Electrical & Lights VSA Help Please (Again)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by philmo, Monday 17th Feb, 2014.

1. philmo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My wife's 2005 - Accord 2.2 I-CTDI was purchased with the VSA light on, we got a
    good deal. The car has 135k miles
    It has previously gone through MOT's ok, but not today due to VOSN law changes.
    My local garage who were very helpful, but could only get so far with their
    electronic diagnostics - which suggested it showed the brake sensor
    pressure switch had gone.

But to check for sure I think I have to get it to a Honda dealer so they can run
    through diagnostics, they are quoting £86 per hour.
    Previously Honda UK and my local dealer have quoted around £1800 for a new VSA module - ex
    fitting. Frightening.

Today they were a little more helpful, and suggested they could get one repaired by
    sending it away - and this would cost between £200 to £400.
    I presume this would be to someone like BBA Reman - who when I spoke to them
    suggested it would be cost around £99 to repair or £250 to supply a
    reconditioned one. Again they seemed helpful.

My question is, is the brake pressure switch a likely reason for the VSA
    light to come on, or is this a generic description to describe an overall /
    other problem?.

Or should I take to Honda (who I have lost some faith in) to have it hooked up to
    their electronic testing.

Excuse my ignorance, am not a big petrol head - but need to sort this before MOT runs
    out in early March.

Thanks

Last edited: Monday 17th Feb, 2014
  2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is normally the part on the VSA modulator that fails. Just get it repaired by BBA reman or get them to supply a recon one.

3. philmo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, is this a normal job for any garage to do - or do you think I should have Honda do it ?. Couple of hours work ?. Thanks for the reply.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Before you go sending it off you need to get the error codes read on the unit. Does your local dealer have the necessary equipment to correctly identify the problem? A generic code reader may not identify the correct fault code. A 66-1 (brake pressure sensor) fault code will require it to be sent to BBA reman to have the faulty internal sensor fixed. You need to confirm this first before condemning the unit. If it did produce a 66-1 code I would have the error cleared from the unit and see if it reappears. Some times the codes refuse to clear because they are genuinely stuffed, other times they clear and don't return.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  5. philmo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Really helpful thanks Doc. The garage who were helpful who told me the fault was a faulty brake sensor switch did not have a code, to be fair they did not charge me so could not push them too much. So to a Honda dealer it is I guess ?. Am in Bristol, there are a couple - just not keen on paying their £84 per hour labour !.

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Either a Honda dealer or if you can find someone close by with a HDS (Honda Diagnostic Software) unit.

7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Or a snap on unit will read 66-1 code as well.

8. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

just a thought on this one, my shed puller was showing lots of lights after I bought it. I said in an earlier thread what happened, result is that the car had been clocked. I knew I had bought a lemon so checked it all out and found it was going to cost me to sort it, its nearly sorted and one of the problems was similar to this thread. I needed pads discs and prob with sensor. when I replaced said items and cleaned sensor connections the sensor lights cleared so I now have a spare bearing and sensor :Wink:

9. philmo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's a good point, will have that checked.

So today I have to find a local garage (Bristol area) who can check for the right fault code, have one in mind - any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks all again.

- - - Updated - - -

As a limited update, I have found a recommended garage fairly local (not Honda) that have diagnostic equipment that will (or should) apparently produce a fault code so I can move forward.

The car is going in tomorrow, so I will post an update when I can.

- - - Updated - - -

An update, and not great news - garage have confirmed the report code 66-1 - Brake pressure sensor failure. So are my only options to either buy a new one for £1500 plus an hours labour ! or have them remove it and send it to BBA Reman and hope for the best ?. My worry is to send this to BBA Reman and then they fit it (they will only of course guarantee their labour) for it still to be an issue. Any help appreciated.

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Not good news on the 66-1 code. Yes they are your 2 options but I'd say your best option is to get BBA Reman to replace the faulty sensor.

Do you mean the garage will only guarantee their labour? If so then that's completely understandable. BBA will of course guarantee their own work anyway. BBA will test the unit before and after their repair to identify the problem to ensure they fix the correct sensor and it is working correctly. The sensor they replace it with is a different, better, design so the problem won't reoccur. There have been others who have had the same repair done through BBA and none have reported any problems after.

11. philmo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks - have made arrangements for it to be collected and will update the forum when done. BBA were really helpful.

Thanks all.

12. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    Changing the module is not that hard providing you are reasonably proficient with the spanners. check out my post on how to do it, http://hondakarma.com/guides/vsa-module-change-diesel.8/ All you need to do afterwards is bleed the brakes, I bought Gunston easy-bleed kit, made life dead easy.

DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  13. philmo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A belated update, and a positive one (sorry for the delay).
    The module was removed and sent to BBA reman, who repaired it and sent it back to my garage within around 5 days. The garage fitted it and all was ok and the light is now out. Total cost £99 repair + carrier cost + 2.5 hours garage labour. A result - thanks again for the help here.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's great to hear Philmo. Thanks for reporting back :Niceone:

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    That's a great price from BBA their usual price is around double that price.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bump for I-CTDI owners.