Detailing Want to make your trim black again without paint?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Dalamar, Saturday 13th Oct, 2012.

1. Dalamar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I made this today.... for best results make sure to do it in the shade :Smile:

Enjoy

Ichiban likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff buddy tried this on my first gen and the trims have come up spot on !!

Thanks for sharing it.

3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    sorry for resurrecting an old thread but wow..
    Going to try this on my spoiler as it is looking a bit grey/white blotchy.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Thanks for bumping the thread, I've not seen this post before LOL

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That's amazing! What a great tip :Thumbup:

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Awesome little tip, I've been using tyre gel on my ATR :Laughing:

7. AaKoo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great job. How does it look now?

8. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    For any one who has tried this: How long did it last? When it grayed out again was it just as bad or worse than before? Is there any risk to the paint?

Seems good but if it causes problems in the long run I can't hop out to the scrap yard for replacements.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I had the same concerns about paintwork, I mean it's designed to withstand a good amount of heat, it's also in the bay near the engine block right? But I don't know where its limits lie, @Nighthawk, any thoughts?

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I bought a heat gun for my CR-V especially the wheel arches, I'm sure I posted it here. Does a great job and lasts for ages but you have to be very careful with both the heat and also to make sure it is all done evenly.

I recently discovered that ASDA do their own trim back to black spray for only £2 and it's bloody marvellous lol Lasts for ages, can use our on tyres and is also great for the interior and helps cover any light scratches. For £2 it's better than the £8+ stuff.

exec, jd1959 and Nighthawk like this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I would be careful using a heatgun on molding that is still attached to a car, doesnt take that much heat really from a heatgun to start to bubble the paint

12. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Was going to try this today but just cannot seem to bring myself to take a heat gun to my car..:happycrying:

exec and Nighthawk like this.
  13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just make sure you use one that has a low setting and do lots of quick passes to build it up in a manner of speaking and it will be fine.

14. demian New Member Getting Started

I was annoyed by the faded plastic sill covers on my CG9 so I sourced some 3M matt black vinyl and wrapped them with it.

The result was as good as new and the total cost of the operation about 9 €. :Thumbup:

(Cleaning the sill covers and applying the vinyl was a real b**ch tho, never doing that again.)

Garrydhu likes this.
  15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It'd be good to see some pictures of that @demian :Smile:

16. demian New Member Getting Started

17. demian New Member Getting Started

While taking that I realized the sill itself has developed some surface rust. :brickwall:

I'd really, really like to outsource that job but then I'd probably have to shell out 300-400 € just for someone to go over it with a wire brush and give it a coat of Hammerite. And even then they'd no doubt do a crappy job.:Rant:

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That looks really good @demian, as good as new. I'm sure a heat gun/hair dryer would bring the arch trim back to looking at the same as well!

Add your car to the club garage so we can all take a proper look at her :Smile:

19. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Looks good. I was out scrubbing the bugs out of the front of mine and kept looking at the grey plastic and the window trims must do something about it. Really don't want to risk breaking the plastic by removing it unless necessary or the windscreen with the heat gun either way must do something.

20. demian New Member Getting Started

Linseed oil?

Never tried it myself but some folk over at retrorides swear by it.

I did try the heat gun method to my grill and while it did get a bit darker, I managed to make one spot the size of a eurocoin bubble a bit. Caution is definitely required.