Off-Topic Warning ! Calling all Android users

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Monday 1st Apr, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    if you receive a text message with Privet tut fotki kak tebe? with a bitly URL don't click on it .

Someone with a android phone I know has clicked on this URL and my phone is getting full of this :Angry:

I have a apple phone and I have deleted this message 5 time already but the send is persistent so don't be tempted to click on it

This could be a April fools day gag or an actual threat but just delete it.

Copied from an Estonian site

Android and Symbian SMS virus spreading

Warning! SMS has started to spread through the Android and Symbian phones for the virus to infect. Receive a SMS with the content: "Privet, Fotki Tut Warning! | There might be a problem with the requested link tebe kak?"If the phone is to go above the page Russian page opens, indicating that the update is available for your phone's browser and start downloading the installation file. If the owner of the phone software, self-replicating malware installed on your phone, which starts to send SMS messages with the same content to all the contacts to the phone book.

If your phone does not consent, the owner of the installation, the phone is not installed virus. By default, all phones are also prohibited the installation of applications from unknown sources, and that allow the user must first change the settings. In summary: the virus does not come with your phone, allowing installation of third party applications and specific software on either giving consent is possible that the virus itself to your phone.

If the phone is already infected, can be the first opportunity to use phones for anti-virus applications, and using them to try to remove the virus. If that does not help, can help to complete Reset (erase all content).

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Better still throw away that android virus filled phone and buy an iPhone.:Tongue:

Ichiban and FirstHonda like this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

:Whistle: did I fail to say that ! LOL

4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Don't want to jinx it but my android has been fine. Hate the email setup and like Google even less. All the family have android and had no problems, don't know anyone who has or at least they have not said as much.
    I dislike Apple as a company but admit I am won over by the imac i bought recently. Found the swap from windows to apple setup quite tricky but getting it together now :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Apple profits for this Christmas will go through the roof..

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ ...which will be easier as the roof will have been burnt down by a Samsung 'phone.

:lol:

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Note 7 was hailed as possibly the best smartphone of recent times and they were flying off the shelves. Initially I remember reading that it affected phones that had one particular supplier's batteries but now it seems all of them are affected

Jokes apart I think Samsung did the right thing by issuing a stop sale and asking everyone to return their handsets. So if anyone knows anyone with one of these let them know.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Apple would have just told you that you are holding it wrong.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Wrong.

Apple would have invented the iHandle and charged grateful owners £200 to buy it so they could use the phone...

:teasing:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Actually if this had been an Apple issue they would be selling the iExtinguisher, which is the more upmarket version of the iFireBlanket.

legend-ary likes this.
  11. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Ichiban and AccordCU2 like this.
  13. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I thought you Brexit lot like right wing Daily Express?

Zebster likes this.
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Don't you dare accuse me of liking the Daily Express! I mean, do all 'Remain' voters read the newspaper that agrees most with their position and loyalties?

Obviously, I'm referring to,
    Süddeutsche Zeitung

:bleh:

Ichiban likes this.
  15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Actually I just came back from a Samsung store. Wife's Galaxy S5 had been dropped endlessly over past 2 years and recently the screen started flickering so I read that it's an unrelated issue but the bezel dents might give them a reason to refuse warranty repairs but I wanted to try my luck and a week before the 2 year warranty expires (Apple offers only 1) I took her phone to see if it can be fixed under warranty. No questions asked they booked it and one week late (today) I got it back and it's all fixed (yay!)

So even though I'm an iPhone user myself I do think Samsung does a pretty job as a company. Plus the exploding phones are a Samsung issue and not Android related.

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Personally I find Samsung handsets very difficult to use, but I'm not sure if that is Android related or Samsung functionality. My work 'phone is a Samsung S6 Galaxy, and I hate it.

My personal iPhone is far easier and more intuitive to use, but - and I've said this before - my understanding is that it does far less than the Samsung equivalent. The issue with that being that probably only 5% of the population actually use all of the available tech on any of their devices...

17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Agreed. The useability issues are inherent to the Android software which allows you to do pretty much everything. In the beginning it was for nerds but now I think it has become quite polished and allows for anyone to use it.

My wife is not an advanced user but when even simple tasks such as attaching word document into webpages on Apple devices is a forbidden fruit people do feel constrained.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup agreed Samsung is doing a good job even the updated phone to stop this happening are catching fire. you can't make this up.. good job good company.:salute: