Electrical & Lights VSA light on with DTC 84-01 Sensor Logic Failure

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by RUSNAFU, Friday 19th Apr, 2013.

1. RUSNAFU Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nottm
    First post and advice needed please!

The VSA light is permanently on and the VSA button does not work. I currently have error code 84-01 Sensor Logic Failure.
    My local Honda dealer have stated (over the telephone) that this is likely to mean a new VSA modulator.
    From the sticky thread here the DTC for a fried unit is 66-1? I can't figure out or find anywhere or on google what the DTC 84-01 relates to! The dealer would not discuss the code with me without checking it first themselves.

I recently had all 3 ABS / Brake / VSA lights on. I had this code and one relating to an ABS sensor being down, the ABS sensor has been replaced, that code reset and the ABS and Brake dash lights are gone. The VSA light remains.

The car still drives fine with no noticeable problems.

Any suggestions or past experience with this code would be greatly received. I'm not willing to fork out for a new unit and a refurb is still pretty steep.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Do you have a petrol or diesel Accord ?

Please do pop over to the "Introduce yourself" section and say a few words about yourself and your car.

I think that relates to the wheel sensor but can't remember for sure, I had this error last year.

First thing to try is get it connected to a HDS system and have the code reset and then do a calibration. This did the trick for me when I had a 84-01 error last year on my petrol Accord.

Last edited: Friday 19th Apr, 2013
  3. RUSNAFU Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nottm
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll put something on the introductions thread later today.

I have a 2004 diesel Accord that I've owned for 7 years, it's now done over 130k and has had no issues (other than the cracked manifold!). I've regularly done the servicing myself including discs and pads but that's about my limit.
    I don't have a HDS so it'll be a trip to the garage again.... I have seen these Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner, Scan tool check Engine Light CAR CODE READER for ELM327: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike as a cheap DIY reader but not sure they can reset codes? Any experience of these cheap readers?
    I had also read a simple way of calibrating using a paperclip and jumping terminals but I typically can't find it now!

Thanks again.

4. RUSNAFU Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nottm
    The good news is it's hopefully not a new modulator as per the telephone conversation with Honda!

My previous reply is in moderation.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

No sorry, they maybe ok for resetting general OBD codes but they won't work on the Honda sub systems.

Not heard of that method for VSA issues. That may have been for reseting SRS aribag lights ?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Oh BTW the Diesel VSA system is different from the Petrol one. Whereas the Petrol one is pretty trouble free, the diesel ones can need new modulators to fix issues (this is unheard of on the petrol cars). This is why I asked about which one you had.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any updates on this buddy?

8. RUSNAFU Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nottm
    Apologies for this - its only taken around 18 months to reply!

I have finally sorted the VSA light (84-1) issue following the instructions.I used a wire to jump terminals 4 (earth) and 9 on the OBD port and followed the instructions.
    The VSA light is now off and the VSA button is back in full working order (light comes on when VSA deactivated).

HondaBrian likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  10. RUSNAFU Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nottm
    Thanks, I hadn't seen the other thread and it didn't come up searching the error code. Still can't quite believe it's sorted so easily after this long!
    Accepting this is a bodged solution would it be worth putting on HDS anyway?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If it works why touch it matey , if it pops up then look at it. :Thumbup:

12. Honda crazy New Member Getting Started

South Africa Mark Cape Town
    Hi, I have the same error code ( 84-1) on my Accord. Could you please tell me what the instructions were to solve the problem

13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    It seems like he hasn't been online for over a year so unlikely you will be getting a response from him.
    @Ichiban and @SpeedyGee might be able to help here.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    84-1 means that a 'neutralisation' is required. We discussed this a while back on this page (with links to other pages and forums)... ABS and VSA Lights | Page 3 (Electrical & Lights - )

But, unless you've recently had a replacement sensor, then it's an unexpected occurrence!

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I once had to do a neutral position reset without having replaced a sensor.