Electrical & Lights VSA warning light

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by RobsyUK, Sunday 3rd Apr, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    VSA warning light.

I'm convinced the garage I took the car too to have the 4 wheel alight meant that could do it have deliberately done things to my car for more work.
    The CV boot wasn't leaking before it went there and it didn't pull to one side.
    I've just got back from a night session fishing and while turning right out of the car park the via light came on.

I got home turned the engine off and on and it's gone but I bet it'll come back on anytime soon.

I tried pressing the baa button and it did nothing. Could it be a loose sensor?

2. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Hopefully an ABS sensor rather than a VSA modulator fault.

Not an easy task, but perhaps time to find a new garage if you mistrust the outfit who have been working on the car so far.
    Maybe some of the local members can suggest somewhere near to you that has a good reputation and they can scan for fault codes in the system.
    If it were to be a modulator issue there is a company who reconditions Honda VSA/ABS units for a fraction of the cost of replacement HONDA ECU Products Not used them myself but worth a try if it comes to the worst.

3. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Which lights do you have on your dash?
    These ones? IMG_20160313_134407.

If yes, I had the same fault not to long ago. There was a wheel/ABS sensor on the driver side rear in my which became all dirty and rusty causing the lights to come on, on the dash.
    After a clean, it went off.

4. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Just the VSA! in the rev clock.
    It's gone off and hasn't come on.
    Cleaning the sensors hopefully us like a cavalier and chances are the garage sprayed wd40 everywhere and it's clogged the sensor.
    But yes I won't be going back there.
    I have noticed also that since ownership the MPG has gone from 32mpg to 23mpg!
    Now I live in roundabout city but can't believe it'll be that bad!

5. stu(pid) Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Doesn't the VSA light coming on while pulling away, just mean you had a bit a wheel spin? Especially likely if you were turning whilst pulling away.

DrSam likes this.
  6. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It must have been but I didn't feel the spin.
    Today on a greasy roundabout the VSA triangle (but no letters) came on for a second as I slid round.

I think I'm just paranoid and expecting the car to fail. Past experiance of dealers cars have cost me a fortune in repairs.

7. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    That's actually a valid point.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's just telling you that the VSA system kicked in to help you out. Nothing to worry about here, system is just doing it's job.

Nighthawk and DrSam like this.
  9. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks,
    Being new to Honda I see a light and panic like a girl.

10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The VSA activating will flash rapidly and kill the power temporarily. As @SpeedyGee says, its normal. Its the system doing what its designed to do.

11. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Kill the power :Frown: that's disappointing..

12. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    It will do it in conjunction with the traction control - its to stop the car plowing nose first into the nearest roundabout, so it will apply the brakes on whichever side needs it and kill the power to keep the car under control.

Hondas tend to kick in their safety devices quite late in comparison to some other marques I have driven so you can have a little bit more fun before the gods of technology take it all away again

13. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    VSA comes on mine if it is really windy and the car gets blown sideways too, I think it's because the suspension gets lifted out of normal parameter.
    Also, when I pull off too quick and brake too hard in the wet. I have heard VSA can come on when car if fully laden and the suspension is under load, I believe it's more sensitive under this condition. Also if the car has been lowered, again it takes it out of it's normal parameters.
    I would worry if it stays on and can not be cleared.

14. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    May be wrong here, but i believe it alters the ignition timing to reduce engine power.

VSA was one reason i ended up getting an older non VSA EV1 Civic. Although it was impressive how you could basically trust the system to keep the car pretty steady in wet corners without having to lift off the throttle, it is nice having to "feel" what the car is doing and adjust throttle input the old fashioned way.

RobsyUK likes this.