Electrical & Lights Warranty Extension for Honda Accord Tourer- Power Tailgate Failure

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Monday 27th Feb, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This TSB was issued by Honda on the 1st of July 2009

The affected Tourer are CM1,CM2,CN2 for production years 2003,2004 & 2005

The Symptom

1. Tailgate cannot be Locked or Unlocked.

2. Tailgate will not Open or Close.

3. Tailgate will not stay in an open position.

The Cause

1. The Control Unit has misread the switch position within the Lock and Closer assembly and entered into failure mode.

2. Grease has leaked from the Power Tailgate Gate (PTG) Motor into clutch armature causing the clutch to slip.

3. Gas within the tailgate Support Strut has leaked due to an internal seal being damaged during production.

To learn more about part location look at this thread http://hondakarma.com/threads/92/

The Fix

1. The Control Unit software has been amended to prevent misreading of the switch position.

2. The quantity of grease used in the PTG Motor has been reduced to prevent leakage.

3. Production process of the Support Strut has been amended to prevent damage being caused to the internal seal.

The Affected VIN Range

PTG Motor
    • 03YM Beginning - JHMCM1***4C201028
    • 03YM Beginning - JHMCM2***4C201094
    • 04YM Beginning - JHMCN2***4C203886

Support strut
    • 03YM Beginning - JHMCM1***5C201401
    • 03YM Beginning - JHMCM2***5C200519
    • 04YM Beginning - JHMCN2***5C203091

Control unit
    • 03YM Beginning - JHMCM1***5C202160
    • 03YM Beginning - JHMCM2***5C200893
    • 04YM Beginning - JHMCN2***5C205159

Parts Details

Part Application Part Number

PTG Motor All 74962-SED-901

Control Unit
    MT 74970-SED-G03
    AT 74970-SED-903

Strut R
    Petrol 04741-SED-900
    Diesel 04741-SEG-900

Strut L

Petrol 04746-SED-900
    Diesel 04746-SEG-900

Warranty Extension

Extended to a total of 7 (3 + 4) years or 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometres.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    bumping this thread just for owners with second hand motors to see if their VIN number is affected.

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

HI
    Could you confirm if I have an affected vehicle and potential warranty claim?
    My chassis number is JHMCM2****C200816

I'm pretty sure the grease has leaked onto the clutch on mine since it judders as if the clutch is slipping.
    Thanks
    Tony

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Tony what is the digit before the C JHMCM2****C200816 ? look above if yours is one of them then it was affected. As for warranty work you are now outside this extensions time period you will not be able to make a claim via a Honda dealer. HUK will decline it.

Blame should be apportioned to the previous owner for not talking the car into the dealer for this work? Does your car have a full dealer history with no lapses between services?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Let this TSB be a reminder for all second hand tourer owners. please operate the tailgate a number of time with the engine running to ensure there is no issue.

tell the seller you have to test it thoroughly and not be embarrassed to look like a plonker testing it , tailgate repairs are mega money. Look at the VIN number that will tell you if your new Accord was affected by this or not.

6. Louey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm guessing that if I took my 2005 Tourer to Honda they would not honour the above warranty anymore?

7. DiagTech Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Are you having issues with the tailgate?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is correct Louey the time has elapsed for the extension.

9. Louey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, I've posted the issue in the Tailgate thread. It doesn't operate apart from using the internal mechanism.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Bu**er is the appropriate phrase :Smile:

How were owners notified of the Warranty Extension? Or was it only if the issue came to light.

Last edited: Friday 6th Sep, 2013
  10. DiagTech Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The only thing you could do if you don't want to shell out for a new closer unit would be to remove the closer unit reset it to its neutral position and then re install it, then clear the DTC's out of the tailgate control unit it will then work. For how long is another matter may get a few months out of it though.

11. Louey Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

By closer unit, you mean the motor. I'm also guessing DTC is the fault codes. Thanks for the advice :Smile:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Owners are not notified of warranty extension this info is only released via Honda dealers and if you use them for your servicing. Honda does not have to legal announce warranty extensions. We have that info which we release for our members to take note and help out.

13. djgoulty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If one has a 2003 Tourer with this problem it would appear Honda will no longer treat the problem under warranty due to the time period lapse. Is that correct or would Honda still rectify the fault under said extended warranty?

14. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2003 is 10 years old plus. Honda will not want to know. Anything older than 57 plate they won't look at.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda will not entertain any sort offer on a 10 year old car .sorry