Off-Topic Volkswagen recalls 2.6 million cars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Friday 15th Nov, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I bet that was a hard one for VW to admit!

VW Recalls 2.6m Cars Worldwide Over Faults

To me this 7 Speed DSG is just another bit of proof that when you try and get too fancy things just go wrong. I believe it is notorious for going wrong.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They have been hiding this for some time, this was the same time when all manufacturers were coming out with their global recalls. The Germans were taking the moral high ground our cars are not affected.

They have timed this to perceived to be doing the right thing as their isn't a mass recall around at the moment .. but made their customers suffer for all this what does that tell you... they don't care at all and they know suckers will still buy their junk.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Well, well, well...

My 2009 Tiguan auto went bang (literally) on the M1, which is why I got rid of it. At the time it was fixed (under warranty) just my local dealer had the gearboxes on back order as they had others that needed replacement.

Only afterwards did I find out that this is a known issue - and how long has it taken VAG to admit to it? Shocking.

Some good comments on the article too...my favourite,

Also in What Car? magazine last month, they had a chap who wanted to replace his auto Golf as he was fed up with the reliability issues and had lost confidence in VAG group cars. Hardly surprising really...

4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    VW suck! That's all there is to it.. The weasels. At VW Audi have known for years there were issues with their autos and did jack.. They have known for years about the electrical issues on passats golfs bora lupo polo A6 A4 and others which share systems did they do a recall? No unless you are in USA or Canada that is!!
    Why do people buy their cars..
    VAG wouldn't have done this recall/calls without some severe arm twisting

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Here's a few notes about AUDI who everyone seems to love and consider a reliable car:

AUDI RS4 (2005-2008): New Price from £51K - £60K
    -> Complaints of faulty standard iron discs needing replacement every 6,000 miles
    -> Front dampers can leak and PAS hoses can fail.
    -> Seems to be quite a severe problem of carbon build up in intake manifolds of RS4 FSI engines
    -> Possible to buy an RS4 then immediately have to spend £9,000 (WTF!!!!) on dydnamic draive dampers, inlet manifold swirl flaps, intercoolers, carbing up (Terraclean), automatic grille flaps, brakes, tyres.
    -> Unknown date TSB to dealers to fit rubber covers to prevent dirt and grit damaging the seals of the DRC struts. May 2009 Audi TSB to replace leaking dampers of DRC system on RS6s under an "enhanced support package" valid for 6 years or 120k miles, but only if the car icon1. has been exclusively Audi dealer maintained.

For a car of that price I find some of these issues a disgrace.

6. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wooow there buddy please don't include me as an Audi VAG lover :Smile:
    I find their cars and policy's on customer comes first or rather comes first until we have their cash then forget them sickening and have experienced this first hand once too often. This is a company I would happily see go to the wall not that it's likely given market share and their vast flock of sheep eager to throw away good money for a plastic chrome plated badge :Smile:

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Sorry, I was meaning it as an addition to your post :Smile:

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I know was kidding bud :Smile:
    I have a bit of a dislike of VAG :Smile:

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Me too. Never, ever, EVER again will I waste money on a VAG product! Nor will any member of my family. Or any of my friends. Or anybody else that ever asks me if I can help it. :Angry:

10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've never seen the attraction of VAG cars to be honest. Bland to look at dynamically dull, crude, heavy, unrefined, vastly over priced, non-existent spec, unreliable and don't even get me started on Audi! :Banned:

Would sooner buy a

:BavarianTractor:

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately I'm nearly buried in the things around here.

11. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    I do like Audi's and Golf's but before I get hammered for that fact, I like the original marques of the past, the first Audi Quattro and Golf GTI.
    About 20 yrs ago I nearly bought an Audi Quattro but thought better of it, yes it was good to drive but I knew I would end up wrapping it and me around a tree so went and bought something more suitable.

12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had a pearl white 20v Quattro very last of the good ones also had some great 2nd Generation Gti golfs which were 100% reliable. However VAG then started on their slippery slide down hill to the land of arrogant git manufactures and they have kept on sliding, taking quality and reliability with them. Their current crop of crud belong in the scrap yards being recycled back into the bean tins they started as before they were pressed into A4s passats and the like..

Neil, SpeedyGee and John Dickson like this.
  13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

VAG cars used to be good but like you say they're now well down the slippery slope of quality and reliability deterioration.

Neil and Primarycare like this.
  14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

But the badge is priceless :-£ oh and the chrome work on those rings is just to die for hahaha
    Yeah slippery slope to oblivion I hope

Neil and John Dickson like this.
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Just for DSG? What about the gazillion other inherit faults in them. The DSG box itself isn't made by VAG, it was designed by BorgWorner and made by them and then licensed to VAG.

Never seen the appeal of VW as someone else said, they are awesomely boring, horridly bland to drive, unreliable and lack any sort of character. I would much rather have a french car.

John Dickson likes this.
  17. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

VW do suck and I am no lover of their cars however people buy them.
    People these days aren't interested in reliability and in most cases people will pay that much extra for looks than anything else.
    i.e. people will pay crazy amounts of money just for an iphone. My mate paid over £500 for the iphone 5 when it came out. Absolutely marbles -lol

It does seem the germans are hitting peoples notes with their car styling

John Dickson likes this.
  18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Like many things, perception is what counts, not reality.
    It's cool to have an iPhone. I've made it if I drive a German car...
    The list goes on, but I won't.
    I'll just say, we're not all gullible ! :Tea:

John Dickson and FirstHonda like this.
  19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Spot on! I had a colleague a few years ago who replaced a troublesome Audi with another Audi. When I expressed surprise, he told me that if he didn't have another Audi his friends and relatives would think he wasn't successful. At least he was honest, as I guess a lot of people choose Audi/BMW for exactly that reason but would claim otherwise.