Engine & Gearbox Valve clearance 2.0 i-Vtec 2011

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by i-DSI, Saturday 6th Sep, 2014.

1. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi guys,

Checked valve clearance yesterday (SvRS indicated '9' and I follow this to the letter, no more, no less maintenance).
    Car has used from the beginning onwards always and with no exception at all Honda original 0W20 oil (100.000 km/62.500 miles).
    I want to share this with you because there are still people 'out there' who doubt on using 0W20 oil:

- absolutely no sign of any contamination around the valve train (black sludge or any other form of contamination) or in the inside of the valve cover. All looks shiny new.
    - all 16 valves still had the perfect factory clearance !! Not even one needed any adjustment. I have known other days when driving French cars.
    - every single part had a perfect film of oil on it (when feeling on the lobes especially this is very important).

I love this oil in combination with such a quality engine!
    Usage of the engine:
    At the moment of taking pictures (100k km) the oil was in it 10.000 km. Engine has had it hours of traffic jam driving, but majority is highway miles. Most of the time in low revs, but sees almost every time I drive her approx. 5k RPM.

DSC_0004_zpse7246394.
    DSC_0003_zpsac5a68c0.
    DSC_0005_zps277f9604.

fear, DeviateDefiant, Ichiban and 2 others like this.
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I am one of those doubters and still not convinced but will try it when I use all Fuchs 5w 40 I have left.
    Very nice and clean btw.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well done bud I don’t doubt 0w-20 the oil is superb and will not revert back to 5w-40 , doubters will be doubter will not change with the time.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just for info the internals of the top rocker cover looks black .. it not sludge the R20 engines have a palstic rocker cover in black.

4. fear Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chu china
    my car is Honda 2011 accord 2.0EX, made in china. and engine is R20A3 too

can i use mobil 1 ep 5w20?

btw I-DSI, you said " Engine has had it hours of traffic jam driving", is it hours totally? or every day 1 hour traffic jam driving?

5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Fear,

The viscosity 5W20 is fine. But I had a look at mobil's website and can't find if this oil meets the minimum requirements (ACEA):
    Always use genuine Honda Motor Oil, ACEA A3/B3 or ACEA A5/B5
    If you are sure this oil meets these requirements, the answer is 'YES'.
    What does you manual says? Does is mention the ACEA requirements or different requirements for Chinese models?

Traffic jam hours: just want to say my car's engine does not have an easy life. No daily traffic jams, but definitely from time to time serious traffic jams.

Last edited: Sunday 4th Jan, 2015
    Ichiban likes this.
  6. fear Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chu china
    hi I-DSI:

i checked my owners manual, it does not mention any ACEA or A5/B5 GF-5 etc, just say :
    1. use API SL or higher
    2. from 0w-30 to 15w-40 (yes the lowest 30 is 9.3 cst, and mobil ep is 8.9 cst, and i know the R20A3 's HTHS requirements)

I checked honda usa website, the Acura 2013 ILX 2.0L use R20A5, and recommend 0w-20, I think R20A3 is similar as R20A5.

and for china R20A3 engine. for example accord 2012 2.0L, using original 0w-20 at honda service site too.

7. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Fear,
    Based on this information, the Mobile 5W20 is NOT allowed in your engine. Minimum you need is 0W30 or higher. And you need to check for API SL.
    There might be different tollerances used in the bearings based on the local markets availability of oil grades and quality.
    Oil is to important to take a gamble.

Nighthawk and Ichiban like this.
  8. fear Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chu china
    hmm, is your owner manual marked "0w-20" allowed?

so ... I am plan to 50:50 mix mobil 1 ep 5w20 and mobil 1 ep 5w30 to get a 9.5 cst 5w30 to using...

9. fear Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chu china
    btw I-DSI, I called honda china, and asked about 0w-20 original oil for my car, the customer service said: "yes, you can use it safely".

10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Yes, 0w20 is clearly indicated in my owners manual and in the workshop manual.

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    @fear never mix oils. any Honda dealership has knowledge of oil application for all Hondas. o - 20w is being adopted right across the Honda range.

12. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Be careful guys. 0w20 is common in eu, Japan and us. Not in Russia e.g. If not mentioned in Chinese manuals : why take the risk?

13. fear Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chu china

yes 0w-20 is not mentioned in chinese manuals, but honda China HQ said my car is ok to using honda original 0w-20 oil
    - - - Updated - - -
    thanks beefy, yes that's what i be told from china Honda HQ, so I just need waiting my mobil 5w-20 package.. i think it's safer than original honda 0w-20

14. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi guys,
    This is what the official Honda workshop manual mentions for the Accord CU1
    The chart as mentioned here does NOT show 0W20 outside EU so why use it against Honda's R&D advice?
    If Honda China says their local customers do can use 0W20 than we can assume the workshopmanuals and owner manuals are wrong. Dangerous situation and not Honda's way of working.
    Engine (for Service Reminder System applicable EU countries)Always use genuine Honda Motor Oil, ACEA A3/B3 or ACEA A5/B5
    ACEA/SAE viscosity: See chart.
    Engine (for Service Reminder System non-applicable EU countries)Always use genuine Honda Motor Oil, ACEA A1/B1, ACEA A3/B3 or ACEA A5/B5
    ACEA/SAE viscosity: See chart.
    Engine (except EU)Always use API service grade SL or higher
    SAE viscosity: See chart.

15. fear Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chu china
    hi I-DSI:

i know chinese owner manual did not mentions 0w-20 for accord 2011, because of there have not ANY 0w-20 oil until 2013... now 0w-20 sell in Honda china , so hona china HQ said 0w-20 works well for our accord 2011 R20A3 engine.

16. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I've tried and failed to upload the latest oil application chart from Honda. its a read only excel spread sheet. Essentially the vast majority of petrol Hondas post 2002 are recommended 0-20w. regards Accords : petrol variants except the 2.2 Type-R require either 10-40 or 5-40w up to 2002. The 2.2 Type-R requires 5-40w only. All post 2003 reg accord petrols are recommended 0-20w only regardless of engine size and diesel is c2 0-30w.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  17. fear Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chu china
    I saw this chart before, but it's for USA only, honda accord from 2002 be allowed 5w-20, from 2011 be allowed 0w-20.

the bad side: USA accord have no 2.0L , only 2.4 and above, K24&J35, have no R20A3...

R20A7 can use 0w-20, but it's for 2013 acura ILX 2.0 model.

18. fear Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chu china
    ok, this is the USA hona chart.

mobile01-84ddd9bf8effaf4526a3a4095d674a87.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 7th Jan, 2015
  19. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Yes, that oil chart is correct, but it applies to USA. Japan and EU have a different one (including 0W20) but there's no 0W20 recommandation for Russia, China,...
    There is no official source (R&D, workshop manual, etc...) that allows 0W20 for a Chinese Accord 2.0 petrol.
    I'm convinced of the advantages of low viscosity oils and use always the lowest possible grade. In the past I drove French cars. Than I had to use 0W30 or 10W40. No way I would take any risk with engine oil.

20. fear Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chu china
    hi I-DSI, I use mobil 1 ep 5w-20 about 2 weeks, it 's really good.

I wanna know.. with 5w-30, I normally accelerate with 3-4.5k RPM, can i do same with 5w-20? atm I only accelerate with 5w-20 with max 3500 RPM.