Off-Topic VW Hack

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by FirstHonda, Thursday 11th Aug, 2016.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

jimjams likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Looks like the Bucks Herald are ahead of the curve, it's just starting to make headlines at the BBC now 'Millions' of Volkswagen cars can be unlocked via hack - BBC News

It seems that it's not exactly straightforward but, due to the limited number of encryption keys, it isn't difficult with the right software tools (once the transmission has been captured). I've read about this sort of thing before, and I thought it was feasible on most cars anyway, depending on the encryption key in your car and the encryption key that the "hacker" has obtained (so if your Honda is unlocked one morning and you are certain that you locked it the night before, then maybe a "hacker" captured the transmission when you locked the car and happened to have the right encryption key). But I read somewhere else that VW only use 4 encryption keys, and that is not many at all.

Just a thought, if the kit in the diesel car is mostly Bosch, then does this mean that ...O.M.G sell the diesel Honda and get a petrol Honda LOL

FirstHonda likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think I've posted this before, but a few months ago - in the village where I used to live - a number of cars were broken into one night, which was a shock as nothing ever happened there!

The police came door to door the day after. All they said was that all the cars targeted had items left in them - phones, sat navs, even a laptop (!) - and that they all had keyless entry. Only cars with keyless were targeted, and there were no signs on any of them of forced entry.

The crooks even left every door open after the thefts so as not to make any noise in the middle of the night by shutting them.

Sounds like some clever electronics were on hand to me...same idea as this 'hack' possibly?

The Bucks Herald setting the news agenda...who'd have ever thought those words would be written?

:lol:

jimjams likes this.
  5. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Crikey, in Wikipedia, there is a relatively easy way to get into cars that use "keyless entry" aka "remote lock/unlock".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_keyless_system#Security
    In 2015, it was reported that Samy Kamkar had built an inexpensive electronic device about the size of a wallet that could be concealed on or near a locked vehicle to capture a single keyless entry code to be used at a later time to unlock the vehicle. The device transmits a jamming signal to block the vehicle's reception of rolling code signals from the owner's fob, while recording these signals from both of his two attempts needed to unlock the vehicle. The recorded first code is sent to the vehicle only when the owner makes the second attempt, while the recorded second code is retained for future use. Kamkar stated that this vulnerability had been widely known for years to be present in many vehicle types, but was previously undemonstrated.

That technique will work on any car that using a rolling code.