Dealers/Garages VOSA MOT inspection manual 2012

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by Ichiban, Sunday 18th Dec, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    (dead link removed by staff)

The new 2012 MOT inspection guide , there has been a lot of speculation about HID lights retro fitted well it in black and white now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015
    AccordCU2 likes this.
  2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hmmm. Well it now appears official. Must have self levelling and washers. The Accord has the washers but not self levelling :Frown:
  3. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I still think its open for discussion. It says self levelling MAY be fitted and where fitted it must work, implying that if its not fitted it doesn`t have to work.

It goes on to say that "where HIDs are fitted switch on the headlamps and check the operation of ANY headlamp levelling fitted"

So surely that sentence means that the Accords manual levelling is acceptable.
  4. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As you've said Dave a lot is up for interpretation. It does say in the manual that the self levelling may be hard to check so the benefit of doubt should be given.
  5. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thats right. I don`t think I`ll be ripping out my HIDs just yet. I`ll wait `til March and see what the MOT tester thinks though like you say it may come down to individual interpretation.
  6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Got mine in a couple of weeks so will see. Although not in force yet I don't believe.
  7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I heard there is something in there as well saying that if the VSA light is on the car will fail.
  8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's correct Cliff, definite fail. Also power steering is being checked, low fluid worn or leaking components.
    Nothing is being classed as a failure until 1st April though, advisories until then.
  9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    VSA light on looks to be a fail now for sure. although the HID section is no where near clear cut!
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can see people breaking off the legs pins to the VSA led on the dash to get it through an MOT.
  11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Do testers look for certain lights to come on when the key is turned to detect that sort of jiggery pokery?
  12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    they do for ABS lights but looking at those guidelines there is nothing in there for stability/braking assist. a dealer of that mark will be wise to it, but i havnt checked the new posters all test stations recieve. maybe there is the procedure listed for VSA aswel or an additional one being handed out?
  13. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

From what I read the testers are expected to check the light on start up. They can also test the light by switching it off.
  14. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Here's a link detailing all the key changes.

There is a lot of changes people are unaware of. Like the seat adjustment must work, and the rear doors must open properly.
  15. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

So if anyone has the VSA light on it might be worth taking the test before the new rules start to get an extra year's MOT certification under the current rules.
  16. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    After seeing the VOSA inspection DVD for the new 2012 MOT rules. For HID's I think the use of the terms 'MAY be fitted', 'where fitted', and 'ANY headlamp levelling fitted' are very misleading if you take these words literally and hang on them. According to the DVD which is VOSA's interpretation of their own rules any car which has a light output over 2000 lumens must have headlight washers and auto levellers. They have chosen this method because it is increasingly difficult to distinguish between the various types of bulbs. HID's fall into this category so therefore mush have them. The headlight washers are very easy to test for by activating them. But the auto levellers are impossible to test for without lifting one end of the car to cause their activation, so under these circumstances the benefit of the doubt must be given to the presenter that they are fitted and working. The only issue would be if the tester saw the manual headlight levelling switch on the dashboard. Also cars with HID's fitted after market need to be held to the same standards as those fitted during manufacture.

For the VSA the testers are expected to check the light upon start up, but due to the number of systems with check lights on start up this is not realistically possible. To compensate for this the operation of the switch to turn the system off is also a testable item. So removing the bulb to stop the light appearing, indication a VSA failure, to get an MOT pass will only cause a failure when the switch is deemed defective because the light doesn't come on when the system is turned off.

But as usual the rules come into effect on the 1st of Jan but will be advisories for the 1st 3 months.
  17. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That would make sense to, mines due in April, so I'll do it four weeks before. Just in case anything I don't know about crops up.
  18. Blue Guru Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I passed MOT in january with my HIDs in as usual. We'll see what happens next year now, lol:Grin:
  19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I spoke to the tester today who did mine. He seemed a bit sketchy on what was allowed he said about self levelling but stated that as long as the beam fell within the requirements then they were fine???
    The only other thing he did say was that the sidelight bulbs must be white any other colour was a fail. It ses like they are wanting to get rid of the blue type light to me.
  20. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't think anyone's going to get a definite answer on aftermarket HIDs.
    It all depends how far an individual MOT tester wishes to look.