Introductions VSA / ABS Pump and modulator problem

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by daveaw339, Sunday 17th Jun, 2012.

1. daveaw339 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi to all the AOC members

My name is Dave and I am from Nottinghamshire, and i'm also a complete novice when it comes to anything mechanical, and I was hoping to get a little help.

My problem started a few weeks ago when 2 amber warning lights appeared on my dash, I went to Honda and they told me it was my VSA/ABS pump and modulator (fault codes 84-1, 66-1), this as now been replaced and the same lights are still on on, I have had a live data scan perfomed and that shows that I have an O/C to the brake pressure sensor relay, can anyone tell me where this realy is located,what it looks like and if at all possible a part number?
    With any luck this may sort out my problem, and prevent me from spending nearly £2k.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey and welcome to AOC , did The Honda dealer replace VSA module with a brand new part?

Could you tell us how you came to determine the brake pressure relay as being the culprit?
  3. daveaw339 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, no Honda didn’t replace module, they wanted nearly £2,000 to replace the pump and modulator.
    I had a live data diagnostic scan, and this showed a low voltage reading and the person who performed the scan believes that there could be an open circuit to the relay, as at the time only 1 fault code (66-1) appeared.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Last edited: Monday 18th Jun, 2012
  4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fault 66-1 is the brake pressure sensor, which is part of the VSA modulator.
    In your original post you say something has been replaced. What was?
    Also what year is your car and mileage?
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Dave,

66-1 is a terminal error code there is no fix for it , any other attempt to fix will be futile have a look at this thread regarding the warranty extension.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  6. daveaw339 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have had the VSA / ABS pump and modulator replaced with one I had sourced in Germany, with all numbers matching. The year of the car is 2004 and the car as only covered 48000 miles.

Thanks for the link, but I think my car is too old.
  7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Have you cleared the 66-1 code now you've replaced the VSA module?
  8. daveaw339 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No that code is still showing
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can you contact the seller of the second hand part, this part also has the terminal error you would ideally want your money back.
  10. daveaw339 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I’ve been in contact with seller, and he says that the module was inspected / tested and was proved to be in good working order, the module does have 12 months warranty, so if need be I will have to go down that route.
  11. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

As the guys have already said,get it changed.The TSB does say the new part has some modification which the older ones don't.

So if you go for the older one you may get a repeat of the same error.

is it really worth it?