Engine & Gearbox Valve Clearances

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Roylewaa, Friday 15th Mar, 2013.

1. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm dong my valve clearances tomorrow, and am struggling to find the adjustment measurments, Does anyone know the measurments for a 2.0 VTEC 2001 Accord. thanks in advance

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    From memory I think they are :

Intake : 0.24mm to 0.28mm
    Exhaust : 0.28mm to 0.32mm

I'll try and confirm on my computer at home later on today for you.

3. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That would be great, thank you. When you say 'to' can it be anywhere between those 2 measurments?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes, anywhere in between but I would go for the middle value between the two figures, so 0.26mm for intake and 0.3mm for exhaust. You want the feeler gauge to feel some "drag" when you move it back and forth. If the feeler gauge moves freely in and out you need tighten up a little and if its jammed your too tight.

Also you should only do the valve clearances with the engine stone cold.

Adjust the valves in firing order 1-3-4-2, so start with cylinder 1 at TDC, adjust valves for cylinder and then move onto cylinder 3 at TDC, followed by 4 and then 2.

Last edited: Friday 15th Mar, 2013
  5. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great thanks mate:Thumbup:I assume you mean 0.30mm? I've just bought some new feeler gauges as my old ones were decidedly rusty and im a bit confused as the measurments are in metric and imperial, with the metric sizes going up from 0.05mm to 0.50mm going up in 5's then 10's. Imperial sizes are 0.0015, 0.0002, 0.003, 0.004, 0.006, 0.008, 0.010, 0.012, 0.015 and 0.025. Sorry for all the questions just a little confused and don#t want to fluff up, I've got a mate doing it as he knows what he is doing

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

0.3mm is the same as 0.30mm, just like its the same as 0.300mm as the 0's at the end are superfluous :Smile:

The imperial measurements are thousandths of an inch. So 0.0015 is fifteen thousandths of an inch, which when you convert to millimeters is 0.038mm.

7. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So what measurement on the feeler guage would you recommend I use, for the intake and exhaust clearance? I must really sound thick:Foolish: So is that 0.0010 inch for the intake, and 0.0012 inch for the exhaust in imperial size?

Last edited: Friday 15th Mar, 2013
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The exhaust is easy you've got a 0.30mm gauge (I've added the superfluous zero for you :Smile:).

For the 0.26mm, you could use the 10 thou gauge (0.0010) as that is close as dammit to 0.26mm.

9. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got you, thanks mate:Smile:

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

12 thou (0.0012) is actually 0.3048mm so a fraction more than you want. You could use it, it will do the job but you have a 0.30mm gauge anyway so may as well use that.

11. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I will use the 0.30mm guage

12. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorted, They're was only 4 that really needed adjustment, and then only slightly. Seems to run smoother and definitely quieter on cold startup. Thanks again

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good job :Thumbup:

You'll be surprised what difference a small adjustment makes.

14. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was pleasantly surprised as before the car almost felt lazy, yet now it picks up and accelerates a lot quicker, and i'm in VTEC before I know it:vtec: I was really bricking it when it was being done as I was worried about fluffing the clearances up and doing some damage so it must be right if power has been restored