Suspension, Steering and Brakes VSD & ABS - ???

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by twedspeed, Saturday 10th Sep, 2016.

1. twedspeed New Member Getting Started

Hi does anyone know the answers to these Civic related questions ??
    My 07 plate - 2.L diesel – 4door – Civic, has started getting the ABS & the VSD warning lights coming on together – on wet days they hardly come on at all – But always on hot dry days ?
    A lad down the pub said “it’s the ABS sensor” an easy and relitavely cheap fix I should be able to manage myself – So my questions for the forum are these.

1 / ….Where do the sensor wires meet up once they’ve gone into the engine bay ? , - When I put the steering on full lock I can see the sensor wire quite clearly going from the wheel hub – along the susspension and disappearing through what looks like a grommet in the wheel arch into the engine bay – but when I lift the bonnet I can't find them ? – where do they disappear to ??
    2/ Lad down the pub says – I just need to find out which one is faulty , and replace that one ! - I have access to a “Fluke “ multi meter – can I use this to identify the faulty one ? if so how - what setting ?.
    3/ Do the rear wheels have ABS sensors on them – or is it just the front ones that have the ABS on them because they are the ones that do the steering ? -
    4/ Is the guy down the pub full of it ? – is the fault likely to be what he says or is it something wayyyy more expensive .

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The "lad down the pub" screams warning signs to me.

First thing you need to do is to get the codes pulled to find out exactly what is wrong otherwise you are guessing which is a very costly mistake to make. ABS is on all 4 wheels, it has to be for the stability control to work properly and to prevent the rear wheels locking in an emergency braking situation. In the nicest possible way, your mechanical knowledge appears quite limited so ABS is DEFINETLY something that you should leave for the experts. By VSD, I assume you mean VSA which is the stability control.

Get a proper diagnosis and a code pulled by Honda. The generic code readers from ebay won't pull ABS codes and it needs the proper tools to be able to do so. ABS sensors can be "quick fixes" if thats what it is and it doesnt snap off within the hub whilst trying to remove it. In which case it would become anything other than a cheap or quick fix.

Also, pop over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about you and your car.

3. twedspeed New Member Getting Started

OK Will do - and yeah - I think your probs right - you can't mess about when it comes to brakes , at the end of the day - Cheers.

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    That's typical "bloke down the pub BS" if there is a permanent fault it will be stored in the ABS/VSA ECU. You can have Honda diagnose the fault or A good independent garage will have a code reader that will work with your vehicle. Randomly replacing sensors and waving a multimeter about cluelessley will not find out what's wrong.

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I was waiting to hear your reaction @Beefy mate. My pacemaker isnt working right. The bloke down the pub says they do that ocassionally and not to worry but my surgeon tells me its failing. You reckon the guy down the pub is right?

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    @twedspeed - I reckon that it's perfectly reasonable to use a Fluke multimeter to check that each wheel sensor has matching continuity, but best to do this at the sensor connector (disconnecting each sensor, then checking the resistance through the sensor when disconnected). This way you can rule out an open-circuit (or even short-circuit) sensor rather than having to understand how all the wiring runs back to the ABS/VSA ECU. But it may not be a sensor that's causing the problem.

On my PFL 7th Generation Accord it is possible to short out pins on the OBD2 port connector to engage a built-in diagnostics mode that allows the stored error code to be displayed by the VSA warning light flashing... Indeed my DVD copy of the genuine Honda service manual describes this procedure and how to interpret the flashes. And I've previously provided links to a YouTube clip showing how to do this, but I won't do this here, as you have a different car! Maybe have a look on YT to see if this is shown for your Civic?

Last edited: Sunday 11th Sep, 2016
  7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    This is an intermittent fault. As with any ABS fault on a Honda, whatever causes the fault will put on the warning lamp. As soon as the condition has stopped the light will go out. Not to deter you from fixing this yourself. But how skilled are you with vehicles?

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi, late reply. But what model is this?
    The 'normal' 2007 Civic diesel is a 2.2 engine (not 2.0) and it was available in 5-door or 3 door (Type-S).
    Never heard of a 2007 4-door 2 liter diesel.
    Can you put it in the garage section with pictures please? Makes it a lot easier to answer questions.