Accord Vibration through steering wheel.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harvey, Wednesday 2nd Mar, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've recently had two new Dunlop Sport Blueresponse tyres fitted to the front of my car and switched the 5mm + Goodyear Efficientgrip performance to the back. I know someone is gonna give me stick about that, but it was my decision, especially to get rid of the off brand tyres that used to reside at the rear of the car.

Anyway I have noticed that since having the tyres changed I now get vibration through the steering wheel if I exceed a certain speed (in this case a little over 70) I noticed this while overtaking a particularly poor driver who couldn't seem to keep in their lane very well.

Am I correct in thinking that there might be an issue with the balance of the tyres and I should take the car back and have it checked?

2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re balance the rear tyres. I had this in my 8th Generation.

3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

the rear ones?
    The rear ones used to be on the front and didn't do it before. I am just curious as to why the rear ones might cause vibration through the steering wheel.

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes the rear ones. I put my old tyres to the back and over 70 the steering wheel went nuts. You'd swear it was the fronts but it wasn't. I swapped them back to prove it then bought new tyres as they were worn any way.

Harvey likes this.
  5. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    It sounds like a balance/alignment issue. I had this problem in mine in that the wheel would wobble, even at low speed, but it was caused by a warped rear disc. It's unlikely that your discs are warped if you're just noticing it, leading me to think it's the balancing or alignment that's slightly off.

6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Personally I'd get all 4 balanced and go from there, some tyre fitters are rubbish at balancing or just don't care.

7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd first get the old rear tyres balanced and take it from there. You may not need to do the fronts again.

Keep us updated though.

8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good News!

Turned out it was the front wheels that where out of balance. I took it back to the tyre place and they re did them free of charge, as they remembered me coming in a few weeks ago, as they commented how clean my car was, compared to others of the same age.

Took it for a test drive this evening and the vibration that I had noticed is non existent now.
    So thanks for everyone's input

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Glad you got it sorted mate

Harvey likes this.