Electrical & Lights VSA light+triangle & engine light after battery died

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by scigo, Saturday 13th Jul, 2013.

1. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom scigo United Kingdom
    I need a big help. Last night the battery on the FR-V died and today I have jump started the car and I have got VSA+triangle and engine light on at the dashboard. they were not there before. Can I do something about it myself or does it have to go to a garage.
    I read a little bit about it and it looks expensive repair, but then again somebody said to disconnect a battery and they will disappear.
    How can I check battery is OK. there is an indicator on the battery but I do not know what it means.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jump start ? By pushing it and jerking it in gear or by a booster pack?

3. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Using jump leads

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Probably got those as the VSA module had not initialised due to lack of voltage. Get the battery charged and the lights should disappear.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    VSA light+triangle & engine light after battery died

I wish people didn't use them I hate them with a passion. They are known to fry ECU sensors and anything electrical . I know it's an inconvenience but the battery should be charged and car started with its own battery. The chance of human error are so high in using 24v option to start a car ...!!! So were you sure you used 12v to jump start it. As for the error on the VSA you want the error code read to see what it is. Any idea why your car battery died ?

6. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

IchibanAccord speak to me about computers and can tell you a lot, but I don't understand cars. I used the only option I was "advised" and connected my other car with black and red cable to red and ground on Honda. The car started immediately. WHy it went down I do not know, which is a worry. I bought the car couple of weeks ago and it was on my driveway since. yesterday I was fitting the digital changer to replace and had few things on, but only for short period of time. When it came to starting, it would not. THere was not enough power to close the windows. I left it overnight, but in the morning same, not enough charge to start. The battery is genuine Honda, I would not be surprised if it is there since new. the small indicator window is black

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    VSA light+triangle & engine light after battery died

Sorry mate Jump start using another car .. My bad I assumed Jump start by a booster pack. The procedure you used is fine and a recommended method. As speedy has said you have started your car with help which would still equate to a low charge on the battery. if you can disconnect the battery terminals and charge the battery to full charge using trickle charger an see what happens. The warning light on the dash will be a temp DTC stored due to low volts and can be cleared easily .

8. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

update. I bought new battery removed the old, cleaned. then I found that it is 0310 so just over three years old. it wasn't white in the indicator which means faulty so I decided to put it back. car started without error and didn't even ask for radio code.

9. Boglost Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had my battery go discharged twice shortly after buying my 2008 7th Generation. Accord EX. I had been checking out the Sat Nav. I started the car as per the handbook using another vehicle. The interesting thing is this: I took the car to the Honda main dealer who checked the battery and gave me a print out of it's condition. However the service chap said that merely putting the key in the ignition slot uses power and that if I wanted to listen to the radio with the engine off the battery would go flat!. I queried the illogicality of this, to which he replied "he didn't design the cars" His opinion was that the engine should be left running if I chose to listen to the radio or CD. It was at this point I thought 'bring back ammeters' and why did I part with the Megane.

10. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have to say I was a bit (still am) surprised about the fact how little the battery lasted, but again I would compare it to megane. I think it was just coincidence. I am just not sure if I can trust the battery. how long should a genuine Honda battery last?

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I have to say I'm a little surprised at your logic on this. The service chap is completely right! To put your key in the ignition and turn it to position 2 to listen to activate the sat nav doesn't just turn the sat nav on. Firstly the sat nav is a very thirsty piece of kit, not only does it power the screen but it also has to acquire around 8 satellites, engages bluetooth, and has computing power. Plus your car will also disengage the car immobiliser via powering the ECU, and powers the fuel pump to prime the fuel rail for when you go to start the engine. If you're driving a diesel it will also preheat the glow plugs. This is on top of all the ancillary devices such as the blower fan, electric windows and interior lights and dashboard illumination. Now, unless you're expecting your battery to recharge itself using some mystical force instead of the alternator, are you surprised your battery goes flat?!? All these modern luxury devices have one thing in common - they all use electricity!

12. Boglost Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Doc I am aware that position II feeds all the necessary start-up systems, what I find illogical is that the Sat Nav that obviously needs to be set-up prior to setting sail needs the key to be in position II. I quote “Important Safety Information – Enter as much information into the system before you begin driving”. Power could be fed through a simple on-off switch while the key is in the auxiliary position. As for my belief in mystical forces producing electricity.....................

13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    As I'm sure you've noticed by now if you were to set the sat nav before starting the engine as soon as you turn the key to position 3 to start the engine the power to the sat nav is cut temporarily so as soon as you release the key back to position 2 you'd have to re-input all the information again. There is a difference between having the engine running and actually beginning driving. What the instructions are eluding to is not setting the sat nav while you're actually driving down the road which would be a distraction. Sitting on your drive with the engine running while you set the sat nav can't be deemed as unsafe.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're problem is though. At the minute you start the engine, set the sat nav, then drive off. What you're suggesting is set the sat nav, start the engine, then drive off. I don't understand what difference it makes or the benefit you would get from the 1st two actions being the other way round.

14. Boglost Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Doc, we are at variance here. The Sat Nav does not lose the inputted information when the engine is turned on, or off for that matter. The implication there is that directions need to be inputted with the engine running and would mean that every time you switch it off the the relevant guidance info has to be re-input. That will also include any waypoints that have been set.

I require the Sat Nav to use the roads I want, therefore I need to ascertain the route it has chosen is the one I want, and if not then I use waypoints to make sure it does. The graphical representation of mapping on the Accord is not commensurate with finding particular roads easily; therefore doing so becomes time consuming.

Because I pull a caravan I check routes on Google street level mapping to ensure a route is suitable for negotiating with a tin tent. You may consider this OTT, I believe it is merely good planning and preparation. The Sat Nav is just a tool that needs the correct info to be entered to do its job to my satisfaction; it just takes a long time on the Accord, hence my view that the device should be usable without any unnecessary systems being powered up.

If you merely wish to input a postcode or address and follow one of the five options the Sat Nav comes up with, that is quickly done, but if more control is required it can then become a laborious process.

As for leaving the engine running on the drive, that is bad practice from an ecological, noise, neighbour and purse point of view and certainly something I would not consider.

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Re: VSA light+triangle & engine light after battery died

Hi Boglost,
    Is there no way of uploading a well prepared route with 'TYRE'-software? Trace Your Route Everywhere. I use it all the time for wonderfull routes by motorcycle (with TomTom Rider).
    I have in my Accord the accessory Garmin-Honda sat nav. There's a slot for SD, I believe it must be possble with that one. Not sure about the built in sat nav.
    You can use TYRE for Tomtom and Garmin. Works great, with Google maps on your pc.

- - - Updated - - -

Can follow you on that one:Smile:. I also even cut the engine when waiting for a train. It's useless spill of precious fuel. And I program my sat nav also before starting the engine, just as you.

16. Boglost Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi I-DSI

Yep, I also shut down at level crossings, I've noticed too that a lot of other drivers are doing likewise.

I was unaware of TYRE, but as their web site says they don't have to advertise it, also my motorcycling days are well past!

With the built in Accord Sat Nav all info has to be input through the device itself and this is not as easy as with TomTom or Garmin devices. I enjoy maps and planning routes has always been part of the enjoyment of driving ('er indoors is knitting me an anorak as I tripe!)

I had hoped the latest DVD mapping for the Accord may have improved the graphics, especially at a cost of £153, but no, also road updates appear to be some two years behind.

I do like the Sat Nav voice (very easy on the ears) and the positional accuracy - it will tell me to move to the designated route even though I'm only a few yards away in my drive, very impressive and especially welcome when negotiating large multi exit roundabouts.

17. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Totally agree that the 'maps' and planning are half of the holiday and driving pleasure. Especially with a motorcycle, where the type of road you're driving on is all of the pleasure or just nothing.
    So the built in sat nav has no ability to upload pre prepared routes? That's a pitty! Especially if you know that even the cheapest Tomtoms or Garmins can be connected with pc and take any route you put into the 'itn'-folder.
    But as you say the built in has some strong points: accuracy, voice (quality, because it can use the good built in speakers!), you always have your device with you and don't forget: it will not get stolen!

Boglost likes this.