Daily Driver Walter

6th Generation (1997-2002) vehicle added by Jables667, Saturday 23rd Jan, 2016

1. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Jables667 added a new Honda to the garage:

Basil

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Update:

Centre silencer and back box have both been replaced with factory parts. Originally the plan was to only replace the centre silencer, but the garage wasn't able to remove the remnants of it from the existing back box without damaging it. I found a garage fairly local to me that was able to do the work for a modest fee (including a new back box and exhaust fitting kit), and I will be taking the car back there tomorrow afternoon for its MOT. Fingers crossed!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Update: MOT Results

Poor Basil failed pretty badly. However, of the major issues it failed on, all were to be expected through general wear and tear for a car its age.

It failed on:

• Both front tyres were illegal (excessively worn). I expected this and planned to have them replaced as part of the remedial work required to pass its MOT.
    • All brake pads excessively worn. Again, I expected this and planned to have them replaced.
    • Both rear brake discs excessively worn.
    • Offside rear brake disc warped. This one I didn't expect. The steering wheel would wobble from time to time, but I assumed this was due to a misalignment of the wheels.
    • Headlights excessively deteriorated. That was quite plain to see and I'm in the market for some replacements. The originals have been buffed and polished which has made some improvement, but they're still not as perfect as I'd like.
    • And finally, for some comic relief, my registration plate was barely secure.

Here's the part where I sing the praises of my local garage, which I will be frequenting for future work. As part of the remedial work, I've had two new tyres, two new brake discs, all new brake pads and most of the exhaust system has been replaced, as per my previous update. The number plate has also been properly stuck on. As a precaution, they also gave me an oil and filter change. With parts and labour (exhaust included), I was quoted £590. When it came to pay, I was pleasantly surprised when the bill came to £450! The car was in the garage near enough the entire day, but a lot of that was spent just waiting around for Euro Car Parts to deliver the bits. The work itself didn't take long at all.

So, if any of you are in the South Devon area, I'd happily recommend this garage.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    People often forget that they can actually do prep work and preliminary basic checks before sending their car off to MOT.
    Almost all the failure points above could have been avoided as you pointed out.

But glad to hear that the end result was a happy one.

5. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Very much so. Though a lot of that was beyond my mechanical ability, at least it didn't come as a shock when I got the report. It has given me a kick up the bum to invest in some axle stands for next time, as well as to familiarise myself with the inner workings of the car. Got a few advisories to take care of, which I will do so with gusto.

6. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Updates!

Basil (though has since been renamed "Walter") has had a pretty hard time recently with the erratic weather. Problems began to arise when the EM light came on and he started sounding quite unwell and there was a definite drop in performance. An oil and filter change sorted this out and he's back to his perky self again. Until, of course, the battery finally died. A replacement was swiftly ordered, delivered and fitted, putting Walter back on the road once more.

I took the opportunity to fiddle with the air box while the battery was out, too. Some may recall me asking about modifying the air box as opposed to fitting an induction kit, and for the moment I've opted for the cheap and cheerful mod before throwing money at the cold air intake as a whole. Haven't quite figured out how I'm going to remove the resonator, but I have detached it from the box. It is essentially dead weight at the moment. The desired effect was achieved, however. Throttle response has improved significantly and the noise has given more than one boy racer pause for thought. In all, very pleased with the results and very grateful to all who weighed in on that particular debate. Having that information going ahead with the project was incredibly helpful.

Lastly, I was fairly displeased with the state of the downpipe cover. The rust and dirt was very depressing, so it has been treated to a clean up and a respray with some high heat matte black I found in my boot.

20160712_193907.

Here it is all put back together. It seemed a shame not to accentuate the details embossed on the cover, so with some children's poster paints I rather crudely painted over it. It hasn't caught on fire yet, surprisingly. But being water soluble, I imagine it won't be very long before it washes off. It shall be redone at some point, but the next job is respraying the chrome surround on the grille and the Honda badge.

exec and legend-ary like this.
  7. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    So, when I said the next job was to respray the chrome grille surround... I decided to do it now.

Before:
    IMG_20160228_164318.

After:

20160712_210138.

Contrary to the majority opinion, the emblem will be sprayed a bright green at a later date. For the moment, I'm very happy with the chrome emblem on black. Much sleeker.

exec likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good work @Jables667. What paint did you use on the trim ?

Haha, that should be interesting to see :Smile:

9. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Thanks man! It's standard Hycote gloss black with a Hycote clear lacquer. I used the paint and lacquer previously on a custom guitar project and was very happy with the results. About to go and peruse the paint section at Trago (if you're familiar with it?), so we may see a lime green badge set by the end of the day!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh, and trim fastenings. I've noticed there are no studs holding either of my bumpers on, so the front bumper looks a little misaligned and hangs a bit lower from the grille than it should.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Great job, love the little touches on the manifold heatshield.

resonator also just bolts off, you have to take bumper off and as a member recently rpeorted there is a hidden bolt behind and you have to take arch liners off to access.

11. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Down here in the Shire, you do what you can to stave off the inevitable boredom.
    Many thanks regarding the resonator. I've seen a few guides pertaining to the US Accord which said pretty much the same, except the engine bay is mirrored. Another guide said nothing about the bumper, instead advising that one should remove the front wheel. Bumper and arch lining removal do seem like the easiest options, so I'll muddle my way through that soon, weather permitting!

12. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    The badge has finally been done, after what seems like weeks of procrastination and searching for just the right shade of green. At first I was unsure whether I liked it, but it's grown on me.

I've also upgraded from my air box mod to a proper induction kit. It does require some further fiddling as it's a universal kit, but it's in and working properly with no issues. All that's left to do is tidy up the engine bay a bit. Though I will say this: I despise MAF sensors!

IMG_20160804_134024.

exec likes this.
  13. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Finally found my green headlight bulbs! Picked up a pair of 55W xenon halogen H7s and H1s for the dipped and main beams respectively, costing around £20 all told. Pictures will follow once it's dark enough to actually see them.

Just one query: The only bulbs that remain standard are the side or parking lights. I'd like to change them if I can (for green, obviously) but I'm not sure what bulbs they are. I'm also unsure how to get at them. Are they tucked away just above the main beam bulbs? Many thanks in advance!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Apparently I forgot to add pictures of the last two updates... First is the budget induction kit that, being a universal kit, was a huge headache to install. The duct tape serves to give me peace of mind as I don't fully trust the supplied clamps holding the piping together. All in all, however, it works beautifully and sounds fantastic.
    IMG_20160809_112551.
    Secondly is the one thing that I desperately wanted for my beastie. Something that my previous two cars had and this one did not: A remote central locking key fob. After much searching, a used and fairly old and battered one turned up on eBay for less than a tenner. Snapped it up and following the instructions I was given by the extremely helpful members here, I had it programmed and working within ten minutes.
    IMG_20160809_165408.

exec and SpeedyGee like this.
  14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
  15. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter