Electrical & Lights VSA Warning Light

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Nighthawk, Saturday 16th Aug, 2014.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Hello all, been a while since I last posted but I have been browsing around silently.

As the topic suggests, I have had my VSA warning light come on. I have browsed around a bit and know that the VSA module isnt exactly the most reliable component on these cars (gen 7 2006 diesel). Car has been absolutely perfect over the years however decided to throw its toys out of the cot. Arrived home the other night, all was fine with the car, turned it back on the next morning and the VSA light was on. I did the basics, checked the fuses etc, all of these were fine. I have worked on many cars but never with stability control systems. I have an OBD reader however, as I soon learned, it doesnt read ABS/VSA codes, only engine ones. I tried the old trick of jumping the OBD plug (connectors 9 and 4), which took the care into service mode. The dash flashed up "DTC - NO" which, from my research means that there are no active error codes. Is this correct? The ABS light, being now in service mode, started flashing its code, and counting them up, came with 61 and 66. Further research has suggested that 61 is a power issue of the VSA modulator either being too high or too low and that 66 is a pressure sensor issue within the modulator. The ABS light is not on and the ABS system works fine (tested it)

I see that a member has changed this themselves before

VSA Module Change (Diesel) • Honda Karma

Does the new modulator need to be programmed in at all or can I just get a refurbished one and change them over?

For the past year or so, every time I have started the car from a cold start, it clicked whenever I hit 10-15 mph, clicked in the sense where it would hesitate ever so slightly for a split second. Sounded like a relay was kicking in,but it would cause hesitation. Ever since the VSA system has disabled itself a few days ago, this click no longer happens, so I am starting to think that it was the VSA module that was already showing signs of failure, but something that I could never pin point. Is this possible?

Anyway, found a new module here

HONDA ACCORD 2.2 ABS (PUMP & ECU/MODULE COMBINED) - Part No: 57110-SEF-E610-M1 / 06210906613

Which coincides with my exact part number.

Can someone explain to me how the DTC shows that there are no errors, but the old fashioned method of the flashing ABS light shows two error codes. Does the DTC over write itself? Does it remove an error if that error then fixes itself? If I take the car to Honda for a scan, are they likely to just say there are no DTC's recorded or, I am assuming from reading on here, the systems they use are much cleverer than that and can discover faults regardless?

Thanks all, sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my head around this VSA.

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd pop it to Honda before you start spending money on a modulator and get them to check the fault code just to be 100% sure.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Don't spend any money unless you have a definitive source of the DTC. Sometimes 66-1 will come up and they can be erased to never come back.Check the near side rear ABS sensor on saloons.

5. Nighthawk Guest

Thanks everyone, I will get it scanned properly tomorrow. If it was related to an ABS sensor, would the ABS warning light not be on as well? (Which it isnt)

6. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I've just had a rear ABS sensor replaced - the VSA and ABS light were on.

7. Nighthawk Guest

Just an update, Honda confirmed 66-1 and gave me a written quotation of £2200 and asked me when I wanted to book the car in and then looked surprised when I laughed at them.

A new VSA module it is then. Does a new VSA module need to be calibrated at all or can I literally just swap them over?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Opps .. you knew about that already :Blushing:

Have a look through that, I don't know off the top of my head. I think it may just sort itself out after replacement.

10. Nighthawk Guest

Thanks for your response, I think I will just get her installed and see what happens. If I need to take it in to get it reset or calibrated, then I will do so.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    get the code removed does the light go away ..don't blindly trust 66-1 .. i give up

12. Nighthawk Guest

According to Honda yes, they tried. Reading from the report they gave me:

"Found 3 codes
    - 61-1 battery voltage failure
    - 11-1 O/S front wheel speed sensor open (This was from when I removed the hub to replace the lower ball joints and I remember VSA flagged up for a minute before I drove and it took turned off again by itself)
    - 66-1 brake pressure sensor failure
    Cleared codes and reset 2 successfully, 66-1 still remains - req ABS/VSA mod"

When I booked it in, I did specifically ask them to try to clear all the codes which I was told they do by default.

Trust me, I would rather not spend money on a new modulator if I can help it...lol

13. Nighthawk Guest

Oh, and no, light is still on

14. Nighthawk Guest

If there is another way of testing it to be sure, I am more than happy to try it out - sorry for the triple post, can't seem to edit my last ones

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ah, hadn't realised this hadn't actually been done. Get it cleared @Nighthawk , sometimes that's all they need.

16. Nighthawk Guest