Tyres & Wheels Very Low Tyre Wear

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by tomwillie, Tuesday 20th Oct, 2015.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Wife's 2.0EXi manual CR-V went in for 3rd Annual Service & MOT and tread depth all round still 6mm at 18k miles which is amazingly low tyre wear.

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That IS impressive...:clap:

You should add your cars to the club garage @tomwillie and show them off. :Smile:

:garage:

3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    That's good wear indeed.What tyres are you running on

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    How old are her tyres? Tyres should be changed every 4 years regardless of wear as rubber degrades over time. All tyres have manufacturer dates on them (most people arent aware of this) and should be changed if over 4 years

tyre.

Nels and Zebster like this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Michelin recommend 10 years rather than 5, which is also the advice the MOT tester gave me this year.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The tyres are 3 years old original fitment Michelin Latitude Sport 225/60 R18 H 100

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Wife's CR-V now at 18.5k miles and I have checked tread depths myself. All tyres wearing evenly across with fronts a good 5mm & rears 6mm. Without swapping tyres back to front the fronts should be good for 37k miles to get to 3mm tread depth. I once had a Vauxhall Vectra 1.7 diesel 96 reg. leased company car that did 60k miles on Michelin Energy tyres which when changed at 2mm tread depth the replacements of same type lasted another 60k miles when car returned at 120k miles. On my S2000 the second set of rear tyres still have 4mm of tread rear at 37k miles, first lady owner had them changed at about 18k miles i.e. double what many users get. Only slight disappointment is 2.4EXi Accord where front Michelin Primacy 3's will be down to 3mm at about 18k miles, which is not too bad, but rears are wearing, albeit evenly across, at same rate.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    These do wear real quick, mine didn't last 20K.

9. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Standard tyre size is 225/45 ZR18 Y (95) but used alternative as handbook 235/45 R18 W (98) to be able to use Michelin Primacy 3's which are also standard on latest Type-S. Next time will use Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT 225/45 R18 Y (95) which have good feedback from a couple of forum members. Will order online from Blackcircles.com, who have confirmed that if four of these are ordered at same time they guarantee same year & place of manufacture for all the tyres, & get Honda dealer to fit.

The tyre designation on the car makes reference to "ZR18" apparently "ZR" is an old speed rating for +149mph which W at +168mph & Y at +186mph greatly exceed. Why such tyres are fitted to a car with a maximum speed of 140mph is beyond me?

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    To meet the other tyre load requirements?

I just bought some Toyo Proxes for my Toyota and they have a ZR rating.

I've always felt, possibly wrongly, that if a tyre isn't wearing then it isn't gripping.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's a fair assumption @Zebster, if the compound is soft it will grip loads but wear fast, if the compound is hard it will grip less but also wear less. So if it's not really wearing then it fair assumption to say it's not relly gripping.

Zebster likes this.
  12. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom BEA London
    Regarding speed ratings I seem to recall they need rating for the maximum speed the vehicle can reach on a specific downhill slope... So fast cars also need speed limiters or the roadtyres just don't exist to comply

13. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Tyre grip is dependent on tread pattern design and in the wet a tyre with hard rubber but good tread will have more grip than a badly worn or slick tyre with very soft rubber.

I used to drive 30k miles/year in Vectra with long lasting Michelin Energy tyres & never felt insecure & was one of the more speedy drivers on daily 95 x 2 miles daily commute. Also no problems in wet with our current CR-V's long lasting tyres which are sporty (soft rubber?) tyres but which will probably not grip so well in snow as previous SE grade 3rd generation CR-V which was good in snow with its Dualer tyres non of which needed replacing at about 38k when car traded in.

We usually get a good life out of tyres as most journeys are on main roads, motorways or urban slow speed roads with few roundabouts. Driving fast on twisty country roads or living in a place Milton Keynes, which has dual carriageway ring road with multitude of roundabouts, will wear out tyres of any sort quite quickly.

The Accord is the most gently driven of our cars but wear from Michelin Primacy 3's on rear are not as expected and is probably due to toe in alignment. Michelin advised to get alignment as parallel as possible which was achieved once (+01' individual) when rears were then wearing at half rate of fronts. After nudging a high kerb when existing a car park had another alignment done & rears back to wearing as quickly as front, probably due to rear toe in being set to individual target of +08' which is only +1mm with 18in wheels. At least in spite of Accord always, according to alignment read outs, having negative camber near max of -1 deg 42' the rear tyres have worn evenly across?

The tyre label on the Accord states 225/45ZR 18 95 Y hence I investigated "ZR" designation which turns out to be an old speed rating which is put on some tyres together with the newer W, Y etc speed ratings.

Last edited: Monday 23rd Nov, 2015