Electrical & Lights VSA light on??

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by PatrickNG, Tuesday 9th Oct, 2012.

1. PatrickNG New Member Getting Started

Did anyone have VSA light on? How was it sorted???

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and welcome to AOC
    Could you take five minutes and introduce yourself in relevant section.
    Is your car diesel or petrol? It could be number of things,search a bit and you should find your answer.
    If you get stuck fire away and somebody will help you out.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. hondavtecr Trader

Chris Manchester
    Have you had the car checked over at all?

4. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    As said, depending on your model. but there is a manufacturing fault with the VSA module between certain years, if the codes are checked, you'll get 066-1 (or something like it, forgotten now!) which refers to a communication fault between the module and the ECU.
    In the USA, Honda recalled all Accords to have it rectified, over here, all they've done is extend the warranty on this part to 4 years, or 64K miles (or there-abouts) if you fall out of this period, it will cost you anything between £1400 -£2000 for Honda to replace the module.
    I have the 2.2CDTi diesel model, now 7 years old, and over 90K under it's belt, but I wasn't going to pay Honda a small fortune to do this job.
    On the Diesel, this module is behind the O/S headlight.
    To get it out, you first have to remove the whole front bumper (plenty of posts on how to do that) then remove the RH headlight.
    There is an upright bracket between the module and the belts held with a hose clipped to it, it's held only with a couple of small bolts, remove that bracket.
    Unclip the wiring plug, and prise out the plastic harness clip from the bracket.
    Unscrew the various brake pipes.
    The carrier for the module is now only held by 3 small bolts. (10mm head size)
    1 is easy to see at the front, the 2nd one is diagonally across behind the module and can easily be got to with a socket & long extension. the 3rd bolt however is a bit of a pig, it's underneath the module in the engine compartment, right in line with the alternator pully, Be aware that you don't need to remove this bolt, you only need to slacken it off as the hole in the bracket is slotted & open at one end.
    Unclip the air conditioning pipes from the plastic slips.

The module is now ready to come out. With a little assistance gently lift up the selection of brake pipes (I put a long tie wrap loosely around them to assist) and by tilting the module ant-clockwise as it comes, it will come out.

THERE IS NO NEED TO DRAIN OR UNDO ANY OTHER WATER OR POWER STEERING PIPES they just need un-clipping where required.

Once the module is out on it's mounting bracket, it can be removed from it then posted away for repair.

I've sent mine to this place, BBA reman. ABS, ecu's, throttle bodies, air mass meters, and catalytic converters cost is approx £135 + vat & pp

P1020469. P1020470. P1020471.

KB1377, Doc and Ichiban like this.
  5. dave ed New Member Getting Started

I had the same problem with my 56 reg 2.2CDTi which had done 102k miles earlier this year. My local garage did the job and sent the unit to ECU testing for repair. They chose to take the unit out from the top of the engine by disconnecting the aircon I think. It cost about £380 all in and it's been fine since so I was happy enough. It also meant it passed the MOT with no advisories.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Goof information there Biffo :Thumbup:

7. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    As I put it back together, I'll take a few more photo's and rewrite the method again.

8. Johndai New Member Getting Started

I have the same problem with my 55reg 2.2 CTDi which had only done 64,000 miles. The VSA light went on when there was a battery failure and hasn't functioned since. My MOT is due shortly so presume the car will fail with the light continually on.

Since the VSA is an enhancement on the traction and stability control and is optional when driving, as it can be temporarilly switched off, I would like to know whether the VSA light can be permanently disconnected, rather than replaced? Does anyone know whether this has ever been done, and if it is a straight forward procedure? This might be a significant saving!

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The VSA is now part of the MOT. Having the VSA light illuminated on the dash board will now cause an MOT failure. It is not directly possible to test the VSA function and VOSA has acknowledged some people will remove the dashboard bulb if their VSA module is registering a fault to circumvent an MOT failure. So to ensure the unit is working, and the bulb hasn't been removed, the inspector also tests the function of the of the VSA OFF switch. When activated if this does not produce a warning light on the dash board the switch is deemed to be faulty and this will instead cause an MOT failure.

10. Johndai New Member Getting Started

Thanks Doc for your comprehensive reply. So no option but to get the VSA modulator replaced.

Since my Accord had been main dealer serviced throughout and was marginally over the extended warranty criteria, Honda has at least offered the modulator at a discounted price, still comes to £552 plus fitting, £720 total. So my next MOT/service is going to be pricey. Will just have to keep the car longer and fingers crossed the VSA doesn't go again!!

I still love Hondas but do believe Honda UK should have done the honourable thing and recalled the faulty VSAs as in the States. Most owners of secondhand Hondas can't afford a bill of £1400-£2000. I expected better of Honda!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes they did do it you had to be within the parameters of the extension to avail it.. It was never going to be for life replacement.

http://hondakarma.com/threads/41/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  12. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Your VSA module won't go again as the replacement part will be a revised unit without the manufacturing fault. So you won't have to stump up the cash again.

Honda have given you a good discount on the new unit the standard price is well over £1k. So it's well worth taking them up on it. But another option is to have the faulty sensor in the old module repaired by a 3rd party for arount £200-£250. This will also permanently fix the problem.

13. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    Right, the module is back and fitted, all panels refitted etc, brakes bled, job sorted, no more warning light!

They called me to say that my module was knackered beyond repair, but they had a refurbished one in stock that they could supply, needless to say I took them up on it.

With the dreaded VAT and next day delivery it came to £294. Life time garantee'd

I took loads more photo's, so will put together a "how to do it" thread when I get the chance.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is great news bud..a DIY thread would be superb!

15. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    Ok, I've put together a thread on how I changed my VSA module, in truth, now that I know how to do it, for anyone with reasonable mechanical DIY skills, it's not hard to do.

Thread is here. http://hondakarma.com/threads/2818/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    Ichiban likes this.
  16. BobSol Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys
    Got the VSA light on my 2004 2.4i Type-S Tourer. Had the car seven years, 34K on clock. Ignore? Whine at Honda? Cheap Fix? Sell? Cut Wrists In Warm Bath. Advice please folks. Ta!

17. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello Bob

You need the fault codes read to find out exactly whats going on. Modulator faults are mainly a diesel problem.
    You can contact Honda but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
    Could simply be ABS sensor problem.

Just read your intro post. When were the discs and calipers replaced? Did the VSA fault appear straight after?

Last edited: Friday 16th Nov, 2012
  18. BobSol Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Rob
    Thanks for the quick response. No, the discs were changed about three years ago at about 24K because they were wearing strangely and badly rusted. The N/S rear caliper was replaced at the last MOT because it was binding. Three months later the O/S rear caliper was replaced for the same problem.I thought that was the end of the issues, but now the VSA light has come on. Fortunately, it passed the MOT last week.

19. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is it just the VSA light or is the ABS one on too?

20. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Mine went in 2010 but was replaced by previous owner lucky for me - at Honda main dealer.. Would that have been the revised part do you think?