Engine & Gearbox Valve Clearances

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2007-2015)' started by Brodziu, Sunday 20th Apr, 2014.

1. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    Hi guys, have you ever adjusted valve clearance on your Jazz? I've got 1.4 and when engine is cold I can clearly hear them, also I'm still under honda happiness guarantee and I'm wondering if this is covered? Thanks

2. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

what mileage. I presume you are talking about the VTEC model??
    I understand 25k interval for the VTEC and 25 or 62k for the dsi.
    if in doubt and its under warranty get it back.
    Regards
    Rick

3. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    sorry, forgot to say that it's 1.4 I-DSI, 2008. with 48k on the clock, it is under honda happiness warranty, but I'm not sure if this can be covered?

4. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

what mileage. I presume you are talking about the VTEC model??
    I understand 25k interval for the VTEC and 25 or 62k for the dsi.
    if in doubt and its under warranty get it back.
    Regards
    Rick
    Hi
    can't comment on honda happiness but the interval on the dsi 2006 and after was 62500 interval for the valves.
    Rick

5. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    well, it seems that I still got a lot of miles left. I think I'll have to give a call to my local dealer to find out about Honda Happiness

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I don't think, unless you can prove to them that the clearances are causing an issue, that they'll do it under guarantee - you never know until you try. They'd probably advise you to leave them until the service interval. It's hard to convince dealers to do work without concrete evidence.

Worth saying, are you positive it's not the fuel injectors you can hear ticking away? I thought I had the same issue on my '07 Accord until I followed some of @SpeedyGee's advice and shoved a towel over them to dampen the sound and went listening to the engine instead.

Nels likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ahhh I hadn't realised that you had gone ahead and done that @DeviateDefiant ... what was the outcome ? A perfectly quiet engine I assume ?

Nels likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Pretty much, could hear the pistons going up/down, nothing that I thought was of concern - it was the injectors making all the noise. Either way I'll get it checked by someone who knows better at some point :Smile:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's a great one to remember !
    Thank you @DeviateDefiant & @SpeedyGee :Drinks:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  10. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I'm pretty sure that valves make that noise not injectors as it can be only heard when engine is cold for a first few miles

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Naah valve clearance is a service item it not covered under HPG that is an approve car warranty bud. If you want I can get a guide up if you want just list your request in this thread Guides - I want this in the guide section • Honda Karma :Niceone:

12. Aqib New Member Getting Started

Pakistan Aqib mush Rawalpindi
    I get the same issue with DSI 1.4.
    Engine rattles as soon as I put it in Drive. Also the car doesn't seem like moving with rpms falling down. F

13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello Aqib and Welcome to HK. It will be of great help if you can specify what car you have got.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sounds like you have got some gearbox issues there @Aqib but as @legend-ary says we need more details.

Also it's customary to Introduce Yourself and tell us about a bit about yourself and your car, so please drop by that section and create a thread.