Electrical & Lights Voltage drop

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Thursday 29th Aug, 2013.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Managed to do some very quick testing of the power supply to my dvd rom. There is a constant 12v which I presume is to preserve data in the flash rom, however hoving to position one on the ignition switch sees this drop to 11v, go to position two and it's hovering around 10v, didn't get to cranking but I suspect it'll drop under 10v. Going through the ignition switch avoids this to an extent. I took these readings from the dvd rom power in so I can't 100% rule out a problem with the dvd rom but it's unlikely. Should there be a voltage drop like that? It's a new ignition switch by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Just thinking this out, a bad earth could cause this. I wonder if the earth from battery terminal to chassis is sound? Where are the other grounds to check?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hmmm Stu don't you have an existing thread on your DVD issue ?

3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

yes but it is a wider issue I thought it might get more interest. However, seems I'm wrong so move it/delete it as you see fit.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hhmmm OK.

If you've got a different voltage at the DVD than you have at the battery then you have a wiring/circuit issue somewhere. Most likely earthing or it could be ignition switch or maybe some other wiring damage somewhere.

5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

In my experience if the voltage is dropping this much it wouod have a big effect on the DVD booting properly.
    I ahve seen many products fail to work because of poor batteries and under voltage, modern electronics are very senitive to this kind of thing.

it does seem as though you may have a poor connectoin somewhere on the posotive or negative side. Battery voltage will only drop this much under resonable load and a DVD drive should not be drawing enough current to drop the voltage that much. Have you checked with the engine running since the alternator should be holding the battery volts at around 13 or more. If its low when the engine is running then there is a wiring issue.

Tony

6. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I know Tony but to be honest my hearts not in it at the moment, not sure how long I'm going to keep it.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oh dear another unhappy camper.. what you going for Stu.