Off-Topic VW accused of having software that turns off emission controls when driving

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jimjams, Saturday 19th Sep, 2015.

1. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  4. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Yep they should be punished but there's a lot if hypocrisy with the Americans when it comes to being "morally just" and themselves. The Bhopal disaster springs to mind not to mention the BP gulf crisis.

Modplod likes this.
  6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ plus the whole US capitalist ethos which ignores the "social costs" in their own country LOL

but as well as the $18 billion, it has also been suggested that other marques may sue VAG for loss of sales due to false VAG claims
    and then, if the MPG is affected by any new re-maps, the owners will similarly want compensation
    and then, what about Europe, have they done the same thing over here ?

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Well Germany practically controls Europe so me thinks not! Lol

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Not surprised, and I am pretty sure they are not the only ones, I suspect a lot of other car manufacturers are doing something similar, maybe even worse, you look at the some of the emissions figures and they must be making them up somewhere, you get 3.0 4.0 lite engines with less emissions then 1.2l petrols (slight exaggeration), but theres something not right.

However this incident just shows what a powerful marketing juggernaut the Germans are, they can sell lies and shite to anyone and people will think they are the best.

9. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Will anyone go to gaol if found culpable ?
    I think not
    Is this a story of what can we legally get away with ?
    Possibly
    Who will in reality be held accountable if there is a case to answer ?
    Possibly no one !

10. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    There's only one thing to this it's German

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have you seen the latest about VAG rigging their software to pass emission tests?

VW is accused of using a clever piece of software that can tell the car's computer when it is being tested for emissions.
    Apparently, tests are predictable and the computer can work it out. The car then temporarily switches on a system to cut emissions, making the engine as much as 40 times cleaner, according the regulator.

Volkswagen shares plunge 18% on exhaust scandal - BBC News

FirstHonda and HondaHeritage like this.
  12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

FirstHonda and Nels like this.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:blush: Only just saw it on the news. :blush:

14. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Be careful before slinging mud... I've heard the regulators in the US are widening their investigation to include other manufacturers... Can anyone say with absolute certainty that Honda might have done a similar thing?

15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It would seem that the VW problem exists in Europe too, because it was first detected in European tests by the International Council on Clean Transportation :eek:

Discrepancies in the European tests on the diesel models of the VW Passat, the VW Jetta and the BMW X5 last year gave Peter Mock an idea. Mock, European managing director of a little-known clean-air group, suggested replicating the tests in the U.S. The U.S. has higher emissions standards than the rest of the world and a history of enforcing them, so Mock and his American counterpart, John German, were sure the U.S. versions of the vehicles would pass the emissions tests, German said. That way, they reasoned, they could show Europeans it was possible for diesel cars to run clean. So began a series of events that resulted in Volkswagen AG admitting that it built “defeat device” software into a half-million of its diesel cars from 2009 to 2015 that automatically cheated on U.S. air-pollution tests.
    Reference: VW's Emissions Cheating Found by Curious Clean-Air Group - Bloomberg Business

It also seems that in Europe, diesel emissions have been behind the declared standard for a long time
    Reference: Diesel cars: Is it time to switch to a cleaner fuel? - BBC News

_84245370_diesel_emissions_624v4.

diesel_emissions_EU.

This is the standard way to do the "Smog Test" in California (using the OBD port and a quick visual inspection)

Someone has done a Hitler parody of the VW scandal

And finally, the Telegraph and the Guardian aren't impressed (so it's unbiased)

Volkswagen emissions scandal: millions of Britons could be driving illegal cars - Telegraph

VW emissions scandal could snare other firms, whistleblower claims | Business | The Guardian

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Honda leave screwing with the emission systems to third party remapping companies. Inhibiting diesel EGR is a very popular option and quite a few iDTECs are running around with their DPFs bypassed. It's time that MOT testing became more thorough in regards to these practices.

Nels and AccordCU2 like this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^It will be interesting to see - as the investigations start - whether other manufacturers were doing similar things. BBC News is reporting this morning that US investigators are to start testing vehicles from other manufacturers to see whether there is a trend.

To start, I guess they'll be looking at other VAG companies (SEAT, Skoda etc. - do they even sell in the US? Audi must do?).

I did hear an interview with an industry expert on Radio 5 last night, and he was saying that, when comparing actual emissions against 'test' emissions (which is where this all started I believe) only one vehicle was close to a match, and that was the BMW X5.

This story has much more to come I fear...

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Looking at official emissions figures of honda cars vs many of the others, especially the German stuff, they always seem a little higher so it would surprise me if they weren't accurate. Bit like the quoted MPG also, I've always thought the Honda stuff was more accurate and honest.

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Highly unlikely One won't find Honda diesel in the US , secondly Honda diesel are never seen as clean as the C02 is very high anyway. Honda will be fine.
    - - - Updated - - -
    what will this recall do make it churn out more C02 ? will the VED be retrospectively be increased for this lying on these cars

exec likes this.