Engine & Gearbox VSA light came on?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Paulcornwall, Thursday 22nd Jan, 2015.

1. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Penzance
    Hi guys, driving back from work this evening and the VSA light and caution triangle comes on? Pulled over turned engine off and restarted - back to normal. Any one got any ideas what's happening here? Should I be concerned. It's a 05 2l sport petrol.

2. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    First things first, check you haven't knocked the VSA button

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Same as Rob has suggested, if that does not work then you ideally need to get the code read to see which component is complaining.,

Anything changed on your recently?

4. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Recent purchase from a nightmare of a garage, I just hope this is not another fault not mentioned in the description ! Defo not knocked the button.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    hmmmmm. needs plugging into a diagnostic computer and find out the fault code. no point in guessing. most likely a wheel speed sensor

6. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wheel speed sensor - expensive job? DIY able?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's not too bad on either accounts, the only issue is that upon attempting to take the sensor out, they can break and then they need drilling out.
    This guide will give you some idea of what is involved.

As @Beefy says thought, first things first, get the code read (HDS or SnapOn). I would also then have it reset in the first case to see if it actually comes back. Additionally, in HDS there is a "calibration" procedure, have this run when the code reader is plugged in.
    This was all mine needed when the VSA light came on several years ago.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Unless it happens again, or starts becoming a regular thing, don't read into it too much right off the bat. I had it once or twice on my '03 over a long period but there was never any VSA related codes, and never really an issue - chances are I had a rare intermittant issue with a VSS sensor.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Oh sorry, missed that fact that it had gone off after you switched ignition off and then back on !

In that case as @DeviateDefiant says, don't worry about it unless it happens again.

10. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Either way, if there is a problem, it's back to the garage.

11. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Mine has come on just the once - exiting a greasy roundabout with the caravan on the back and a front wheel momentarily lost grip.
    It is cold and icey, could you have done the same? If so it is doing its job.

Bones126 and SpeedyGee like this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's a good point @FR-V

13. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    I think the OP was saying the warning light had come on and stayed on - not sure you'd expect that unless there was a genuine error. I know mines been flashing on and off with the snow we've had in Sheffield and that's normal behaviour. As others have said, monitor it - I've had a similar thing in the past on a Volvo during really bad weather, the ABS warning came on and stayed on but when I'd completed my drive and re-started, it did not return and never did - I think on that ocassion some debris must have interfered with the ring or sensor.

14. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Thats initially what I thought, but having re-read it, I think it was on, then he turned the ignition off then back on and the VSA light was off.

15. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    You're right Princepugh, mine went out immediately. Mind you if it cleared when the ignition was switched off and didn't reappear I wouldn't be worried.

Princepugh likes this.
  16. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys, yeah your correct, it came on and stayed on until I pulled over and restarted and then it was fine. Will keep an eye on it. Where are these wheel sensors located (somewhere around the wheel I guess)

17. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    They're on the hub.

There are two reasons the VSA light comes on when there's a genuine fault; you have a faulty wheel sensor, or you have a modulator failure.

Each of these display different codes when connected to diagnostic equipment.

From reading countless threads and having experienced both faults on my previous Accord, when the light has spontaneously come on then gone off again, that's often a precursor to a wheel sensor on the way out or being contaminated.

Princepugh and Nighthawk like this.
  18. skullianz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom ian winchester
    I'm having a similar issue with my FR-V at the moment, the VSA light and warning triangle will come on and the engine management light will also come on, I pull over and switch off when I re-start the VSA will be off but em still on, I took it to a local garage who did a diagnostic check and said my battery was dead, (I had had an issue with it going flat recently when my mother -in-law sat in the car with the radio on and the engine off and had to jump start it with jump leads to another car) so I had a new battery fitted and seemed to do the trick, however it has started to do it again.

19. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    Low battery voltage can trigger all kinds of system warnings so it might be best to get the battery and charge system checked first?

20. skullianz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom ian winchester
    my wife was visiting her mum in southampton today when it kicked off so she took it to a garage there and the diagnostic computer said it is a YOR rate sensor fault causing the issue.