbs they have bounced up, rubbed against or how many potholes they have been slammed through.

Appreciate tyres are expensive, but they are the most important thing on your car. They arent expensive when you consider what they actually do. I have rattled on about my thoughts on tyres on a few threads so I will now just keep quiet.... :Laughing:

4. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Not sure on this, but aren't tyre ages part of the MOT test now? I know I have had advisories on motorhomes for this, and had to change all four even though the tread was excellent. The advisories are recorded on the web, so if you had an accident due to a blowout (possibly involving third parties) you would be in deep doodoo. The recommended maximum age for caravan and motorhome tyres is 5 years, and you should NEVER use a tyre over 7 years old. The date of manufacture is stamped on the sidewall.
    If there is absolutely no cracking on the sidewalls then it is open for debate, but if they start to crack or craze, change them!
    On the other hand, a large percentage of us have "spacesaver" spares lurking in the boot - would any of us buy new ones after 7 years? I certainly haven't!

5. Nighthawk Guest

Difference with space savers is that they are designed to be used as an emergency over a short limited distance at 50mph max purely to get you out of a spot and on the road again until you can get to the nearest garage - they are not designed to be used for months and years on end.

6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Two things you shouldn't scrimp on, brakes and tyres.

I looked at several options the last time I needed tyres, in the end I went for Bridgestone RE050's and I think I made the right choice for the car.

I don't have any inside wear on my 6g.

John Dickson and Nighthawk like this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

I couldn't agree more....

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is a very emotive topic for me and as I outlined in this thread here, I have next to no sympathy for those that scrimp on tyres.

If people have tight budgets, they should be saving diligently for tyres rather than get something on the cheap that will need replacing a few weeks/months later. If someone cannot do that, then they should give up the car instead of having a potential death trap on the roads.

Why don't people understand that tyres are the ONLY thing that connect your car to the road? Yes, we'll spend money on a sound system, fat exhaust and tinting, but when it comes to tyres, oh no, don't wanna spend £500-900 on decent rubber, I'll go with the part worn or cheapo brand X....

Whether people like it or not, I think less of people that go out buy cheap tyres because they can't be arsed to get something decent. It is these same people that end up having crashes, blame everyone but themselves and are a road hazard. If I had my way I would introduce mandatory new tyres every 12 months with each MOT and ban the sale of used ones altogether.

Anyone who buys cheap rubber should not be on the road. You're a safety scourge and a disaster waiting to happen - I stick two fingers up at you.

9. Nighthawk Guest

This is also an emotive topic for me as well @TheDarkKnight for numerous reasons which I wish I could go into.

There are also companies which allow buy now, pay later schemes, such as Black Circles to help people afford to get some decent tyres.

Hope you don't mind @Harvey but I took a quick look for tyres for your car online - If, for example, you have the 15" rims, you can get a complete set of 4 goodyears efficient grip for £255, or buy now, pay later for 6 months or £23 a month. £23 quid a month for having decent tyres.......

Or - the price of a few pints on a weekend, 2 large pizzas with your other half, or a night out at the movies. People spend that amount of money on pointless stuff without even thinking about it.... for me, tyres are critical.

Cheap tyres are not worth the risk, they really arent.

10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is correct FR_V. a mate of mine needed a cheap car quickly so he got a mint Nissan Micra 17 years old 21,000miles on it. It was a little gem had only been used to go tot he shops and back by an old lady.

It needed an MOT soon after that but as the tyres still had massive amounts of tread on them he didn't think about needing new tyres.

It failed on the tyres because they were the original ones it left the factory on in 1994 for the reasons others have already discussed in this thread.

UV light, temperature, weight of the vehicle, chemicals on the road (usually diesel spills) all haver an affect on tyre life.

If a car has sat in one position for a long time then the tyres should be chucked before using it again as this damages tyres as well.

11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's a bit ridiculous to be fair. I'd be changing tyres on my Capri after every 300-400 miles.

Imagine the environmental effect as well!

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I wish there was comprehensive tests with publicly accessible results available for all tyres, similar to the ncap videos. I think there is some form of testing done where you get that A, B, C results thing but I prefer to see much more visual stuff available.

13. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

every tyre purchase must have its efficiency and effectiveness test results available to the customer. It's the law.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's what I mentioned, but I want to see the videos and real life testing.

16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Now don't get me wrong ladies and gents, I know it seems like a waste of money buying used tyres in a scrappy, but sometimes you really do find cars with new or nearly new tyres on them that are in date. I just was not dilgent enough on this occasion, and they are only a temporary solution as I did not have the funds available to buy brand new tyres, I know the risks involved as mentioned before, but the way I see it at the moment, some tread is better than bald tyres, I know which I would prefere, and its all well and good saying give up the car, which I need to get to work in order to pay for the tyres it needs. I am already saving for new tyres, although I won't be using black circles. I will be using Camskill instead, as they have the Dunlop SP sport Blue response in that I want.
    I do wholeheartedly agree that tyres are one of the most important things that keep a car on the road along with brakes hence why I rebuit the rears on my car and the fronts are due new discs and pads shortly.

I also understand it may upset some people with what I do or have done, but its not easy out there, not everyone has a brilliantly paying job and on times things have to be done on a budget and to be honest, I hate buying things on tick.
    and whoever said the going for pizzas and cinema with the other half. Mines 4k miles away and I barely go out as it is, mostly work and sleep.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Don't forget about buying a set of winter tyres because I'm sure everyone here does that also :Wink:

Harvey likes this.
  18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No winter tyres for me just yet. But they will be on list.
    In the near future after I have sorted out some new tyres. I will be getting another set of alloys and put winter tyres on those, ready for next year.

But your right @ArcticFire, how many people have summer tyres in use over winter.

19. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    At this rate we will have to change tyres if it rains!

Harvey likes this.
  20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Also at this rate we will be like the German's, if they have to replace 1 tyre, they must replace all of them. That is why at one point there where lots of tyres coming here being sold as used but graded properly etc from Germany.

But still better having tyres with tread, than tyres without.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.