Off-Topic Volvo Brakes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nighthawk, Wednesday 21st Oct, 2015.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Family friends S60 2.4 is due for its MOT soon however I got called upon as it was making banging noises whenever the car pulled off from a stationary position and the handbrake would not engage. This was only on the offside rear wheel. It would pull up to the top of its ratchet mechanism but it did nothing.

So, I initially thought, fine, a dodgy cable and a sticky pad intially so when the rotor moves, it knocks the pad loose and causes it to bang in the carrier.

Up she went, wheel off, and what I found was much worse, and in fact, quite scary.

Who can spot the issue here? As a hint, when I removed the disc, I had metal fragments fall into my hands

20151021_104418.

She is all fixed now, I took the opportunity to convince her to change everything front and rear as they needed doing

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Would they be the remnants of the rivets that fell into your hands?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Worn down to the rivets, no brake leather, just metal.

4. Nighthawk Guest

There was about 4 mm of friction material left

Problem was, it had seperated from the shoes and was floating around within the hub. The spinning hub had totally shattered one into loads of little pieces, the second one remained welded onto the inside of the shoe lining. Even still, you can see where chunks have been taken out of it - I presume by the other brake lining being tossed about.

20151021_120021.

Thought I had taken a picture of the shattered bits, but guess not

She had only had it fully serviced last year, however when I pulled it apart, they used Unipart pads and shoes after taking out the OEM stuff. She told me to just get it back on the road and replace what I would as on my own car. so she got new pads and discs all round and new shoes. Been a while since I worked on brake shoes so it was good for a refresher.

I have to give credit to Volvo dealership here - I called them up, told them that I needed these parts ASAP, preferebly now, they got the shoes in from another dealer for me and gave me a 30% discount (cost just over 320 for everything). He also chucked in some free retaining springs for the shoes and asked me if I was going to bleed everything afterwards to which when I said I was, he just popped a litre of brake fluid on the desk as well. Didnt charge me for either the new springs or fluid and merely said "Well your day is planned out then isnt it"

Worrying to think that Uniparts quality control is such when brake material can seperate and potentially cause a serious issue - that would be bad if that was the front pads. Incidentally, the pads were still virtually brand new.

exec likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

So is the work all done now ?

Or are you still to do it ?

6. Nighthawk Guest

All done mate, finished at 11pm last night - new discs/pads and shoes, all OEM and system fully bled. Brought it home last night after doing it to give them a chance to bed in before giving it back to its owner as she would have panicked when trying to brake on fresh discs and pads due to them not being bedded in. Decided to try that Bosch Superfit grease as DD and CJ often talk about it.

Volvo also provided brand new caliper carrier bolts as well which was decent of them.

Handbrake works - three clicks and fully engaged. I just thought it was concerning how brake parts like that just disintegrated.

Now my girl is having another date with the jet washer :blush:

exec likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Those are getting quite intimate with each other !!

Job well done mate ! :Thumbup:

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid::GoodJob: