Tyres & Wheels Vibrations are back

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Wednesday 29th May, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Never went away fully but the vibrations are back with a vengeance. Car had been sitting in a car park for 4 days and on the drive home between 60-70mph the steering wheel starts doing the electric boogaloo again so I'm not sure how it suddenly got so bad when it's been parked up.

Front wheels have been balanced and four wheel alignment done a few weeks ago. Perhaps I should pop the rears on the front. I hate it when there's vibrations.

2. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Get your wishbone's checked dude, and maybe get your tyres checked at a different place. you could even have a tyre out of shape or a balancing weight come off.?

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My vibrations were down to the back wheels. New tyres sorted it out in the end. It started to vibrate @ 80mph. The weird thing was that Id swapped the back wheels to the front and had no problems so thought the back wheels were fine. Which they weren't. Get all wheels balanced and take it from there.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think getting all wheels balanced would be a good start. I do recall hitting a pot hole a while ago after I got them balanced so I guess a weight or two may have come off. My tyres on the front are better so I may pop them on the back as there's that other thread which reveals how that's supposed to be safer - although it doesn't seem to take into account braking in that most of the braking force is on the front - so wouldn't it be better to have them on the front especially if it's wet?

Can the wishbone's cause vibration? What would I be looking for?

Cheers

5. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wishbones have been the cause of vibration on cars i have played with in the past, don't have personal experience with the accord though. You want to check the condition of the bushes and the ball joint on your wishbone. Ideally you want to get a prybar in and check for excess movement / wear.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cool, cheers. I'm taking it to a local garage when I get a chance to get all the wheels balanced. I'll get them to have a peek whilst it's there. :Smile:

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I decided to swap the front to the rear and the vibrations have gone! :Smile: Set all the tyre pressures but the steering doesn't feel as planted, perhaps due to the cheap tyres being on the front now? Still seems to grip fine, just feels a little lighter - but I can live with this so long as the nasty vibrations are gone!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bud unbalanced wheels\tyres lead to bearing failure albeit you can't feel it on the front wheel but the rear bearing will be getting hammered. Don't leave it too long.

9. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would get them balanced and put on the back again and see if the problem goes. That way you'll no exactly what the problem was.

I went through the same process and thought it was the front wheels that were the problem as the vibrations disappeared when I put the back wheels to the front. After fitting new front tyres and several balances later later there were still vibrations?? I then needed the rears changing by this time and it solved the problem completely. I now know for a fact that it was the rears that was the problem and not the front.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    No worries, I'll still get them all balanced. I reckon these potholes aren't helping, I manage to miss most but sometimes the damaged bit of road spans the entire width and even at 3mph the car still jolts. Grrrrr.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just a quick update, I got the rear two checked out and they were still spot on so it's a mystery again. It can't be the suspension as there's no vibration with the older tyres on the front. They said if you had a heavy bit of crude stuck in the wheel it could have caused it and as my car does go through some crap each week I guess it's a possibility.

Well, at least I've had them checked and can stop worrying! :Smile:

12. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2597287

Hi all. Check the above link where there is a detailed trouble shooting guide regarding vibration. Enjoy

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, will do.