Tyres & Wheels Vibrations

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Tuesday 16th Apr, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    After having buckled wheels on my last car and the problem never really went away despite getting brand new wheels, I'm gutted to find vibrations with my Honda!

It starts up through the steering wheel at 52mph and continues to vibrate until 62mph. It comes back very slightly at about 70mph and I can only feel it when going straight. Obviously first impression is wheel balancing but the front two tyres are brand new and I watched them balance the wheels and didn't allow the "5" tolerance they say is ok but ensured it came back with the green "OK".

But, it was KwikFit (unfortunately they were the only ones open) and I'm wondering if it's possible that their actual wheel balancing machine may not be calibrated accurately? Can this happen as I don't know much about these machines?

Or could there be something else wrong, although I would suspect that anything else would cause vibrations all the time? I hate it when the damn wheels vibrate! lol Ruins the ride big time :Angry:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have this problem at the moment too. I am in the process of sending the tyres back as they have been balanced and aligned several times. I put the worn tyres from the back onto the front and the problem goes away. I just get a judder at high speed which I only found out the other week when I went to Holdcroft via the motorway. They said they were fine but when I got another opinion I did notice the one tyre was egg shaped slightly. All wheels should be force balanced ideally which would solve any problems but buying a new machine that has this capability isn't an option for most garages.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Hmm, I'm sure KwikFit said the min. weight they did was 5. Another thing I noticed was there was a little excess rubber around the rim of the tyre which they said was just part of the mould. Checked that link but I don't know anywhere that will allow such time.

Does anyone know where I can get this tyre checking done in Glasgow? If the tyre is bad I take it I can go back to Kwikfit?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It would be best to avoid KF as they are not the best in the world TBH.

vanderlei likes this.
  6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well a big thumbs up to F1 Autocentre that are now changing my tyres for free as they are the incorrect load rating. I'll take it straight on to the motorway to check for vibrations when the new tyres are fitted. I just need my rear tyres replacing now.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Unfortunately, I don't think I could take an hour and half of vibrating down to the border to reach an F1 Centre! lol

8. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It was the F1 autocentre that fitted the tyre in the first place. Maybe it was the wrong load rating that contributed to the vibration or may be it was just a bad tyre? Either way Honda say it should be a 98 load rating so they had no choice but to change it.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    As I don't have access to my car or manual at the moment, would anyone know what the Speed and Load rating for a 2005 Honda Accord Saloon Executive 2.4i Petrol would be?

- - - Updated - - -

Just thought I'd update, my front new tyres are 91W but my rear ones (that were already on the car) are 94W. Could this be the problem?

EDIT: Called Honda up and as they struggled to find out I found it myself by looking online. Not sure what on earth is going on with them these days. Anyway, the load rating is fine.

I figured Honda should have all the latest kit so I asked about them checking the front wheels and they said they could check the balancing and also the tyre, although he didn't sound convincing about the tyre check but then said he would need an hour and a half: to take a wheel off spin it on the machine and then do the same for the other wheel. Seriously, how can that take 1 1/2 hours?

Last edited: Tuesday 16th Apr, 2013
  10. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I have all 4 tyres extra load 94 on my tourere which have a bit harder side wall, no vibration at all, so IMO as long as tyres are in good condition without any cracks, buckles, wheels are balanced and correctly inflated you shouldn't have any problems, but if it comes to vibration quite common issue in 7 gen's are bearings holding longer axle shaft, vibrations are noticeble during acceleration

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Happy to note out this is only applicable to diesel due to the increase torque and NVH due to the diesel engine.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers. I've got an idea which is to go to a place I know who tried to help me with the ford mondeo, they seemed fairly keen to look more closely at the wheels etc. I remember they had two different types of balancing machines, a new one and old one so perhaps its just bad balancing at kwikcon.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Jeez I can't believe this but I thought I'd start with the wheel balances first before looking at he tyres and the suspension. I went to a local independent tyre fitters and there are no kids. Stuck the front N/S wheel on the machine (slightly more old skool machine) and is was a fair bit out and he showed me. New balances put on.

The he checked the front f/s wheel on and it read 50 on one side and 30 on the other!!! New balances put on and the car drives silky smooth again. Never ever will I use kwik fit again for even the most simple job. Their machine must be way out of calibration.

vanderlei and Ichiban like this.
  14. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Kwikfit will always find a way to get money out of you !

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not any more, not a chance. I'd rather run about with that ridiculous skinny spare wheel than go back to them. Felt really unsafe when on the motorway (the one I use the most is a 50mph limit so I was bang on the vibrations) and I'm really surprised that a company as big and high profile as them aren't having their equipment checked on a regular basis - especially when it is wheels and tyres. I wonder how many other people it's happened to?

Not sure about forum rules but am I allowed to name the actual branch as there's a few members from Glasgow here?

16. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I think most people on the forum know not to go to places like Kwikfit and it's a shame you have had to find that out the hard way but at least you know for the future :Smile:

17. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just caught this post. If they put the wrong tyre on your car I think they are worse than Kwik Fit.
    Not that I ever use Kwik Fit. Did once big mistake, they burnt all the outer shroud off my handbrake cable off with an oxy torch on my old cavalier.

18. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It was a 94 load rating instead of 98. Im not sure how important that is. They changed the tyres no problem with out any fuss but I still get vibrations at speed. Google says it could be my rear tyres so thats my next step especially as they need changing anyway.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Also to point out a reputable tyre brand and new tyres should be balanced below 50 grams of weight anything higher then it is the alloy wheel which is not true.

Cheaper tyre brands well they not made to an exact specification or trueness.

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've never and would never use them for mechanical stuff etc, but for sticking a tyre on I figured they should be ok, I mean how far can you go wrong with popping a tyre on? Evidentially, it would seem even the most simple of tasks is beyond them.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just had a look at their last 5 years worth of accounts and I feel a lot better now. It looks like they are now on borrowed time.