General VED > Insurance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndyB1976, Tuesday 2nd Jul, 2013.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Well this is my first year of motoring that my annual road tax (£260) is greater than my annual insurance (£256) :lol:

Anyone else? :Wave:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    really first year for you Andy, by the DIY you churn out you would appear to be a veteran! if it any consultation my road tax on my 7th Generation Tourer is £465 a year my comprehensive insurance is £402 pounds!!

So you are better off bud.:Wink:

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I mean first year as in first year tax is less than insurance rather than first year literally lol...

I think my first road tax was about £140 back when there was only one band and insurance was £900+ for my Nova say about 1997/98.

I've only been DIY'ing for 3 year so I take that as a compliment unless you think I am typing it up in my smoking jacket and Sunday paper supplement shoes haha....

4. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Road tax? What's that? Oh yeh now I remember ,we pay it on the price of the fuel as it seemed a fair way to calculate it, the more you use the more you pay, not sure what it works out at but currently paying 116 pence a litre of petrol. Insurance for me Civic 1 .5 lsi about 180 per year full comp.

5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I agree it should be on the litre price, usually bigger engines more polluting mile for mile seems a fair deal.

I hardly drive any miles at the moment say about 4k pa, yet the Corsa at the end of the street is probably doing 20k for a fraction of the VED cost.

Would make keeping a CR-V and S2000 for the weekends a more realistic prospect if VED was on fuel only :lol:

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Why is your road tax so high compared to mine? (also 2.4)

7. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    Wow! £465 for a road tax?? Why so high? I pay £280 a year for my 7th Generation 2.4 saloon.

8. rotation Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wish I was in that situation. £700ish for my insurance, £250 or so for VED.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tourers are heavier and the emit more c02 , but the 2005 prior 2.4 tourers are in a lower bracket of VED and it half price with the same c02.

It was Gordon bastido Brown who changed the VED on 2006 onwards.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Wow, I never noticed that. From only K to L but jumps from £280 to £475!!!! Holy Wallet Buster!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tell me about it.. but the facelift are the ones to own just for overall improvements but if you see why the pre facelift 2.4 Tourer get sold faster than the facelift ones.