Engine & Gearbox VTEC just kicked in, yo (allegedly)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Saturday 8th Nov, 2014.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Looking at some of the videos of people driving Hondas with VTEC engines, mine seems to be extremely 'subtle' about the VTEC kicking in, to the extent of me wondering if it's actually working or not - thus leading me to asking the following questions -
    1. At what revs should the VTEC kick in on my 2.0 Civic Type-S ? I can't seem to find a definite answer on this
    2. Is it supposed to be so subtle when it kicks in (assuming it is) ?
    3. If there WAS an issue and VTEC was not kicking in, would I be able to detect this with an error code that I could pick up with an OBD reader ?
    4. Does my foot have to be flat to get it to kick in, or do I just need to rev past a certain value ?
    5. Does VTEC work in every gear ?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wouldn't say VTEC is that subtle but it depends on what you're expecting. Was the engine fully warmed up when you engaged VTEC?

Foot doesn't have to be flat down... on my 1.8 I need 4300ish in any gear to engage VTEC which should answer your last two questions.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The K20A3 uses i-VTEC and is setup to achieve economy not performance as such.

My laptop battery is running low but a quick answer in on a K20A3 VTEC engages at 2200 RPMs ... I'll explain later.

Last edited: Sunday 9th Nov, 2014
    Nighthawk likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Right I'm back online. So like I was saying that i-VTEC on the K20A3 is geared towards economy.
    VTEC is engaged to open the second intake valve at around 2200RPM (this is actually variable depending on load), before this (on each cylinder) one intake valve opens fully whilst the other one only opens partially. This creates a swirls effect which helps the fuel burn better.

Then around 4700RPM the VTC advances ignition timing, you may feel a bit of a kick at this point.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks for the reply @Chunkylover53 , and the detailed explanation from @SpeedyGee .

I assume that if there was an issue with VTEC, it would show as a warning / fault on my OBD Reader, so as I have no errors showing up, everything is working ?

Can this be remapped for performance instead of economy ?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Not without hefty amounts of money thrown at it Roger. It would need work done on the engine to get any real notable gains.

I've looked at getting a Type-S in the past with idea of doing a K20A2 engine conversion on it (from a Civic Type-R) and end up with a five door hot hatch.
    The costs are just too high to warrant such a project though :Messed:

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Fair enough. Thanks for the useful feedback @SpeedyGee