General Vibration during acceleration

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Kash, Sunday 20th Dec, 2015.

1. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Kash Nelson
    Hi guys,

My car has just recently started vibrating at around 50mph during acceleration. The vibration seems to be coming around the footwell and through the steering wheel. Been to local tyre fitter who checked the front tyres, and they were confirmed as fine when I had them checked after balancing.

Alarmingly the front drivers side tyre had been worn quite badly on the inside. What could be causing these symptoms? I'm guessing tracking needs looking at. I've got a bad feeling that it could be a driveshaft, as I had similar symptoms with a 2.4 accord Type-S many years ago. But I would've thought a 2011 CR-V diesel with 74k shouldn't be afflicted with premature driveshaft failure? But in saying that the accord I had did have this issue at similar age and mileage....

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If the tyres are worn unevenly they will exhibit the above symptoms. Replace the excessively worn tyres and sort the tracking it will be fine.

My rule for this is never assume it's hardware related IE suspension on driveshaft it always the round rubber on the rims which needs to be a perfect circle.

3. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It would be worthwhile getting a full 4 wheel alignment with geo setup first before thinking the worst.
    When I done the setup on mine, the company said it would be wise to carry out this at least once per year. When mine was done she was out in a number of areas.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not really do the basic checks under the ramp with the crow bar , see and feel what the suspension is doing and replace any dodgy bits then take it for 4 wheel alignment just the one time.

5. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just thought I'd update this. Went for full 4 wheel alignment on a Hunter machine, there were issues but have been corrected. However the issue still persists, going to my local trusted mechanic tomorrow. Fingers crossed we can resolve this
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also had all 4 wheels balanced too

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Got exactly the same problem.
    Vibration start on mine when i hit 60mph but not felt through streering wheel at all.
    Whole car start to shake really bad when i accelerate hard.

Too busy today to investigate but suspect drive shafts might be fecked.
    I'll try and have a look tomorrow under the car and see if anything bent or out of ordinary.

7. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hope you get sorted, because this is driving me insane! Been researching on the internet and it seems a common problem on all ages of CR-V, not just 3rd Generation

FR-V likes this.
  8. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Try swapping the tyres from front to back. If that sorts it you needed new rear tyres.

9. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is second tyre I've had and its still the same

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likewise
    I'll try and have a look tomorrow.
    Keep you posted if i discover anything.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just browsing online inner CV joint seems to be common culprit.

12. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

That's a shame the 4 wheel alignment did not fix :Frown:

Hopefully your next course of action sorts issue out

13. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

An update as promised. There is no play in any joint or bush, and driveshafts have been given the all clear.

14. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I shake violently from time to time, I normally find a bottle of wine cures it.

FR-V and Racy Jace like this.