Suspension, Steering and Brakes VSA Misbehaving

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nauest, Tuesday 16th Aug, 2016.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Hi Guys,

I know there is quite a lot about the VSA/ABS System on here, but couldn't find one matching my symptoms.

For the last few months my car has occasionally been firing the right front brake via the VSA system, usually at slow speeds in dry normal conditions. It happens maybe once a month or less.

Its quite unnerving and probably not very safe!

Anyone got an idea what could be wrong?

Cheers!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When the last time your brakes where bleed ? check the disc and pads for uneven wear also

3. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I replaced that calliper about 6 month ago and bled the brakes at that point. But I seem to remember I had the problem before that.

I think the disks are slightly unevenly worn.

This problem only happens when I am NOT braking.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well its next to impossible to feel what you are as you are driving the car, to see if there is an issue look at the ECU if it has any DTC stored for VSA.There are some tests which can be conducted via HDS to see if the unit if working.
    At the moment you cannot say definitively its the VSA , its your interpretation of an issue.

nauest likes this.
  5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Does your VSA flash when this happens ?
    If not this sounds like a sticky calliper that might be caused by dirt and road grime.

6. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    When it happens the VSA light does flash, but it does not stay on after it happens. There are no DTC's stored on the ECU. The VSA light works as it should on startup and when it is deactivated.

I have a almost new calliper on that side, only happens when driving, often a long time after braking. It is definitely active intervention from the braking system.

Maybe HDS diagnostics is my only option?
    - - - Updated - - -
    It appears that the VSA believes that it is making a legitimate action. I guess it must be getting false data from somewhere?

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Maybe the sensor was damaged when the new caliper was fitted? Might be worth checking the sensor connector hasn't been knocked loose?

A standard OBD2 reader cannot read stored codes associated with the ABS/VSA system but, as you seem to know, the HDS can. But you should also be able to read these stored codes using this technique...
    ABS and VSA Lights | Page 3 (Electrical & Lights - )

nauest likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    nauest likes this.
  9. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Cheers Zebster, I will try both those things.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Further on in that thread I linked to I also copied some info from the Honda workshop manual explaining how to interpret the resulting codes.

nauest likes this.